The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 13th, 2006   Sinyaa is offline   #49
Sinyaa
Geoffan

I think there are still a lot of great stories to tell about Conner - a return being one of them. I would love to see him back, and not just because I am a YJ-generation reader.

I didn't hate Conner's death, but I feel like his story is incomplete. The death makes for a good arc, but I don't think it's a satisfying end to the character's story as a whole.
ddf
callla View Post
Wow. I really don't need to add anymore, because you just said everything I wanted to right there^!

Old November 13th, 2006   TalonTheater is offline   #50
TalonTheater
persona non grata

They all had equal time, except Kory, who was being det up to leave the book.
ddf
Nightwing View Post
I'm thinkin' you need to reread some of this book. :/
Why? This is a comic book why should death be the only constant? Unless the death is essential (Batman's parents, etc), then there shouldn't be any limit to ressurections.
ddf
One could argue that this death is meaningful and essential as well. And death has never, EVER been a constant in comics.

Old November 13th, 2006   Outburstt is offline   #51
Outburstt
Geoffan

One could argue that this death is meaningful and essential as well. And death has never, EVER been a constant in comics.
ddf
TalonTheater View Post

Never? Ever? Are you sure? I mean, I've only been reading comics since I was about 9, back in 91. Wouldn't you know it, that was when Superman fought Doomsday, the first time. I think we all remember what happened there. Seems to me that maybe that was the floodgates cause I can't think of a title that I've read since then where someone hasn't died (and in most cases come back)

Worry is a misuse of imagination.
Old November 13th, 2006   TalonTheater is offline   #52
TalonTheater
persona non grata

Alright, not "never ever." At least since the 80s.

Old November 13th, 2006   Outburstt is offline   #53
Outburstt
Geoffan

Oh man, you responded before I could toss in more examples. Darn you!!

Old November 14th, 2006   Nightwing is offline   #54
Nightwing
Aerial Avenger

So your saying the death of bucky wasn't essential to Cap?
ddf
tmoret View Post
No I'm not saying that, because I never mentioned Cap, Bucky, or Marvel. But Bucky's death isn't essential to Captain America, being Captain America, like my example of Bruce Wayne's parents being essential to him being Batman. Bucky's death set up something else in the Marvel U, there were no sidekicks, no teenage Next Gen of the older heroes, like DC. But now Marvel has changed that with the Young Avengers, and the whole "Marvel Next", that includes Arana, and X-23.

ddf
TalonTheater View Post
I have re-read it a few times, the most recently 2 days ago, and I still stand by my statement.

ddf
TalonTheater View Post
How was this death meaningful? Which by the way I never said, I said essential, not meaningful.

Well I never said it was a constant, but some fans think it should be. Bruce Wayne's Parents have remained dead, because their death is essential to Bruce Wayne being Batman. Uncle Ben has remained dead (The alternate Universe Ben isn't the same), because his death is essential to Peter Parker being Spider-Man. Conner's death isn't essential to anyone, or anything.

The Proper Office Of A Friend Is To Side With You When You Are In The Wrong. Nearly Anybody Will Side With You When You Are In The Right.
-Bart Allen
Old November 14th, 2006   DeTroyes is offline   #55
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

Conner will be back. We all know it, the writers know it, and probably deep down in their cold hearts the editors do as well. Its only a matter of when.

What I suspect is going on is that DC wants everyone to get comfortable with the post-Conner DCU before springing it on us. Everyone moves on, everyone starts to get over things and get caught up with the here-and-now, maybe start to believe it'll never really happen. Then, when you least expect it, they'll spring it on everyone and create such an uproar that it'll practically guarantee a sell-out. Remember, DC is still a business; its in their best interest to string us along for as long possible.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old November 14th, 2006   TalonTheater is offline   #56
TalonTheater
persona non grata

I have re-read it a few times, the most recently 2 days ago, and I still stand by my statement.
ddf
Nightwing View Post
Read it again? *shrug*
How was this death meaningful? Which by the way I never said, I said essential, not meaningful.
ddf
His death was meaningful in that he saved the universe. If he hadn't done that, Luthor would've crushed Earth-1 (or was it Earth-2?). It had a classic buildup (spending the day with his girlfriend the day before, he was portrayed as quite the knight during the previous issues and Annual), and overall just felt complete. It was a good death.
Well I never said it was a constant, but some fans think it should be. Bruce Wayne's Parents have remained dead, because their death is essential to Bruce Wayne being Batman. Uncle Ben has remained dead (The alternate Universe Ben isn't the same), because his death is essential to Peter Parker being Spider-Man. Conner's death isn't essential to anyone, or anything.
ddf
If you think death should be a constant, then wouldn't you want Superboy to stay dead then?

Old November 14th, 2006   Nightwing is offline   #57
Nightwing
Aerial Avenger

Read it again? *shrug*
ddf
TalonTheater View Post
I will, because I enjoy those issues, and I will still stand by my statement.

His death was meaningful in that he saved the universe. If he hadn't done that, Luthor would've crushed Earth-1 (or was it Earth-2?). It had a classic buildup (spending the day with his girlfriend the day before, he was portrayed as quite the knight during the previous issues and Annual), and overall just felt complete. It was a good death.
ddf
TalonTheater View Post
He could have destroyed the tower, shutting down Alex's plans by using his TTK, or crashing into it and coming out of it alive like everyone else around it did. It doesn't feel complete, it feels like when Superman died, and like someone said earlier, it felt like the first chapter, not an ending.

If you think death should be a constant, then wouldn't you want Superboy to stay dead then?
ddf
TalonTheater View Post
I never said that. I said there are certain deaths that should stick. The deaths that should stick are those that are essential, example Bruce Wayne's parent, Dick Grayson's parents, Uncle Ben, Peter Parker's parents, those deaths are essential to the characters. Other then those type of deaths death shouldn't remain a constant.

The Proper Office Of A Friend Is To Side With You When You Are In The Wrong. Nearly Anybody Will Side With You When You Are In The Right.
-Bart Allen
Old November 14th, 2006   hyper_neko is offline   #58
hyper_neko

I think there are still a lot of great stories to tell about Conner - a return being one of them. I would love to see him back, and not just because I am a YJ-generation reader.

I didn't hate Conner's death, but I feel like his story is incomplete. The death makes for a good arc, but I don't think it's a satisfying end to the character's story as a whole.
ddf
callla View Post
Wow. I really don't need to add anymore, because you just said everything I wanted to right there^!
ddf
Sinyaa View Post
That's exactly how I feel too. ^_^

I think he'll come back, but not anytime soon.

"Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old November 14th, 2006   Adam Jones is offline   #59
Adam Jones
Mostly Harmless.

Conner is the only character that I've ever wanted to come back from the dead.

"Sometimes, you have to be the boss of dancing." - Michael Scott.

www.myspace.com/bizarroadam
Old November 15th, 2006   Timekeeper is offline   #60
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

Agreed. I definitely think if Conner appears in the Teen Titans GO! Comic book it could help him come back.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old November 15th, 2006   Outburstt is offline   #61
Outburstt
Geoffan

Agreed. I definitely think if Conner appears in the Teen Titans GO! Comic book it could help him come back.
ddf
Timekeeper View Post

Is that planned? I would have thought DiDio wanted to keep Superboy away from any type of print at all. I figured by now it's a secret vendetta.

I'm also back to hoping more so that he's SuperNova. I know there are a bunch of you out there who have a ton of reasons why he won't be, and tha's fine. I don't wanna hear those again, about as much as you want me to go on again why I want SuperNova to be Conner.
Last edited by Outburstt; November 15th, 2006 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Correction

Old November 16th, 2006   david is offline   #62
david
persona non grata

He could have destroyed the tower, shutting down Alex's plans by using his TTK.
ddf
From Infinite Crisis 6:
Superboy - "I can disassemble things by touching them, but... if you're thinking about the tower, it's too big.

Old November 16th, 2006   deejaytee is offline   #63
deejaytee

im sure he would have been able to do it if he focused more...i mean sbp was there and cassie was in trouble....i mean come on. anyways i just want him back....like now....the main reason why i even liked conner was cuz he was a teen just like me...and guess what? when he does come back in 5, 10, 15, 20 years from now....im not going to care....im a comic book fan and what not....but my true passion was reading how superboy grew and while he grew i grew...it was so kewl like having a comic character that when you read about you just see yourself. also what i want to point out is that how hopeless it feels to have faith in a hero....i mean like not knowing if your fave charcter is gunna do or not....that sucks....its like the only way you can have a sure bet is if you only like the holy three....lord knows DC wont touch them....now im not saying geoff is a bad writer...i love his work....i just dont have faith in heroes anymore....they die like nothing...i almost wish earth-2 would come back

Old November 16th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #64
Ohoni
persona non grata

From Infinite Crisis 6:
Superboy - "I can disassemble things by touching them, but... if you're thinking about the tower, it's too big.
ddf
It totally wasn't, he's done bigger, or at the very least he could have sheared off enough of it to make a difference. He could definitely do more damage to the tower with his TTK than he could by ramming through it like a human bullet.