The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old November 11th, 2006   The Krystal Method is offline   #17
The Krystal Method
My <:3_)~ likes HAUS

Hey, I loved the character. Anyone who can kick butt in jeans and a tee is awesome. I loved the storylines he created (he even made Luthor care about something), but he went out with a bang. He saved the universe from Alex Luthor (of course, I still somewhat think Alex had the right idea, but that's just me...). He got the girl, got a statue, and overshadowed everyone else who died in the Crisis. His death meant something.

Bringing him back would be cheapening things. I'm sure he'll come back eventually, but right now, as much as I dig the character, I just think it would be too much of a cop out.
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
No, I'm talking in regards of you saying SG's death was meaningless.

"We tell lies about each other because the truth is such a bore."
Old November 11th, 2006   Old School is offline   #18
Old School
persona non grata

whats the rush people.

I find it funny, folks say leave barry allen dead. He sacraficed his life blah blah blah..

yet conner has been dead what for a few months and people are already begging for his return.

didnt conner sacrafice his life as well?

and cmon like I said before you know conner will be back one day.

look at SUPERBOY PRIME he came back.... 20 YEARS LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 11th, 2006   DeTroyes is offline   #19
DeTroyes
Dagnabbit!

Location: Miskatonic University, Dept. of Ancient Manuscripts

Personally, I think they're going to keep Conner's return as a "rainy day" plot gimmick. If there ever comes a time when sales are really down, that's when they'll do it.

Beast Boy/Raven 'shipper

Where is John Galt?

Looking for meaning, searching for answers, finding nothing but loose change and pocket lint.
Old November 11th, 2006   Old School is offline   #20
Old School
persona non grata

Personally, I think they're going to keep Conner's return as a "rainy day" plot gimmick. If there ever comes a time when sales are really down, that's when they'll do it.
ddf
DeTroyes View Post

maybe in time for the next crisis

Old November 12th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #21
Ohoni
persona non grata

True that it doesn't feel the same without Conner but to bring him back so soon would make his sacrefice pointless,
ddf
No, his "sacrifice" made his sacrifice pointless. It never had a point (aside from salkes, which has already come and gone), so I don't see how fixing it would change that in any way.

I find it funny, folks say leave barry allen dead. He sacraficed his life blah blah blah..

yet conner has been dead what for a few months and people are already begging for his return.

didnt conner sacrafice his life as well?
ddf
Don't compare Conner's death to Barry's, it's a shallow compairison aat best. The situations were completely different. It's like comparing Hawkeye's death in Disassembled with Phoenix's death in the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Old November 12th, 2006   Old School is offline   #22
Old School
persona non grata

Don't compare Conner's death to Barry's, it's a shallow compairison aat best. The situations were completely different. It's like comparing Hawkeye's death in Disassembled with Phoenix's death in the Dark Phoenix Saga.
ddf
Ohoni View Post
well conner was a shallow character compared to barry. The situations werent different. just that barry went out with a bang, conner went out like a wuss.

dont blame us.. blame geoff.

Old November 12th, 2006   TalonTheater is offline   #23
TalonTheater
persona non grata

No, his "sacrifice" made his sacrifice pointless. It never had a point (aside from salkes, which has already come and gone), so I don't see how fixing it would change that in any way.
ddf
Ohoni View Post
If Superboy's death didn't have a point (which it did, it has been one of the best deaths in comics recently), then whose possibly could? He saved the universe.

ddf
They both died saving the universe. Seems pretty close to me.

Old November 12th, 2006   eboogyman is offline   #24
eboogyman
Lawn Chair Repairman

In all honsety, DCU is really not the same for me without Conner. Ive dropped alot of books since his death ( I used to read all DC major books ).

Seems stupid? Its not, the Titans was the cornerstone of why I liked the universe so much. Now with the loss of Bart and Conner, I dont feel connected to it anymore.

I still read the Titans but other then reading it quickly to see if Conner will come back, Its just another comic to me thats an ok read.

I was almost thinking they would actually give SB a series post OYL, and they killed him off?!?!

So for at least for my money (and slander by not pushing DC to anyone anymore) DC has lost readership alot for that decision.

Old November 12th, 2006   eboogyman is offline   #25
eboogyman
Lawn Chair Repairman

The benift in no way justified the gain. Titans is ok, and the Flash stinks to high heaven.

Im sure Geoff could have done just as well without Conner dead angnst.

Removing two great characters gave me nothing great in return.

Old November 12th, 2006   DefenderOfTerra is offline   #26
DefenderOfTerra
Can't I be Titans Flash?

Bringing him back would be pointless. He is like Barry Allen, one of the few heroes to get a good sendoff. You bring him back, you cheapen a good story. Their deaths mattered, unlike say Supergirl's.

He's dead, and for the time being, it looks like it will stay that way. Don't let an attachment to a character keep you from enjoying present stories.
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
I agree completly. Well said.

Defender for the origin all incarnations of Terra

Remember remember the fifth of November...

V for Vendetta
Old November 12th, 2006   Nightwing is offline   #27
Nightwing
Aerial Avenger

I'll answer this question, first.

I don't read much Superman tittles so I don't know who this Cir-El character is.
When was she used ? who was she ? what happened to her?
thanks for the answers.
ddf
Ramon View Post
After Linda left a Supergirl appeared in the Superman books claiming to be Supergirl, the future daughter of Superman & Lois Lane. I'll cut out a lot of the story (You can PM me if you want to know more). Cir-El turned out to be a girl from our time named Mia, who Brainiac imbeded himself in, and the Futuresmiths grafted Superman's DNA onto her DNA so Brainiac would be safe since he knew the safest place would be in Superman's child. In the end Cir-El, jumped into the timestrem and stopped hersel from becoming Supergirl, so Cir-El never existed.

Now onto the topic. First I would like to say that I'm known for liking just about everything Geoff does, and I'm often called out for defending stories, etc. But I still think Conner didn't have to die, or at least stay dead.

Superboy's sacrifice won't change. Did he still save the entire Universe? Yes. Did he still risk his life for the entire universe? Yes. Was he willing to give up his life to save all of reality? Yes. So the sacrifice is not cheapened.

The lesson his death taught the others is still intact. Before the Crisis COnner didn't do anything, he sat on the sidelines, doubting himself, but in the end, he stepped up his game and went into the battle without reservations, knowing he may not come out of it. Whether he lived or died, the lesson is still there, actually it's even better, because with him dying, it might put more doubt into the younger heroes, who might think if I step up I could die.

Conner's death wasn't a great heroic death. He didn't die trading that final blow that killed him and Superboy Prime. He fell through a tower, and was the only casuality. Nightwing survived, no worse for the wear. Wonder Girl survived. Alex Luthor survived. Superboy Prime survived. Superboy was the only one who died, in a cheap way to keep the Superman family tragedy quota.

Barry did NOT die a noble death! I'm a part of B.A.S.H., and I actually remember the original death scene of Barry Allen, he didn't die a hero, he died clinging for life calling out for someone to help him, while turning to dust. He didn't die with a smile on his face, a wink, and going into the light, that is his revised death. I also think Barry, as well as Wally should come back.

As stated above, Conner did not take up too much story in Titans. Geoff also explored Bart becoming Kid Flash, Cassie and her Olympus ties, Raven's return, and more, so Conner didn't steal any scenes in the book.

I am enjoying the current stories, but there is even more potential, if Conner came back, and without him and Bart, a certain feeling in the DCU is missing.

Why should we have to wait 20 years for his return? He's a major character, he is the next gen of DC's flagship character. It was the fans that kept Spider-Girl from cancelation, and brought her back from it, why wait until DC forgets about the fans? I think the Superboy fans can learn something from the Spider-Girl fans.

DC can at least give us some sort of hope, let us know in someway that his return is coming. I can wait until Teen Titans #50, or #75, if we knew that he was coming back. When Superman died, we had the hope he would come back, because DC let us know it, let us know Superboy will be back.

The Proper Office Of A Friend Is To Side With You When You Are In The Wrong. Nearly Anybody Will Side With You When You Are In The Right.
-Bart Allen
Old November 12th, 2006   Old School is offline   #28
Old School
persona non grata

DC can at least give us some sort of hope, let us know in someway that his return is coming. I can wait until Teen Titans #50, or #75, if we knew that he was coming back. When Superman died, we had the hope he would come back, because DC let us know it, let us know Superboy will be back.
ddf
Nightwing View Post
well you know superboy will be back one day. Now if your asking for an actual date thats pressing it a bit.

Old November 12th, 2006   TalonTheater is offline   #29
TalonTheater
persona non grata

Now onto the topic. First I would like to say that I'm known for liking just about everything Geoff does, and I'm often called out for defending stories, etc. But I still think Conner didn't have to die, or at least stay dead.

Superboy's sacrifice won't change. Did he still save the entire Universe? Yes. Did he still risk his life for the entire universe? Yes. Was he willing to give up his life to save all of reality? Yes. So the sacrifice is not cheapened.
ddf
Nightwing View Post
That's no more than what any other superhero does on a daily basis. If he dies and comes back right away, there's no sacrifice at all.
The lesson his death taught the others is still intact. Before the Crisis Conner didn't do anything, he sat on the sidelines, doubting himself, but in the end, he stepped up his game and went into the battle without reservations, knowing he may not come out of it. Whether he lived or died, the lesson is still there, actually it's even better, because with him dying, it might put more doubt into the younger heroes, who might think if I step up I could die.

Conner's death wasn't a great heroic death. He didn't die trading that final blow that killed him and Superboy Prime. He fell through a tower, and was the only casuality. Nightwing survived, no worse for the wear. Wonder Girl survived. Alex Luthor survived. Superboy Prime survived. Superboy was the only one who died, in a cheap way to keep the Superman family tragedy quota.
ddf
He prevented Luthor from destroying any more Earths by destroying the tower. How is that not a heroic, meaningful death?
Barry did NOT die a noble death! I'm a part of B.A.S.H., and I actually remember the original death scene of Barry Allen, he didn't die a hero, he died clinging for life calling out for someone to help him, while turning to dust. He didn't die with a smile on his face, a wink, and going into the light, that is his revised death. I also think Barry, as well as Wally should come back.
ddf
Barry had a great death. He also did it for the sake of the universe; with his last bit of energy, doing what's right.
As stated above, Conner did not take up too much story in Titans. Geoff also explored Bart becoming Kid Flash, Cassie and her Olympus ties, Raven's return, and more, so Conner didn't steal any scenes in the book.
ddf
I'm probably exaggerating when I say he took up a lot of time in the book, because it was a combination of Tim, Conner, and Cassandra. Among those three, they were at least half of the book.
I am enjoying the current stories, but there is even more potential, if Conner came back, and without him and Bart, a certain feeling in the DCU is missing.
ddf
Once the new team is established more, this book'll feel complete again.
Why should we have to wait 20 years for his return? He's a major character, he is the next gen of DC's flagship character. It was the fans that kept Spider-Girl from cancellation, and brought her back from it, why wait until DC forgets about the fans? I think the Superboy fans can learn something from the Spider-Girl fans.

ddf
You already know he's going to come back.

Old November 12th, 2006   Ugh is offline   #30
Ugh
Robins trapped in a well?

No! DEAD! IS! DEAD!

My ocean is the endless ocean of space...
Old November 12th, 2006   Timekeeper is offline   #31
Timekeeper
Advanced Geoffan

I also have a good idea to spread the word about people who want Conner back. Make a mention of using Conner Avatars in your signature, and use a Conner Avatar.

Damn, I needed a new signature :P
Old November 12th, 2006   Outburstt is offline   #32
Outburstt
Geoffan

I'm probably exaggerating when I say he took up a lot of time in the book, because it was a combination of Tim, Conner, and Cassandra. Among those three, they were at least half of the book.

Once the new team is established more, this book'll feel complete again.

You already know he's going to come back.
ddf
TalonTheater View Post
But Conner, Tim, & Cassie were half of the team. Along with Bart they were the YJ 4. A major point of the book from the start was to trian the heroes of tomorrow. Shouldn't they have had half the book if they were half the team?

Maybe to you when the new team is established it'll feel complete again, and that's fair. To me When the core team that I started reading for is back it'll feel complete. I'll agree to disagree with you, if you will

Sadly, no. I don't know he's coming back. I HOPE he is, but I lose some of that hope with each passing issue of Titans, 52, & Superman. With no mention of Robin's cloning attempt since his "moment" with Cassie, no mention of the "Conner Cult" , No emotion from Clark, plus the mention of a new Superboy from Lois, it just dosen't seem like Kon has a good chance of coming back.

Worry is a misuse of imagination.