The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old April 5th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #97
Green Effigy

Question

Blade wasn't in anyone's mind back in the 90s but it spawned 2 sequels. Blade wasn't even a great character until Wesley Snipes portrayed the character. DC could start small and build up from their main roster. Make 2 or 3 movies a year. (Am I crazy to say something like this? Yes)

TDK made $1 billion dollars thanks to Nolan and crew. Can some of that revenue go to another franchise?

Old April 5th, 2011   Green Effigy is offline   #98
Green Effigy

What I'm trying to say is that, in the past it's been a hit and miss with some characters because of lack of vision and/or desire. Steel with Shaquile O'neal anyone? The Flash tv show from the 90's that lasted 1 season?

Flash and Green Arrow are characters that are constantly pushed in Smallville and those are the guys that raise the ratings for the show alone (not all the time but some).

Old April 5th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #99
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

What I'm trying to say is that, in the past it's been a hit and miss with some characters because of lack of vision and/or desire. Steel with Shaquile O'neal anyone? The Flash tv show from the 90's that lasted 1 season?

Flash and Green Arrow are characters that are constantly pushed in Smallville and those are the guys that raise the ratings for the show alone (not all the time but some).
ddf
Green Effigy View Post
a) Steel isn't making your case. He was a relatively unknown character, torn from the mythos that spawned him and made into something totally different.

b) The Flash TV show was 1)up against Cosby, 2) often pre-empted by Desert Storm newsbreaks and 3) cost-prohibitive. Those are what killed it.

c) Flash and Green Arrow raise ratings (as does Aquaman, the Legion and the JSA) because...the episodes they're on SOMETHING HAPPENS.

If you want to sell the JLoA movie, you need at least 2 of the biggies in there.

How do you think the hype for the Avengers would go if the line up was Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, the Vision, the Wasp, the Beast and Wonder Man. All beloved Avengers, but hardly ticket sellers.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 5th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #100
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

That would never fly...mostly because there's an alarming lack of big names. If you think DC is going to let a Justice League movie fly (excuse the pun) without Bats, Supes or Wonder Woman to sell tickets...
ddf
Timekeeper View Post
But who doesn't want to see emo sparkly JLoA with a cast like that?

Old April 5th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #101
virtuadept
bye.

Okay....2013 is too soon for a JLoA movie. With the exception of Superman and Batman, there's been little to no establishment of any of the core members needed to make it a success.

Besides, given their looooong history of being shy about doing much for aanyone not Superman or Batman, don't you think they'd want to see how GL performs before moving forward?
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
X-Men didn't need to release a movie about Magneto, Prof X, Wolverine, and Cyclops before they had a team movie.

JLoA does not NEED to have solo movies before they release a JLoA movie.

For that matter neither does Avengers, but great if Marvel wants to do it that way.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old April 5th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #102
Amentep

It is an interesting move though - the appeal to a team like JLA or Avengers when they originally started was that they were putting the "big" properties together.

It also save you from having to overly explain to the audience who the people are and allows you to concentrate on other story things.

At this point though, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are probably internationally known to the point that they could anchor a JLA film without having lead in films; however doing so allows the JLA film to potentially be consistent with what viewers are seeing from the individual movies.

Old April 5th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #103
virtuadept
bye.

It is an interesting move though - the appeal to a team like JLA or Avengers when they originally started was that they were putting the "big" properties together.

It also save you from having to overly explain to the audience who the people are and allows you to concentrate on other story things.

At this point though, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are probably internationally known to the point that they could anchor a JLA film without having lead in films; however doing so allows the JLA film to potentially be consistent with what viewers are seeing from the individual movies.
ddf
Amentep View Post
Maybe so but from my personal point of view...

I do not want to watch another origin movie about a hero I am already familiar with in the comics.

I do not want to die before JLA movie finally sees theaters.

- VirtuAdept - VACATION MODE. Apparently few here really like my posts. It was a fun few years. Catch you on the flip side.
Old April 5th, 2011   Amentep is offline   #104
Amentep

I really, really hope that no one does a Batman or Superman origin film again...no, just no.

Old April 5th, 2011   thunderdude is offline   #105
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

The Flash TV show was up against the first season of the Simpsons too. I tend to think of that show like I know people think of Firefly. A great on season show that could have gone much longer. As for Smallville's rather stupid inability to get a spinoff, at the very least, they should be ashamed there is no Green Arrow or Aquaman solo show beyond the pilot.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old April 5th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #106
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

X-Men didn't need to release a movie about Magneto, Prof X, Wolverine, and Cyclops before they had a team movie.

JLoA does not NEED to have solo movies before they release a JLoA movie.

For that matter neither does Avengers, but great if Marvel wants to do it that way.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
One glaring differnce...the X-Men (and the FF) have a singular origin. Explain mutants once and you've covered everyone. You cannot do that with the Avengers or the JLoA

Old April 5th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #107
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Maybe so but from my personal point of view...

I do not want to watch another origin movie about a hero I am already familiar with in the comics.

I do not want to die before JLA movie finally sees theaters.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
But the origin movies aren't made for us. Simple math. Let's say all GL readers go see the movie. That's what? 80K? Now let's multiply that by 10 (and I'm being generous) to cover fans who've left the comics behind. 800,000. Times 12.00 a ticket and let's say each and every one of them sees the movie 3 tiimes each (hey, if I'm being generous.,...). What's that gross?

We're a blip on their core demographic.

Old April 5th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #108
jafabian
I’m not dead.

One glaring differnce...the X-Men (and the FF) have a singular origin. Explain mutants once and you've covered everyone. You cannot do that with the Avengers or the JLoA
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post

But look how many Avengers actually debuted within the series rather than their own books. Even ones that didn't, such as Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, Hawkeye and others only appeared a few times in the Marvel Universe before becoming a part of the team.

A lot of the JLA members have appeared a lot more in JLA than on their own as well. So I'm not sure that these movies are so dependent on their members being established in order for their stories to be successful as a film.

Old April 6th, 2011   leonmallett is offline   #109
leonmallett
comics fan

But look how many Avengers actually debuted within the series rather than their own books. Even ones that didn't, such as Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, Hawkeye and others only appeared a few times in the Marvel Universe before becoming a part of the team.

A lot of the JLA members have appeared a lot more in JLA than on their own as well. So I'm not sure that these movies are so dependent on their members being established in order for their stories to be successful as a film.
ddf
jafabian View Post
It is about suspension of disbelief; there is likely broader and greater in-built suspension of disbelief for a typical comic book fan than say the majority of the movie-going public who pitch up to see the superhero block buster.

We have been brought up on the accepted tropes of the comic book medium, but what works there - because of the accepted logical underpinning of all sorts of concpets including magic, super-technology, aliens etc - does not have the same underpinning in a 2 hour movie.

Basically the accepted broader suspension of disbelief makes allowances that don't requitre the same explanantions as a movie featuring the characters for the first time would probably require.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old April 6th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #110
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

ddf
jafabian View Post
But the thing is with Comics...you have time to go into the "who is this guy?" "what does he do?" "why is he an avenger/member of the JLoa?" questions and answer them. In detail. Sometimes too too much detail. You can do special Secret Origin arcs. One shots. Mini Series.

In a movie, you have 2 hours. At best. Having to do origins of individual heroes even in exposition takes away from the main story, which is the team.

Old April 6th, 2011   virtuadept is offline   #111
virtuadept
bye.

But the thing is with Comics...you have time to go into the "who is this guy?" "what does he do?" "why is he an avenger/member of the JLoa?" questions and answer them. In detail. Sometimes too too much detail. You can do special Secret Origin arcs. One shots. Mini Series.

In a movie, you have 2 hours. At best. Having to do origins of individual heroes even in exposition takes away from the main story, which is the team.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Look at the Justice League cartoon then.

That cartoon was made for a broad audience, and did not go into the origin of every member on the team before they showed the team together solving a crisis together.

You do not HAVE to have the origin of every team member before you show the group working together as a team.

And I think you are underestimating how many people out there know a few things about the origin of most of the major JLA members.

Batman, check, nearly everyone on the planet already knows Bruce Wayne's parents were killed, I am the night, I am vengeance, blah blah blah.

Superman, check, he's already had 5 feature films.

Wonder Woman, check, she's been in a bunch of cartoons, TV series, and has her own makeup line from what I hear.

Aquaman, check, he's the fish guy. Everyone knows this. No other explanation is needed for him to function in a JLA movie. He's also been on Smallville and a few cartoons.

Green Lantern - check, cartoons, major movie this summer.

Martian Manhunter - probably the most unknown major member of the JLA, but even he has been in cartoons and Smallville.

Old April 6th, 2011   TJLamb0518 is offline   #112
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Look at the Justice League cartoon then.

That cartoon was made for a broad audience, and did not go into the origin of every member on the team before they showed the team together solving a crisis together.

You do not HAVE to have the origin of every team member before you show the group working together as a team.

And I think you are underestimating how many people out there know a few things about the origin of most of the major JLA members.

Batman, check, nearly everyone on the planet already knows Bruce Wayne's parents were killed, I am the night, I am vengeance, blah blah blah.

Superman, check, he's already had 5 feature films.

Wonder Woman, check, she's been in a bunch of cartoons, TV series, and has her own makeup line from what I hear.

Aquaman, check, he's the fish guy. Everyone knows this. No other explanation is needed for him to function in a JLA movie. He's also been on Smallville and a few cartoons.

Green Lantern - check, cartoons, major movie this summer.

Martian Manhunter - probably the most unknown major member of the JLA, but even he has been in cartoons and Smallville.
ddf
virtuadept View Post
Again, they had a SEASON. They had the luxury of time. And what you assume "everyone knows" would be woefully put to the test with the majority of the movie going public. You've got two characters (hopefully soon 3....or 4 if the tv show tkes off) that would be considered "known" to a larger audience.

I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of the non comic reading public (you know...the majority). Yes, comic book fans would love to bypass origin movies and get everything just like the comic, but we're not a sizable demographic (as I pointed out above).