The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old August 28th, 2007   marc andreyko is offline   #1
marc andreyko

Default MANHUNTER Vol.3 : ORIGINS out tomorrow!

YAY! buy lots and lots of 'em! please?

marc

Old August 29th, 2007   add1 is offline   #2
add1
Supporters

done and done.

for the record, this is the only series i have the singles as well as the trade.

more please...

aint nobody gonna hold me... i'm gonna be all that i can be... i take my problems to the dance floor... let the music make my spirit soar...
Old August 29th, 2007   Atom is offline   #3
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

I'm strapped for cash this week, but I did see it out at the shop. I'll see what I can do to pick up a copy next week. Gotta complete the set.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old August 29th, 2007   BrianT is offline   #4
BrianT
@PAComicExaminer

for the record, this is the only series i have the singles as well as the trade.

more please...
ddf
add1 View Post
Same here.

Philadelphia Comic Book Examiner
Twitter: PAComicExaminer

Subscribe to my page
Old August 29th, 2007   Ralph Malph is offline   #5
Ralph Malph
Supporters

more please...
ddf
add1 View Post
Same here.
ddf
Brian Thomer View Post
Ditto here.
I really want this book to succeed.

-Paul

- A priest, rabbi, and duck walk into a bar and the bartendar says, "What is this, some kind of joke"
Old August 30th, 2007   Saturn Girl is offline   #6
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

Bought mine today! I'm only 2/3 the way through, but loving it so far. SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
I like the idea of origin stories for Kate's gear, and it was nice to see Phobia again. Finding out about Kate's metahuman lineage was really cool, too! And loved the Todd & Damon scenes, although I'm a little confused about how Todd & Kate knew each other's secret IDs...was that handled in a mini series? I don't read much DC and loathe mega events like Infinite Crisis, 52 and Countdown so I must have missed out on something outside of the series.

I am the one who knocks.
Old August 31st, 2007   Lady Obie is offline   #7
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

Bought mine today! I'm only 2/3 the way through, but loving it so far. SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
I like the idea of origin stories for Kate's gear, and it was nice to see Phobia again. Finding out about Kate's metahuman lineage was really cool, too! And loved the Todd & Damon scenes, although I'm a little confused about how Todd & Kate knew each other's secret IDs...was that handled in a mini series? I don't read much DC and loathe mega events like Infinite Crisis, 52 and Countdown so I must have missed out on something outside of the series.

ddf
Saturn Girl View Post
SPOILER. Highlight below text to read

Unless it being pre-crisis made it moot, Todd revealed his secret ID along with the rest of the then-current members of Infinity Inc. in a press conference in issue 12 of the original 80's Inf Inc. series.

Considering how Todd isn't exactly Supes or Bats though I could see why some people could forget his secret ID even if they saw or heard about that press conference. But even given that if Kate saw that info I don't think she would've forgot about it even if it would be years before she actually met and befriended Todd.

As for how Todd learned Kate's secret ID, that hasn't been revealed yet but hopefully will be soon once the series returns.

Last edited by Lady Obie; August 31st, 2007 at 09:03 AM.

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old August 31st, 2007   Lady Obie is offline   #8
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

And frankly we haven't even seen the story of how lovebirds Todd and Damon met yet

One minute Todd's seguing his way out of the prior JSA series, next minute he's smooching Kate's co-worker

I want to see how Todd and Damon met, if it was love at 1st sight or if they were platonic friends 1st and had that grow into something romantic.

And I just have to see their 1st date

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old September 3rd, 2007   married guy is offline   #9
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

Yeah. All there was was Damon mentioning to Kate he had a hot date.
We learned later that it was with Todd.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old September 4th, 2007   just_will is offline   #10
just_will
Neo Geoffan

Hi guys

I got into this series well after it started. Marc was kind enough to pass along the first two trades, signed! I loved 90% of what I read. I bought the third trade...

Well, I think my love has turned to about 70% of the stuff I've read now...

Kate as a character is great. I loved the origin of her suit. I would REALLY like to see a Batman or Nightwing appreance now that I know the gloves belonged to Az-Bats. I think it would be especially great to see Nightwing, as he's been cut by those claws before.

I loved seeing Kate's real dad, and their interaction. Kate's ability to shed blood so easily makes sense now, and that's a thread I would love to see explored more.
Mark Shaw interests me too, it's a nice sublot. And if there's another Azrael link with the Dumas group, even better.

I loved seeing Kilg%re too! That was an awesome random appearance. I love Bill Menser-Loebs run on Flash and that was a great geek out moment. (btw, doesn't Bill really need work?)

What I didn't like:
The other hodgepodge cast. Kate remarks at some point that she feels like she's in an episode of Will and Grace, and that's how I felt too. And, uh, I didn't like that show. For the record, I don't have a problem with Todd and Damon's relationship, there's just something abuot the way these 5 charcters interact that isn't appealing.

The teleporter makes her too powerful.

I also didn't like the random JSA link. I liked Kate as a stand alone hero that just happened to be named Manhunter. Now she's a legacy character tied to two golden age characters I know nothing about. And she might be a meta... For some reason this downplays my interest.

Finally, much of the OYL changes felt jarring and didn't make sense. It was almost like "let's turn everything around 180 for no reason!" Former prosecutor Kate is now a defense attorney. Why? To get inside info from the bad guys in custody? Could Bones and a telepath get better results (except maybe with dr. psycho). Let me tell you from first hand experience, most criminal defendants on trial don't trust their lawyers no matter what.

All of these items combined make the book and character feel like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

I'll be back when Kate's series restarts. But please, try to keep the story away from the event of the year, and maybe stop trying so hard to make her relevant. Let her relevancy happen organically.

Join the Nightwing fan club!
http://www.nightwingfanclub.com/
Old September 4th, 2007   Redcape is offline   #11
Redcape
Neo Geoffan

more manhunter is always good in my opinion.

Read Jonah Hex & Booster Gold
Old September 5th, 2007   Lady Obie is offline   #12
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

What I didn't like:
The other hodgepodge cast. Kate remarks at some point that she feels like she's in an episode of Will and Grace, and that's how I felt too. And, uh, I didn't like that show. For the record, I don't have a problem with Todd and Damon's relationship, there's just something abuot the way these 5 charcters interact that isn't appealing.
ddf
just_will View Post
I actually like the supporting cast and probably wouldn't be reading the comic even to this day if Todd (my fave comic character) and his favorable usage in this series didn't happen

For me a happy confident Todd (after years of whiny wimpy villiany) is worth its weight in gold

The teleporter makes her too powerful.

I also didn't like the random JSA link. I liked Kate as a stand alone hero that just happened to be named Manhunter. Now she's a legacy character tied to two golden age characters I know nothing about. And she might be a meta... For some reason this downplays my interest.
ddf
As long as the teleporter isn't overused I don't think it'll be a problem. And it might make a good story to have the teleporter be broken just when Kate really needs it and have her have to find another way to escape a really hairy situation.

I like her having a link to Phantom Lady as well and seeing old Sandra meeting her granddaughter is way cute!

As for Kate being a meta, she doesn't necessarily have to be a really powerful one or even have any manifesting powers. It's more interesting to see her get out of scrapes using her intellect, fighting skills &/or weapons.

But I suspect her son is a meta (given the way he singlehandedly gave a potent whupping to a school bully) and if the power thing skips a generation he could be as powerful as his grandpa (though hopefully not as insane) by the time he grows up

I'll be back when Kate's series restarts. But please, try to keep the story away from the event of the year, and maybe stop trying so hard to make her relevant. Let her relevancy happen organically.
ddf
I agree about big events. I don't think being shoehorned into them favors characters and their individual worlds so I wouldn't mind if she was given a break from big event involvement myself.

-- All-Star Squadron #25