The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #129
Green Effigy

But his relates to the field of business. Your's is...well it's something else that really doesn't make sense in the context.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Wow, really. You don't say....

Old April 7th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #130
jafabian
Iím not dead.

ddf
Green Effigy View Post

Let's try to be a little more civil here shall we???

Old April 7th, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #131
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

ddf
Green Effigy View Post
I'm not sure that what I posted warranted such a response...but okay.
Have fun on the Bloc pal.

ddf
jafabian View Post
You got it Mister J.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #132
Green Effigy

ddf
jafabian View Post
Okay.

Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #133
Green Effigy

I'm not sure that what I posted warranted such a response...but okay.
Have fun on the Bloc pal.

You got it Mister J.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Okay pick your top 7 JLA for the movie if you could make it happen.

Old April 7th, 2011   starks is offline   #134
starks
Geoffan

They need to do a World's Finest movie before a JLA movie IMO.

Old April 7th, 2011   darthlucifuge is offline   #135
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Okay pick your top 7 JLA for the movie if you could make it happen.
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
-Superman
-Batman
-Wonder WOman
-Green Lantern (any would do really)
-The Flash (wally or barry)
-Martian Manhunter
-Aquaman

basically Morrisons run.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old April 7th, 2011   5andman is offline   #136
5andman
Master Geoffan

Blade was unknown outside of comic books and spawned 2 sequels and a tv show.

Batman bombed back in 1997 and Nolan revives it 8 years later, becomes a success, with another hit (same crew and character), 3 years after that making a billion dollars. Out of that whole revenue they can sure make a few other movies in regards of DC properties than are not Batman.

And to answer your question, yes I would put everything in the line to bring such characters to the big screen.
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
Wesley Snipes was attached to Blade. That was the major reason it got made.

Batman is a known money-making commodity. It's a no-brainer. Even if DK3 made only $120M. WB would keep churning Batman product.

Of course you would put it ALL on the line (You're not a bean-counter under enormous amounts of pressure and stress), you've never been under that type of scrutiny.

Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #137
Green Effigy

-Superman
-Batman
-Wonder WOman
-Green Lantern (any would do really)
-The Flash (wally or barry)
-Martian Manhunter
-Aquaman

basically Morrisons run.
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Hell yeah!!!! That's what I was thinking about today. I though of "Rock of Ages" storyline and I remember watching Matthew McConahey in Ring of Fire, before Bale got famous, and he looked like he could play a young Connor Hawke (Green Arrow II) from "Rock of Ages." If they did the Morrison's run Wally and Kyle should be it. I like the dynamics between Wally and Kyle, they didn't trust each other, like their precedesors. I also wanted to see the Atom involved.

Old April 7th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #138
jafabian
Iím not dead.

At some point this all will become a reality, especially since the marvelous competition has some solid projects going on. I'm curious as to who would be the villain of the JLA movie? As a whole, the JLA doesn't have a rogues gallery that's readily recognizable to the movie-going audience that doesn't follow comics.

Amazo might translate well onto the big screen but characters like Professor Ivo, Amos Fortune, Kanjar Ro, Doctor Destiny, Appelaxians, T.O. Morrow, Shaggy Man or Starbreaker don't strike me as characters a studio would want to use as the villain of the piece.

Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #139
Green Effigy

Wesley Snipes was attached to Blade. That was the major reason it got made.

Batman is a known money-making commodity. It's a no-brainer. Even if DK3 made only $120M. WB would keep churning Batman product.

Of course you would put it ALL on the line (You're not a bean-counter under enormous amounts of pressure and stress), you've never been under that type of scrutiny.
ddf
5andman View Post

Batman is a money-making commodity and so is Superman. But are you willing to say the same about Superman Returns? The guy who brough Xmen 1 and 2 tried his luck at DC's Golden Mine and fails (not proportionally cause it made a very good profit) but the fans hated it. And Batman and Robin was the reason why no one wanted to touch comic book properties again.

A year later after B&R, Blade comes out. Snipes was attached to Blade. For a moment people didn't know that Blade wasn't a comic book, and it excel well both in profit and fans alike.

Okay, I'm not a genius when it comes to money, (so far 2 people made that point) I get it, I don't work in an office, I don't deal with numbers; but I can see the potential on the characters.

Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #140
Green Effigy

At some point this all will become a reality, especially since the marvelous competition has some solid projects going on. I'm curious as to who would be the villain of the JLA movie? As a whole, the JLA doesn't have a rogues gallery that's readily recognizable to the movie-going audience that doesn't follow comics.

Amazo might translate well onto the big screen but characters like Professor Ivo, Amos Fortune, Kanjar Ro, Doctor Destiny, Appelaxians, T.O. Morrow, Shaggy Man or Starbreaker don't strike me as characters a studio would want to use as the villain of the piece.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Prometheus or The White Martians could be great for a villain.

Old April 7th, 2011   5andman is offline   #141
5andman
Master Geoffan

Batman is a money-making commodity and so is Superman. But are you willing to say the same about Superman Returns? The guy who brough Xmen 1 and 2 tried his luck at DC's Golden Mine and fails (not proportionally cause it made a very good profit) but the fans hated it. And Batman and Robin was the reason why no one wanted to touch comic book properties again.

A year later after B&R, Blade comes out. Snipes was attached to Blade. For a moment people didn't know that Blade wasn't a comic book, and it excel well both in profit and fans alike.

Okay, I'm not a genius when it comes to money, (so far 2 people made that point) I get it, I don't work in an office, I don't deal with numbers; but I can see the potential on the characters.
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
Not really sure what your argument(s) are:

i) With Superman & Batman? My point is, both properties have been around for +70 years, and, regardless of past recent failures, they have traditionally made money for WB decade after decade.
Regardless, of B&R & SR sucking. WB was going to make another film(s). IT was just a matter of finding the right "team".

ii) Again, it got made because of Snipes involvement and it was a low budget risk-managed gamble. It did not 'excel' in profit(s) (see boxofficemojo.com), but, it made it's money back with reasonably good returns in aftermarket (DVD, PPV, etc.). Another perfect example, is Austin Powers or even Harold & Kumar, didn't do great box office, but good aftermarket.

iii) Of course there are potential for all properties. But to get any property off the ground -- the stars have to literally align to get it made. That means weighing: script(s), cost efficiencies, risk(s), 'FINANCING', talent, talent availability, scheduling, pre-production, filming locales, marketing strategies, rights, copyrights, legalities, etc., etc. etc. ....

Old April 7th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #142
Green Effigy

Not really sure what your argument(s) are:

i) With Superman & Batman? My point is, both properties have been around for +70 years, and, regardless of past recent failures, they have traditionally made money for WB decade after decade.
Regardless, of B&R & SR sucking. WB was going to make another film(s). IT was just a matter of finding the right "team".

ii) Again, it got made because of Snipes involvement and it was a low budget risk-managed gamble. It did not 'excel' in profit(s) (see boxofficemojo.com), but, it made it's money back with reasonably good returns in aftermarket (DVD, PPV, etc.). Another perfect example, is Austin Powers or even Harold & Kumar, didn't do great box office, but good aftermarket.

iii) Of course there are potential for all properties. But to get any property off the ground -- the stars have to literally align to get it made. That means weighing: script(s), cost efficiencies, risk(s), 'FINANCING', talent, talent availability, scheduling, pre-production, filming locales, marketing strategies, rights, copyrights, legalities, etc., etc. etc. ....
ddf
5andman View Post
Taking out the Snipes argument.......

This post is/was about the JLA film being made. The core of JLA is 7 member, 3 of them HAVE to be in the film, Supes/Bats/WW is a most. The other characters that no one want to invest time and money get forgotten left in the dust. Those other 4 characters need an origin movie to attrac not only fans but others that are have no idea who the character is. They are doing GL already while also preping for a sequel, right behind DK3 and MOS.

Bats/Supes are 70 years but everyone knows their origin or they can googleit. You based your view on a character that is marketable, ok he is. But DC is owned by WB, and they can do just about anything if they wanted years ago. Now is the time for them to start building that universe, slowly and build up to the climax of a JLA film.

One thing that I would like to watch (which I doubt I'll see it in my time) is JLA vs Avengers. It took almost 20 years to put it together in a comic book, maybe it will take 50 years to see in a film.

In Blackest Day, In Darkest Night.....
Old April 7th, 2011   JRM is offline   #143
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

ddf
jafabian View Post
the Villian needs to be both simple to explain and make sense - I'd almost go with some version of the Appelaxians. The only other way to go would be use some of the various baddies used in the lead up movies and do a Injustice Gang etc. Or perhaps some version of the Royal Flush. Simple and requiring the full group to solve is the basic need.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old April 7th, 2011   5andman is offline   #144
5andman
Master Geoffan

Tgoogleit. You based your view on a character that is marketable, ok he is. But DC is owned by WB, and they can do just about anything if they wanted years ago. Now is the time for them to start building that universe, slowly and build up to the climax of a JLA film.
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
True. WB can do anything. But, you have to answer to somebody: Board of Directors, President(s), shareholders, etc. If it fails, you're position is on the line, so -- bye bye!

I agree, the time to start JLA is now. But it takes planning, small steps, & short/long-term-strategy.