The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old August 26th, 2006   Eric is offline   #33
Eric
Adventurer/Man About Town

Not so much in those first two appearances. What humor that was there is very black.

The thing about the character was that he wasn't bat$#!t goofy nuts, he was a serial killer. He would single out a victim and then go about torturing that victim, rob them and then kill them...later. The thieving he could do anytime he wanted and never get caught. The fun was in the torturing, killing and the getting away with it right under the nose of the authorities. He wasn't stupid, he was smart, probably as smart as the Batman. And he was unpredictable but not the predictable unpredictable he's portrayed as these days. He didn't do these big production numbers with song and dance, he kept it small and intimate, that's scarier. It could be anyone at anytime instead of everyone, all the time. I think that's why The Killing Joke really resonates, it was more in character of the original depiction of the Joker. He singled out one person, and did the most damage to him that he could. What he did to Barbara was just a side effect and a little spiff. Gordon was the one he was after.
ddf
Trespasser View Post
Torturing? Psychologically, yes. Physically, no. And he was not what would be classified as a serial killer. He was obsessed with big jewels. hmmph. I probably could have phrased that better.

He stole jewels and killed people.

In his first appearance, he takes over some radio waves and says he's going to kill a specific person at a specific time and steal a rare diamond.

At the specific time, the specific person keels over, dead, right in front of the cops. They open the safe, and the diamond has been replaced with a fake. The readers are then told that Joker had actually poisoned the man 24 hours before (the poison took 24 hours to take effect), and that his announcement of the crime was only after he had committed it. That's how he was able to pull it off. Dastardly!

His second appearance is actually the in the same issue of Batman. In the end, he accidentally stabs himself in a fight with Batman. That would have been the end of the Joker, but the editor saw the potential in the character.

He wasn't cracking jokes or trying any grand schemes, and there were no giant props, squirting flowers, or bad puns. He was a really creepy dude with a really creepy laugh who killed people for jewels or revenge (his second appearance started with him vowing revenge on those who had put him away).

Old August 26th, 2006   Trespasser is offline   #34
Trespasser
Aw crap!

Torturing? Psychologically, yes. Physically, no. And he was not what would be classified as a serial killer. He was obsessed with big jewels. hmmph. I probably could have phrased that better.
ddf
Eric View Post
Wow. Attitude for no good reason. I wasn't aware I needed to specify psychological or physical.

He stole jewels and killed people.
ddf
Is this how you would phrase it better? By saying it without the specifics?

In his first appearance, he takes over some radio waves and says he's going to kill a specific person at a specific time and steal a rare diamond.
ddf
Ah! The torture and the challenge that I'd mentioned.

At the specific time, the specific person keels over, dead, right in front of the cops. They open the safe, and the diamond has been replaced with a fake. The readers are then told that Joker had actually poisoned the man 24 hours before (the poison took 24 hours to take effect), and that his announcement of the crime was only after he had committed it. That's how he was able to pull it off. Dastardly!
ddf
Ah! Part Deux. The thieving that he could do and get away with at any time. Which he demonstrated a couple of more times in that same story. Especially when he posed as the police chief. He easily could have waited until the man drifted off to sleep and stolen the gem then, but he didn't he wanted to let them know he was in control and he killed him just to kill him. As with the first victim you mentioned. If that doesn't qualify as a serial killer, I guess I don't know what does.

His second appearance is actually the in the same issue of Batman. In the end, he accidentally stabs himself in a fight with Batman. That would have been the end of the Joker, but the editor saw the potential in the character.

He wasn't cracking jokes or trying any grand schemes, and there were no giant props, squirting flowers, or bad puns. He was a really creepy dude with a really creepy laugh who killed people for jewels or revenge (his second appearance started with him vowing revenge on those who had put him away).
ddf
He killed people because he liked to kill people. It was fun for him. In every instance, he could have gotten away with the loot without killing anyone. It was a game, matching wits with the police and he won everytime until it came to matching wits with Batman. That's when the revenge came about and that's when he became Batman's arch enemy.

I've got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos. That seems fair.
Old August 26th, 2006   Thunderflash11 is offline   #35
Thunderflash11
Supreme Geoffan

why am I so much smarter than casting execs?
ddf
superfriend View Post
HE IS THE ULTIMATE JOKER! I've been pitching glover for ages now and i am pissed that they went with heath ledger. Before brokeback (the most OVERRATED movie of all time) no-one gave a crap for ledger. Honestly, had brokeback not been made, we would have a different joker.
Anywhoo, paint glover white and give him big red lips and green hair, and you have got yourself a joker my friends.

Old August 26th, 2006   carmine007 is offline   #36
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

I heard glover was the first choice for the joker. he would have been a great choice.
heth ledger?? meh.

Batman should go back in time to stop his parents murder but end up dating his mother and he has to get his dad to go out with her at the "under the sea" dance.

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions
Old August 26th, 2006   Greg Waite is offline   #37
Greg Waite
Uber Geoffan

From reading more and more about how Nolan sees The Joker, I'm more intrigued of how they will handle him than I am about the story.

I hope Ledger won't be in the clown makeup. The Joker has to be deranged but full of energy.

"We can't be all heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by." Will Rogers
Old August 27th, 2006   augustusceaser is offline   #38
augustusceaser
The Almighty Tallest

I put my faith in Nolans pick for The Joker, I have no doubt it will be great.

"Now now Christmas is a time to be kind to all Santas children, unless their heads are filthy with lies. Into the jingle jail with the non beleiver".
Old August 27th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #39
The Flash
Geoffan

^ Agreed. Nolan for sure is stilcking with the source material for Joker. It's going to be truly awesome, I just know it.

Old August 27th, 2006   darthlucifuge is offline   #40
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

I hope Ledger won't be in the clown makeup. The Joker has to be deranged but full of energy.
ddf
Greg Waite View Post
At the end of Begins, Gorden says "he's just like you he has a taste for theatrics"
My guess is yeah Hes gonna be in make up.
Why would that be bad anyways?

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old August 27th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #41
The Flash
Geoffan

Quick question for you all. Do you guys think Batman should acquire the title "The Dark Knight" in the film? Thoughts on this?

Old August 27th, 2006   darthlucifuge is offline   #42
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Quick question for you all. Do you guys think Batman should acquire the title "The Dark Knight" in the film? Thoughts on this?
ddf
The Flash View Post
That would be cool.
So yeah.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old August 27th, 2006   Eric is offline   #43
Eric
Adventurer/Man About Town

Wow. Attitude for no good reason. I wasn't aware I needed to specify psychological or physical.

Is this how you would phrase it better? By saying it without the specifics?
ddf
Trespasser View Post
With the exception of the serial killer comment, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was expanding on his first two appearances. And the "I probably could have phrased it better" was a remark on my own previous sentence of "he was obsessed with big jewels" because it sounded vaguely dirty. It wasn't directed toward you or anything you had said. Upon re-reading my post, it's not exactly clear. I apologize for any mix-up there.

So I guess that means I probably could have phrased "I probably could have phrased it better" better.

Old August 27th, 2006   Trespasser is offline   #44
Trespasser
Aw crap!

With the exception of the serial killer comment, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was expanding on his first two appearances. And the "I probably could have phrased it better" was a remark on my own previous sentence of "he was obsessed with big jewels" because it sounded vaguely dirty. It wasn't directed toward you or anything you had said. Upon re-reading my post, it's not exactly clear. I apologize for any mix-up there.

So I guess that means I probably could have phrased "I probably could have phrased it better" better.
ddf
Eric View Post
Then I apologize for my sarcasm, my misunderstanding and pretty much the whole thing. Although I still think he was a serial killer.

Back to the topic.

ddf
I don't think he should ever be referred to as such within the film unless maybe it's used as a newsblurb or something like that. I can't see anyone actually refering to him that way. It's kind of goofy and unwieldy and really would kind of take me out of the film because it's how he's referred to as a comic character.

I've got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos. That seems fair.
Old August 28th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #45
The Flash
Geoffan

Hey, do you guys think Zsasz should return for TDK? Also, how would you describe Harvey Den't personality? Before he was Two-Face?

Old August 28th, 2006   The Flash is offline   #46
The Flash
Geoffan

By the way, what do you guys think of Jerry Robinson advising TDK for Joker?

Old August 28th, 2006   Jake1823 is offline   #47
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

At the end of Begins, Gorden says "he's just like you he has a taste for theatrics"
My guess is yeah Hes gonna be in make up.
Why would that be bad anyways?
ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
I have to agree. I think the Joker would be worse off without the makeup.

Where is everybody?