The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 23rd, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #33
Ohoni
persona non grata

As for similarities to previous Flash stories--in both of those cases, the imitation had malice in mind. Here, were it Inertia doubling as Bart again, maybe he doesn't have anything bad in mind, but rather he is just trying to live a 'normal' life in Bart's place.
ddf
I don't know, in most cases that WOULD be fairly malicious, since what would Bart be up to while Intertia is living his life for him? In Mercury Falling he'd trapped Bart in a VR world (which Bart really didn't mind while he was in it), and there was a turning point at which Thad ALMOSt decided to stay and live out Bart's life, since he was genuinely enjoying it, but at the last minute he decided to complete his evil plans anyways.

I wouldn't mind seeing him return as a reformed character, but the whole "Bart is really Thad" twist is just too played out to have any significant impact at this point, no matter how they play it. I mean, it'd just be an "ok, next page" sort of reveal.

wers are just the start of Inertia taking over Griffen's body.

THIS is how they get around Bart aging 5 years and having inertia still 16.
ddf
There's no real need for that. Inertia is actually several hundred years old (he aged slowly, rather than fast like Bart, hence "Interia"), and a time traveler to boot, so he could always re-enter the world at any age he wanted. The same is true of Carol for that matter.

Having Interia take over Griffin's body would be pointless and lame, although I could see Griffin as becoming a NEW villain with the name Intertia, he seems way more on track to becoming a new Doctor Alchemy (based on the costume at least, his powers are still in flux).

Old July 23rd, 2006   Velocity9 is offline   #34
Velocity9
Power Cosmic Horseman

I don't know, in most cases that WOULD be fairly malicious, since what would Bart be up to while Intertia is living his life for him? In Mercury Falling he'd trapped Bart in a VR world (which Bart really didn't mind while he was in it), and there was a turning point at which Thad ALMOSt decided to stay and live out Bart's life, since he was genuinely enjoying it, but at the last minute he decided to complete his evil plans anyways.

I wouldn't mind seeing him return as a reformed character, but the whole "Bart is really Thad" twist is just too played out to have any significant impact at this point, no matter how they play it. I mean, it'd just be an "ok, next page" sort of reveal.
ddf
Ohoni
Where would Bart have been this whole time? That would be an easy answer. Looking for Rival in the timestream so he could return Max to his body.

That would be a sweet reveal to me. That means that Bart would still be Impulse and Thadd played the Titans for a bunch of suckers AND took the mantle of The Flash. If he did it as some sort of pact with Bart (Bart relizing Jay wouldn't allow him to run off through time to look for Rival) and Thaddeus had the best of intentions in mind (Possible, he did seem on the verge of reforming at the end of Mercury Falling) then we could have a Thawne as The Flash and not just some evil scheme, not to mention The Titans hunting him down for answers once the news came out. Bart, not really forseeing the consequences of doing such a thing, would then come back and have all of his friends on the Titans ("Why're you guys hanging out in a building shaped like a T? Where's Superboy at?") pissed at him for duping them. There could be alot of great potential there.

Inertia may even go for the deal on the basis that it gives him the oppertunity to live a normal life...Well, normal to him.

There's no real need for that. Inertia is actually several hundred years old (he aged slowly, rather than fast like Bart, hence "Interia"), and a time traveler to boot, so he could always re-enter the world at any age he wanted. The same is true of Carol for that matter.

Having Interia take over Griffin's body would be pointless and lame, although I could see Griffin as becoming a NEW villain with the name Intertia, he seems way more on track to becoming a new Doctor Alchemy (based on the costume at least, his powers are still in flux).
ddf

That might make sense too. Wasn't Inertia in the speed storm the last time we saw him? What if he got stuck there and then the whole thing collapsed around him during Infinite Crisis? Where would his conscienceness go? Not the speed force, it would have to go somewhere else, and Inertia's consciencness woul probably seek out a way to hurt Bart for trapping him in an incoporeal state.

Will fight The Amish for money.
Old July 23rd, 2006   Nightwing826 is offline   #35
Nightwing826
The New Champion

Inertia? Check out the Flash HC that Iris penned a decade ago. It mentions Bart's opposite and I am guessing that is where these guys got the idea.

Bart left around 16 and is back at 21. THAT is the reason he feels so "off" as some people are saying.

I LOVED the 2nd issue and followed the entire run from 1987-2006. I think Bart's a cool choice to assume the mantle.

The "don't get too attached to the first one you see?" That refers to first Flash, Jay, seen in the opening of the first issue. By the end we got Bart. It's been said he's the Flash for the foreseeable future.

I MUCH preferred Geoff's vision of Bart than the YJ version. And I really like where we're going, Bart just has to get the speedforce under control, which is where they're going.
ddf
impulse1999
I agree with this as well.

I can't wait to see how this all will go.

The biggest Freddy Freeman fan.
Old July 24th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #36
Ohoni
persona non grata

Where would Bart have been this whole time? That would be an easy answer. Looking for Rival in the timestream so he could return Max to his body.
ddf
Sure. And it could be any number of places, once we involve time travel and the speedforce. He could be gone for any length of time, and come out of it at any age.

Old July 24th, 2006   Brian LaBelle is offline   #37
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

I think Rival wants that Jay Garrick clone body from Outsiders.

Old July 24th, 2006   Kelson is offline   #38
Kelson
Neo Geoffan

the whole "Bart is really Thad" twist is just too played out to have any significant impact at this point, no matter how they play it. I mean, it'd just be an "ok, next page" sort of reveal.
ddf
Ohoni
It's also unnecessary. I mean, Bart's depressed right now. Actually, at the 50 years of the Flash panel yesterday, Danny Bilson said that the reason Bart's acting different now is because he's dealing with this problem (he was careful not to state what problem, I noticed, so there may actually be more than what we've seen), but that as he starts to deal with it, his impulsive nature will start to take over. He said specifically to look at the end of #4 for that.

Sooner or later, you realize that Lucy is never going to let you kick the damn football.

Speed Force - Flash news and commentary
Old July 24th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #39
Ohoni
persona non grata

Danny Bilson said that the reason Bart's acting different now is because he's dealing with this problem (he was careful not to state what problem, I noticed, so there may actually be more than what we've seen), but that as he starts to deal with it, his impulsive nature will start to take over. He said specifically to look at the end of #4 for that.
ddf
That still doesn't cover why he'd be a mopey little ##### for a year without trying as hard as he can to get his "problems" solved. The Bart we know is the sort of guy that would never go a year at normal speeds if there was ANY way he could fix it.

Old July 24th, 2006   bandit2005 is offline   #40
bandit2005
Neo Geoffan

That still doesn't cover why he'd be a mopey little ##### for a year without trying as hard as he can to get his "problems" solved. The Bart we know is the sort of guy that would never go a year at normal speeds if there was ANY way he could fix it.
ddf
No, that's how you want Bart to be. Until you know what he was dealing with for the missing 4 years, you have no idea how Bart should be acting now.

Old July 24th, 2006   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #41
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

No, that's how you want Bart to be. Until you know what he was dealing with for the missing 4 years, you have no idea how Bart should be acting now.
ddf
bandit2005

the ONLY reason, and i say ONLY reason Bart can be moppy, IMO, is because he can't use his speed without "killing himself"

Though, i still think this is way too much of a Wally clone.

before the original crisis, wally was going to be killed by his speed.

But somehow, he's saved by it,a dn it fixes itself.

he gets barry's costume

and he gets a girlfriend.

It seems too much like they're copying wally.

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old July 24th, 2006   hoyatables is offline   #42
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

the ONLY reason, and i say ONLY reason Bart can be moppy, IMO, is because he can't use his speed without "killing himself"

Though, i still think this is way too much of a Wally clone.

before the original crisis, wally was going to be killed by his speed.

But somehow, he's saved by it,a dn it fixes itself.

he gets barry's costume

and he gets a girlfriend.

It seems too much like they're copying wally.
ddf
Peter Aitken
Yes, but the approach is different. In Wally's case, he was debating stepping into the shoes of his mentor and father figure. It was more intimate and personal, which is what made the Return of Barry Allen story so great. With Bart, it is more about continuing a legacy of multiple past speedsters. Further, Bart has always had issues with how his relationship to speed affects his body. Finally, Bart is doing this in a relative--while Wally had the rest of the League as his family (including his peers in JL:Europe and Barry's generation in the old League), Bart is much younger than those groups, and his friends appear to have their own problems going on. And one of his best friends is dead. So there is a lot more going on for Bart.

On the surface, the plot points and concepts are similar. Underneath, however, there are many variations that allow for richly different stories that are unique to Bart.

Old July 24th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #43
Ohoni
persona non grata

Further, Bart has always had issues with how his relationship to speed affects his body.
ddf
Since when? Bart has been as tied to using the Speedforce as we are to breathing since he was introduced, with no "issues" with it since Wally first properly introduced the two of them in Impulse's first appearance.

Bart is much younger than those groups, and his friends appear to have their own problems going on. And one of his best friends is dead. So there is a lot more going on for Bart.
ddf
Bart has a ton of friends he could lean on, both inside and outside the hero community, and crossing all age groups. He was the Dick Grayson of his generation when it came to accumulating contacts.

Old July 24th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #44
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Since when? Bart has been as tied to using the Speedforce as we are to breathing since he was introduced, with no "issues" with it since Wally first properly introduced the two of them in Impulse's first appearance.
ddf
Ohoni
Since Barts' origin, where it was shown that in the 30th Century, Bart was growing at an accelerated rate due to his connection with the speed force, causing his parents to put him into a VR enviroment (why do I want to say it was created by the Dominators?) and that Iris basically broke him out and brought him back to present day so Wally could help Bart stabilize his connection with the Speed Force and hence his growth? I think since then.

Bart has a ton of friends he could lean on, both inside and outside the hero community, and crossing all age groups. He was the Dick Grayson of his generation when it came to accumulating contacts.
ddf

Who all treated him like a teenager. He was at best a peer to a bunch of teenage heroes who would be hard pressed to relate to someone who was their age and is now considerably older, especially when that person apparently spent years out of contact sheepherding a sociopath under a red sun. You're right....he's REAL relatable....

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 24th, 2006   Sp33df0rc3 is offline   #45
Sp33df0rc3
Dark Lord of Lumberjacks

Yes, but the approach is different. In Wally's case, he was debating stepping into the shoes of his mentor and father figure. It was more intimate and personal, which is what made the Return of Barry Allen story so great. With Bart, it is more about continuing a legacy of multiple past speedsters. Further, Bart has always had issues with how his relationship to speed affects his body. Finally, Bart is doing this in a relative--while Wally had the rest of the League as his family (including his peers in JL:Europe and Barry's generation in the old League), Bart is much younger than those groups, and his friends appear to have their own problems going on. And one of his best friends is dead. So there is a lot more going on for Bart.

On the surface, the plot points and concepts are similar. Underneath, however, there are many variations that allow for richly different stories that are unique to Bart.
ddf
hoyatables
Bart has many friends, if not in Jay and Joan, then in the Titans. He may be older, but they're still his friends.

And, saying that the people that helped Wally are much older than him?

I'm going to guess (based on various timelines) that wally was 23 when his series ended, because he was 18 when he became the flash, and i believe 5 years ahve passed since the Crisis.

Meaning?

Bart's really not that much younger than wally now.

He's become a wally/barry hybrid; he's as smart as barry, but as inexpirienced as wally was (even though they both had tons of expirience, stepping up was a big change).

Both bart/wally were being killed by their speed. once that's fixed, Bart feels to me to just be stepping into Wally's shoes...literally.

Most people thought that the girlfriend on teh cover of #4 was Linda, because she looks JUST like her...and she's a star lab tech, like McGee.

I think they're modeling this after wally WAY too much.

Bart was unique, and it feels like, just for the sake of sales and replacing the flash, they're changing him drastically to fit the mold.

And saying he'll be more "impulsive" after his problem is fixed? What problem? It better be a BIG problem, oen that's been there sicne he was first Kid Flash to force the character through all this change, and then reach back and say "nah, he's still Impulse at heart".

To me, Impulse is MIA

Now, John Fox on the otehr hand...

Check out Pulpline Magazine for original prose content! Submissions welcome!
Old July 24th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #46
Ohoni
persona non grata

Since Barts' origin, where it was shown that in the 30th Century, Bart was growing at an accelerated rate due to his connection with the speed force, causing his parents to put him into a VR enviroment (why do I want to say it was created by the Dominators?) and that Iris basically broke him out and brought him back to present day so Wally could help Bart stabilize his connection with the Speed Force and hence his growth? I think since then.
ddf
First of all, that was a one time thing, and it was fixed in his first appearance. As I said, he hasn't had a problem since, so it's not like it's some chronic condition. Second, his parents had nothing to do with putting him there, since he dad was dead at the time, and his mom believed him to be dead. What actually happened was that the Dominators had kidnapped and experimented on him, and then Earthgov "rescued" him, but told Meloni he'd died, and secretly put him in the VR tank. Iris found this out (being an ex-reporter), and broke him out. Soon after, Meloni found out and went back to the past to reclaim Bart, but decided he was better off there.

Who all treated him like a teenager. He was at best a peer to a bunch of teenage heroes who would be hard pressed to relate to someone who was their age and is now considerably older, especially when that person apparently spent years out of contact sheepherding a sociopath under a red sun. You're right....he's REAL relatable....
ddf
These people are champs. They'd deal, no question. They've delt with much stranger relationships in the past. Hell, Raven's not only been evil but also dead several times already (and she's now apparently several years younger than her first appearance). Besides, Bart's age hasn't fluctuated nearly as much as Beast Boy's.

He might not be teribly relatable to one of us, but his issues are nothing compared to his peers'.

Old July 24th, 2006   hoyatables is offline   #47
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

Snaps to TJ for the reply I didn't have time to write today.

As for Wally's age, he always struck me as a late 20-something, similar to Dick, Roy, and the rest. Heck, those guys are really pushing 30 at that point--and the issues and challenges they face in their personal lives are similar to those you'd expect a 30-year old to face. I don't put much stock in an artificial timeline, because you have to suspend the disbelief that, as far as the comics are concerned, we've seen all of the first-wave teenagers age about twenty years since they came on board.

But then again, I have no problem suspending a little logic to enjoy stories about men that run faster than sound. As is abundantly clear around here, other people require a detailed accounting the likes of which is usually reserved for David McCullough biographies and the Internal Revenue Service.

Old July 24th, 2006   Ohoni is offline   #48
Ohoni
persona non grata

As for Wally's age, he always struck me as a late 20-something, similar to Dick, Roy, and the rest. Heck, those guys are really pushing 30 at that point-
ddf
You'd think they'd be that old, but they aren't. I forget where the semi-official age chart is, but that generation is supposed to be in their mid-20's, probably closer to 25 than to 30. Either way, they'd be around to help Bart out if he needed it, particularly those he's served with in the past.