The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old September 21st, 2013   thunderdude is offline   #161
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

You know Fallon knows nothing about Superheroes. at least Affleck knows who Frank Miller is.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old September 26th, 2013   Elias is offline   #162
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

A Casting Call Clue That Wonder Woman May Be Appearing In The Batman Vs. Superman Movie

Old September 27th, 2013   Elias is offline   #163
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

‘Batman vs. Superman’ Movie Is Further Along Than Fans Think

Old October 22nd, 2013   jafabian is offline   #164
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From Superherohype: Will Wonder Woman Appear in Batman vs. Superman?

This from WB President Greg Silverman:

We have been doing a lot of thinking for years about how to best use all those characters and we love them. Wonder Woman is an amazing character. I think it's a great opportunity both for box office success, but also to have an amazingly powerful female superhero.

We are taking it all very seriously and are trying to do a plan that's respectful to those characters and maximizes the stories as best they can. So everything that has been speculated are things that we've thought about.

ddf

I'm betting orignally she wasn't going to be but fan response have been so favorable for even just a cameo they're redoing the movie before they're committed to anything. Heck, I'd be happy with just a shot of Themyscria! I think a movie with DC's Trinity would put them on par with Marvel's Avengers movie. Just doing Batman and Superman in the same movie wouldn't. And of course it'd be a solid segway into a JLA movie.

Old October 30th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #165
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From Dark Horizons: Early Details Of Batfleck Costume, Batmobile

Almost sounds like the new Batmobile might look like the 1970's sport car version. Or possibly a take from the TV show one?

Old November 3rd, 2013   Elias is offline   #166
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Jaimie Alexander Has Been Talking To WB About Batman Vs. Superman, Promises Thor 3

Old November 7th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #167
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From CBR:Will Nightwing Join in on ‘Batman Vs. Superman’?

Well, why not?

Old November 8th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #168
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From Superherohype: Three Actresses Test for Female Role in Batman vs. Superman

This weekend, Jaimie Alexander, who plays Sif in Marvel Studios' Thor films, spoke about having discussions with Warner Bros. about a new comic-related project. This lead many to believe that she might be playing Wonder Woman in the upcoming Batman vs. Superman film. Given Greg Silverman's comments on the character, it's not unreasonable to think that the character might appear in the Zack Snyder movie.

Now, Variety is reporting on three actresses that have gone in to test for a female role in the Man of Steel sequel, which they say might be either Wonder Woman or Bruce Wayne's love interest. Among the names they list are Fast and Furious's Gal Gadot, G.I. Joe: Retaliation's Elodie Yung, and Quantum of Solace's Olga Kurylenko (reported earlier today by Schmoes Know). In addition, they note that a fourth actress may have gone in to read for the role, which is being described a "tall, brunette, athletic and exotic." The site also notes that, due to her obligations with Marvel, it is unlikely that Jaimie Alexander will be cast in the role, be it for Diana or for another character.

In one last curious bit of information, Variety reports that their insiders say the plan is for multiple Justice League members, in addition to Batman and Superman, to appear in the film, including Wonder Woman and The Flash, but it is unknown if these roles will be cameos or of significance. What do you think of these new developments? Do you want to see Wonder Woman in the film? Sound off below!
ddf

Some interesting info. I get the impression that the BvS script keeps changing as DC learns fans really want to see a JLA movie. Too bad Cobie Smulders is committed to Marvel. I'd think she'd get the inside track to play Diana is that wasn't the case. I think Adrianne Palicki should get an audtion if she hasn't already.

Old November 11th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #169
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From Newsarama: Snyder Confirms 'Physical Conflict' Between Batman & Superman in MAN OF STEEL Sequel

I think we've been expecting that. And I bet it'll be an evenly matched one with Batman barely winning when he has no right to do so.

Old November 12th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #170
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

From Newsarama: Snyder Confirms 'Physical Conflict' Between Batman & Superman in MAN OF STEEL Sequel

I think we've been expecting that. And I bet it'll be an evenly matched one with Batman barely winning when he has no right to do so.
ddf
jafabian View Post
Yeah, even in DKR, the "iconic" battle between the two, it was clear that Superman was holding back and could have crushed Batman at any point. Batman had a few tricks up his sleeve, gave Superman a bit of a roughing up, but only because Superman was too much of a good guy and friend to just knock his block off. The whole time he was trying to convince Bruce to stop. (Having re-read DKR for the millionth time recently, it astonishes me how the story has a reputation for making Superman look like nothing but a government stooge, when really it was painfully obvious he was doing what he had to do in order to be able to continue to remain legally active as a hero, and was not thrilled at all about it. And then he takes a fair amount of abuse trying to corral Bruce because he doesn't want to hurt him. And then he smiles and winks when he hears Bruce's heartbeat at the funeral and doesn't rat him out to the feds that he is supposedly a stooge of. History aspires to myth.)

I don't see how you could replicate or even draw inspiration from that battle in DKR minus the shared history of friendship, rivalry, and differences of core world-view that the two had in that story. Minus all that, Batman would have never made it past the first trick in his bag in that battle, if he even got that far.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old November 12th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #171
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Yeah, even in DKR, the "iconic" battle between the two, it was clear that Superman was holding back and could have crushed Batman at any point. Batman had a few tricks up his sleeve, gave Superman a bit of a roughing up, but only because Superman was too much of a good guy and friend to just knock his block off. The whole time he was trying to convince Bruce to stop. (Having re-read DKR for the millionth time recently, it astonishes me how the story has a reputation for making Superman look like nothing but a government stooge, when really it was painfully obvious he was doing what he had to do in order to be able to continue to remain legally active as a hero, and was not thrilled at all about it. And then he takes a fair amount of abuse trying to corral Bruce because he doesn't want to hurt him. And then he smiles and winks when he hears Bruce's heartbeat at the funeral and doesn't rat him out to the feds that he is supposedly a stooge of. History aspires to myth.)

I don't see how you could replicate or even draw inspiration from that battle in DKR minus the shared history of friendship, rivalry, and differences of core world-view that the two had in that story. Minus all that, Batman would have never made it past the first trick in his bag in that battle, if he even got that far.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Something along the lines of Batman outwitting or manipulating Superman like in Byrne's MoS or the "Worlds Finest" Timmiverse story would make for a much more interesting conflict, IMO. In a purely, or even partially physical confrontation, Batman's advantage, even with a masterful plan, evaporates in less than a second if he doesn't outright incapacitate Superman before Superman even knows what is happening.

Old November 12th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #172
Amentep

IMO - and its been awhile since I read DKR since I hated it - Superman is a government stooge because Batman is presented as being right in the end.

Superman may be a good guy, and thoughtful, and trying to make the best of a bad situation but he clearly capitulates to a corrupt government rather than be Batman about things.

Old November 12th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #173
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

IMO - and its been awhile since I read DKR since I hated it - Superman is a government stooge because Batman is presented as being right in the end.

Superman may be a good guy, and thoughtful, and trying to make the best of a bad situation but he clearly capitulates to a corrupt government rather than be Batman about things.
ddf
Amentep View Post
It's interesting, because Superman seems, to me, to turn out to be the wiser of the two by the story's end. Bruce fakes his death so he can do exactly what Superman says early in the story: Be less "noisy" about it. Superman works with the system so that he can continue to do the maximum amount of good in a world that has rejected vigilantism. That rings true to me given the law-abiding Superman we had from the start of WWII up until very recently. A government stooge-Superman would not have let Bruce get away with faking his death, knowing that Bruce will find a way to make trouble for the establishment as long as he's still breathing.

The popularly perceived geopolitical metaphor in DKR is that Superman is on the "stability" side of things, whereas Batman is the revolutionary who seeks to shake up the world's status quo. But the problem with that metaphor is that Batman is not fighting the federal government (except for the rogue General who was selling weapons to the Mutants). Batman is fighting the Joker, the Mutants, and the Gotham City government. The feds don't even get involved until Superman is sent in to shut Batman down. It's not a "right-wing dupe" Superman, because if that were the case, he would be for risking or upsetting geopolitical stability in order to defeat the Soviets once and for all, as opposed to assisting in carrying out the proxy-wars that were still occurring in DKR's future, and that defined the "stability" of the Cold War in reality.

And I'd like to think that in an escalating conflict between an imperfect U.S. and the Soviet Union, Superman wouldn't have to think too long or hard about which side he came down on.

The corruption in DKR is largely Gotham-centric. The U.S. federal government is not so different in DKR than it was in the real-word Cold War. Other than the anti-vigilantism laws, its worse sins are engaging in the same kinds of proxy-wars we were actually engaged in, just "Hotter" than it ever got in reality (though it got pretty warm during the Cuban Missile Crisis).

Not saying you're wrong, just giving my take on the story. I think DKR's Superman is not recognized for being as three-dimensional as he really was in that story.

Old November 12th, 2013   Amentep is offline   #174
Amentep

But to me, Superman letting Batman go isn't because Superman isn't a tool its precisely because he *was/is* a tool but realizes ultimately Batman was right all along. So he rebels in the only way he can by letting Batman get away.

A Superman who wasn't a tool wouldn't have agreed to take Batman out and let the corrupt Gotham, the Mutants and the General continue on their path.

The Feds are corrupt because they're willing to stop Batman on behalf of the corrupt government.

Again - to me - Batman is presented as being fundamentally right in DKR and everything else is supposed to follow from that.

Old November 12th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #175
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

But to me, Superman letting Batman go isn't because Superman isn't a tool its precisely because he *was/is* a tool but realizes ultimately Batman was right all along. So he rebels in the only way he can by letting Batman get away.

A Superman who wasn't a tool wouldn't have agreed to take Batman out and let the corrupt Gotham, the Mutants and the General continue on their path.

The Feds are corrupt because they're willing to stop Batman on behalf of the corrupt government.

Again - to me - Batman is presented as being fundamentally right in DKR and everything else is supposed to follow from that.
ddf
Amentep View Post
The fact that he realizes he has to go underground at the end seems to imply that he understands he was going about things in the wrong way, to me. Like Superman, he realizes he can't operate in open defiance of "the system", so he finds a quieter way to do it.

Hate to keep qualifying what I'm saying with "just my opinion", etc., but I want to make sure you don't think I'm arguing with you. To the contrary, I'm enjoying the exchange.

Old December 4th, 2013   jafabian is offline   #176
jafabian
I’m not dead.

From Dark Horizons: Affleck, Cavill Talk "Batman vs. Superman"

Good interivew. Sounds like both have input on the creative process to a degree.