The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 17th, 2006   stieller is offline   #1
stieller

Default 52 Week Two *spoilers*

Didnt see a thread here...

This issue had the start of the history of the DC Universe- Donna starts to review it via Harbringers Orb. Really it was just a tease as at the end she began to find out Supermans origin... then it ended.

Anyway..
It seems that the Kryptonian Symbol for "Hope" (Supermans "S
" shield-- which indicates a birthright origin..) if inverted means Resurrection... and someone has spray painted this on Sue Dibneys Gravestone. Thats what we begin with.. Ralph discovering this "message" and it ends at the revelation of the inverted message

We then learn that Skeets may have a malfunction OR somebody is messing with the fabric of time. Booster took him to Doc Magnus who couldnt find a prob.
We then follow Doc as he visits Doc Morrow who informs him that all mad scientists are being abducted.. (doc sivana last issue)
The Question visits Renee and ends up hiring her.
Boster attempts to save a plane but the info skeets gives him is slightly wrong.. he faces the north expecting the plane but it comes from the south... they barley save the day.
Booster is convinced Skeets is malfunctioning.Prob to me is the plane is saved in metropolis.. but skeets shows an image of the sydney morning herald stating the original disaster ??
Oh and Wondergirl performed what seemed to be a authentic kryptonian memorial vis webcam

Thats a brief rundown.... i think there was a lot more to this issue than my first glance noticed... what did every one else see???

Old May 17th, 2006   grammar is offline   #2
grammar

they barley save the day.
ddf
stieller
Oat really! But hay, that's rye I shouldn't wheat spoilers.

Faster than a misplaced modifier
More powerful than the passive voice
Able to split infinitives in a single bound
Old May 17th, 2006   jbodin is offline   #3
jbodin
persona non grata

Boster attempts to save a plane but the info skeets gives him is slightly wrong.. he faces the north expecting the plane but it comes from the south... they barley save the day.
Booster is convinced Skeets is malfunctioning.Prob to me is the plane is saved in metropolis.. but skeets shows an image of the sydney morning herald stating the original disaster ??
ddf
stieller
That's because somehow, the current Booster Gold (and Skeets) on New Earth is really the Booster Gold (and Skeets) of Earth-1 . . . and Skeets is still channelling info from the Earth-1 timeline because . . . wait for it . . . Earth-1 is still out there, along with the rest of the multiverse.

The as-yet unrevealed resurrection of the multiverse is screwing up time travel (which is being translated into time/dimensional travel instead of straight-line linear time travel within a given dimensional continuum).

Trust me on this -- I couldn't make this stuff up . . . or could I?

Old May 17th, 2006   Mark MacMillan is offline   #4
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

What really surprised me was the list of kidnapped scientists Morrow told Magnus about. Add in Professor Stein's kidnapping and it's quite the conspiracy.

What also surprised me was that Cassie's the leader of the Resurrection Cult and that the S shield means resurrection when turned upside down.

Does anybody else think that these two things might possibly be connected?

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old May 17th, 2006   Hol is offline   #5
Hol
persona non grata

Very cool issue. A lot better than issue 1. I am really digging Boosters role and prominance in the series as well as the mystery of the vandalism at Sues grave. And how is it connected to Wonder Girl??? This book is really good. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Gotta say I am suprised by where the History of the DCU is going. I thought it would be more of a history of New Earth...not the Pre Crisis stuff. Color me confused.

Old May 17th, 2006   Tazwert is offline   #6
Tazwert
Old Fart on The Bloc

Hmmmmmm....

Watch this space for something interesting. Coming some time soon.

MicroCon and FallCon
Old May 17th, 2006   Mark MacMillan is offline   #7
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Very cool issue. A lot better than issue 1. I am really digging Boosters role and prominance in the series as well as the mystery of the vandalism at Sues grave. And how is it connected to Wonder Girl??? This book is really good. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Gotta say I am suprised by where the History of the DCU is going. I thought it would be more of a history of New Earth...not the Pre Crisis stuff. Color me confused.
ddf
Keith Tarnowski
From what I've read from both Crises it goes Big Bang, Multiverse with its own timeline, COIE (and the time travel to before the Big Bang to fight the Anti-Monitor), Big Bang, One not completely folded universe with its own timeline, IC, unfolded universe into a multiverse, Alex Luthor's manipulation of different Earths, new Earth's folded in to a single universe, Brave New World with its own timeline.

Old May 17th, 2006   Atom is offline   #8
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

So are they using 52 to set up a re-imagining of the Multiverse?

Wow - might have to eat my words on that if it turns out to be true. Hope they taste good with salt and pepper, and just a hint of tenderizer.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old May 17th, 2006   WyldeWolf is offline   #9
WyldeWolf
Daddy's here, poozers!

From what I've read from both Crises it goes Big Bang, Multiverse with its own timeline, COIE (and the time travel to before the Big Bang to fight the Anti-Monitor), Big Bang, One not completely folded universe with its own timeline, IC, unfolded universe into a multiverse, Alex Luthor's manipulation of different Earths, new Earth's folded in to a single universe, Brave New World with its own timeline.
ddf
Mark MacMillan
Yes and no. See, due to the events of COIE, the multiverse didn't just disappear, it never existed. There were certain anomalies such as Kal-L and SBP who existed because they were essentially outside of time at the Big Bang during the battle between the Anti-Monitor and the Spectre.

I'm done.
Old May 17th, 2006   WARRIOR is offline   #10
WARRIOR
Deactivated

My review is HERE !!

Great issue.

Old May 17th, 2006   Mark MacMillan is offline   #11
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

Yes and no. See, due to the events of COIE, the multiverse didn't just disappear, it never existed. There were certain anomalies such as Kal-L and SBP who existed because they were essentially outside of time at the Big Bang during the battle between the Anti-Monitor and the Spectre.
ddf
WyldeWolf
Oh, I know. I'm just stating the history of the Harbinger Orb (as it has existed outside of space and time) If you read 52 #2, you'll see what I mean.

Also here's an explanation I gave someone about the two crises after Didio's explanation about how they are connected in an article he did for Newsarama...

From what Didio said to Newsarama (and everything else from this thread) I think the official continuity explanation goes something like this...

During COIE the Multiverse folded into one universe with one Earth (an Earth made up of the 5 remaining Earth's that survived the original Crisis)

Time was compressed and this new universe was born after the big bang (and the fight with the Anti-Monitor)

This creates a new timeline (and continuity) This new timeline combines the events/histories of the 5 remaining Earths from COIE (with Earth-1 as the predominant focal point) slightly altering them to fit.

With the end of the Crisis the characters of the DCU were placed in their proper places in the new universe and their lives altered according to the new timeline (except for Alex Luthor, SBP, Pariah, Lady Quark, Harbinger, Psycho Pirate, etc. who then existed outside of continuity)

To make a long story short, the Multiverse never existed in the new universe even though the new universe wouldn't have ever existed without the Multiverse.

Anyway, fast-forward to Infinite Crisis. This is where we find out the Multiverse has never really and truly folded into one universe (fluctuating since the end of COIE causing random continuity "glitches") and to make matters worse SBP has been creating "continuity waves" throughout the new universe for years, trying to break through the "wall of reality" which held him, E-2 Supes, and Lois, imprisoned in Alex Luthor's "heaven" since the end of COIE.

Because of the new Earth's fluctuations and the "continuity waves" created throughout the years by SBP, the continuity of the DCU has been effected (causing all the continuity problems since COIE).

This all also ties into Zero Hour where the premise was the effects of COIE hadn't ended with the Crisis but continued to affect the mainstream DCU thus resulting in continuity problems like the Hawkmess.

Since the Multiverse never truly folded after COIE. The new universe has been fluctuating all this time affecting the continuity. SBP's "poundings", on the "wall of reality" have just made matters worse the last few years (i.e, The returns of Jason Todd, the original Doom Patrol, Kara Zor-el, etc)

Also, Berganza has said that the multiverse is turning out to be bigger than we thought. The implication was COIE and Zero Hour only affected kind of 'local' multiverses while the whole enchilada was a much bigger affair.

This is now because the Multiverse never truly folded (with the other Earth's still resonating throughout the new universe) Each Earth causes it's own fluctuation and with every event that happens or doesn't happen, another alternate universe is added to the not quite folded Multiverse (adding more fluctuations) This in turn explains why the Multiverse kept expanding, and everything starts with E-2 Supes. It also explains the "Echo Effect" seen in the last pages of various comics before the OYL jump.

This was further supported in recent works like PAD's final Supergirl issues where not only was the Pre Crisis multiverse still somehow accessible to the current DCU, but one of the baddies was killing off all the alternate versions of Supergirl across the various universes also implying a multiverse accessible from the mainstream DCU.

The existence of the Multiverse was also supported in The Return of Donna Troy. Also because the Multiverse never truly folded, it couldn't really fold her into the new reality (like Power Girl) and all of Donna Troy's history took place on different Earths where she lived various lives.

So I think, what we might end up with is a single universe with a broader continuity. One where all the super powered inhabitants know about all these various realities and realize how important every decision, they make or don't make, is in the bigger scheme of things.
ddf
Click here for the thread

Old May 17th, 2006   Brian LaBelle is offline   #12
Brian LaBelle
I teleported.

Ira "I.Q." Quimby...

Best part of the book!

I may have to alter my review formula.

Old May 17th, 2006   krhorneman is offline   #13
krhorneman
Advanced Geoffan

"So say we all" - a nice Battlestar Galactica reference. Skeets also had the flight number wrong from the newspaper headline, so he is obviously still suffering from problems.

Red Tornado dead? When did that happen? Red inferno? Has Doc Magnus always been a pupil of Morrow's, or is this all new stuff? I really liked the interaction between the two of them. Who were all the mad scientists Morrow mentioned? I only recognized one or two. Was the case that Ralph and the caretaker talked about a real one from his past?

I really enjoyed the issue, I can definitely get used to having a story that progresses every single week. I already like it. I, too, was expecting a little more from the DCU history backup story, hopefully it will be more informative in the next few issues.

Old May 17th, 2006   Colin Solan is offline   #14
Colin Solan
ghost

Humor may be dead in the new DC but mystery is alive and well. How bada$$ was the Question? I wanna see him lay the smack down on the Riddler for the ? copyright

Old May 17th, 2006   krhorneman is offline   #15
krhorneman
Advanced Geoffan

Oooh, ooh, on second reading, Dr Tyme stole 52 seconds last year, ha ha. And even better, it appears that Rip Hunter is alive and well in the new universe.

Old May 17th, 2006   CapeandCowl is offline   #16
CapeandCowl
Gad Fly

"So say we all" - a nice Battlestar Galactica reference. .
ddf
krhorneman
I know! that was pretty cool.