The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old September 2nd, 2007   marburger is offline   #1
marburger
Advanced Geoffan

Default Can Posion Ivy be a redeamable character ?

What I mean is that before the events of Infinity Crisis, we saw Ivy take care of a bunch of orphans during the time of No Man's land.

Now here we are OYL and heading to the events of Final Crisis, where Ivy is back to her former self.

So does this loses the chance for her to be a redemable character and try to at least aid for the forces of good, because I can see her more as a Superheroine than a Supervillain.

What do you think of this idea ?

Join theBring Back Beast Boy Brigade - Because Gar Logan deserves better than comic limbo!
Old September 3rd, 2007   Infernorhythm is offline   #2
Infernorhythm
Aspiring Writer

Personally I loved James Robinson's human take on her during Face the Face, it worked pretty well with the No Man's Land Ivy and seemed like a good progression for her. Dini's sadistic killer just seemed weird even when you don't factor in the Face the Face version, so I don't know what DC is thinking.

And now, here comes the anti-Face the Face response from a certain leo...

Superman Returns was a great film. DO NOT REBOOT!
Old September 3rd, 2007   Hef_Lee is offline   #3
Hef_Lee
Neo Geoffan

I always had a bit of a soft spot for her since the "House and Garden" episode from the animated series. And honesty figured it could go either way between hero or villain. But as a villain, she's one of the more developed ones.

Every comic I ever love is doomed to cancellation...
Old September 3rd, 2007   Jake1823 is offline   #4
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Yeah, keep her as a villain.

Where is everybody?
Old September 3rd, 2007   Matches is offline   #5
Matches
stepping aside

I don't quite understand the need to repeatedly turn villains into heroes. Ivy is a sadistic mass murderer. The fact that she thinks she's serving a noble cause doesn't make her actions okay.

More to the point, the semi-rehabilitation of Catwoman has basically left Ivy as Batman's best femme fatale enemy. There's not really a good candidate to take her place if she is also redeemed.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 3rd, 2007   marburger is offline   #6
marburger
Advanced Geoffan

I don't quite understand the need to repeatedly turn villains into heroes. Ivy is a sadistic mass murderer. The fact that she thinks she's serving a noble cause doesn't make her actions okay.

More to the point, the semi-rehabilitation of Catwoman has basically left Ivy as Batman's best femme fatale enemy. There's not really a good candidate to take her place if she is also redeemed.
ddf
Matches View Post
What about Talia Ra Ghul ?

Besides Batman did say that their love is no more.

Join theBring Back Beast Boy Brigade - Because Gar Logan deserves better than comic limbo!
Old September 3rd, 2007   Matches is offline   #7
Matches
stepping aside

What about Talia Ra Ghul ?

Besides Batman did say that their love is no more.
ddf
marburger View Post
Talia has rarely been played as a straight-up villain. Even when she IS played as a baddie, redemption is right around the corner for her. Historically she's been as much an ally to Batman as an adversary.

Ivy's flat-out BAD.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old September 3rd, 2007   curiouswanderer is offline   #8
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

I would prefer to see Ivy portrayed as more villain than hero, with an occasional odd streak of decency peaking through.

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old September 3rd, 2007   tony soprano is offline   #9
tony soprano
Geoffan

Yeah, keep her as a villain.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
i agree

Old September 3rd, 2007   jasonleo is offline   #10
jasonleo
Genius Honky Horseman

Personally I loved James Robinson's human take on her during Face the Face, it worked pretty well with the No Man's Land Ivy and seemed like a good progression for her. Dini's sadistic killer just seemed weird even when you don't factor in the Face the Face version, so I don't know what DC is thinking.

And now, here comes the anti-Face the Face response from a certain leo...
ddf
Infernorhythm View Post
I just realized that while I actually type Face THE Face, in my head I was always saying, Face TO Face. Weird.

caught a ride with a trickster and a javelin man
to a town down by the sea
Old September 3rd, 2007   HushedRuin is offline   #11
HushedRuin
of Positive Island.

I would prefer to see Ivy portrayed as more villain than hero, with an occasional odd streak of decency peaking through.
ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
Same here.

Play her as a villain, but there can be times when she'll do something good.

half of The Infosiders with Arcademan...

oWt 4 LIFE.
Old September 3rd, 2007   The Indestructible Man is offline   #12
The Indestructible Man
Neo Geoffan

Keep her a villain, but have her do the occassional seemingly good act to provide the illusion of redempability -- it's how you do a good femme fatale...

"That's what desire is. The need for what we can't have.
The need for what's readily available is called greed."

-- Lucifer #75
Old September 3rd, 2007   Thebug is offline   #13
Thebug
persona non grata

What I mean is that before the events of Infinity Crisis, we saw Ivy take care of a bunch of orphans during the time of No Man's land.

Now here we are OYL and heading to the events of Final Crisis, where Ivy is back to her former self.

So does this loses the chance for her to be a redemable character and try to at least aid for the forces of good, because I can see her more as a Superheroine than a Supervillain.

What do you think of this idea ?
ddf
marburger View Post
personaly i hope they do not make her a good girl. she is not a very deep charecter, from what i have read she is mostly 1 demension and i have never thought of her as a very important charecter. heres some charecters that i beleive are reedemable black adam, trickster, and pieper even though the last two are not bad guys anymore.

Old September 3rd, 2007   rpi is offline   #14
rpi
Geoffan

I'd much rather have her a villain. As Matches pointed out, she's pretty much Batman's only formidable female foe at this point and she's damned good at it. I thought Robinson's portrayal of her was pretty vanilla. Dini's sadistic turn was much more in line with what the character should be. She's not a cute little imp that has hypnotic kisses and likes green things. She's a not-quite-human-anymore serial rapist that uses what's left of her humanity to control as many as she can and uses her botanical side to eradicate the rest of them. She hears millions of voices that no one else can, save Jason Woodrue and Alec Holland, and they're always talking to her. The trees and weeds obey her and she thinks she's their mother. All these ingredients make her far too cool a villain for me to want to see her rehabilitated.

Every artist is a cannibal
Every poet is a thief
All kill their inspiration
And sing about the grief
Old September 4th, 2007   Augustine is offline   #15
Augustine
We win. My friend.

Like the others I say she makes a better villian, make her a hero and she's bound to lose her edge, look at Catwoman who has had more downs than up's. Ivy being the evil temptress who with a pretty face and nice body can seduce almost anyone, and when she does they are good as dead, she'll use them and feed them to the plants.

Fortune favors the foolish.
Old September 4th, 2007   Marky is offline   #16
Marky*
Flippa Dippa Horseman!

I always had a bit of a soft spot for her since the "House and Garden" episode from the animated series. And honesty figured it could go either way between hero or villain. But as a villain, she's one of the more developed ones.
ddf
Hef_Lee View Post
Agreed on both points.

ddf
curiouswanderer View Post
That's the best balance IMO. She feels what she's doing is 'right' and at times, when there's no killing or poisoning involved (!), she can do right.

Heroes Reborn 2: V Neck Boogaloo!