The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old July 13th, 2006   Lion Blade is offline   #49
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

Yup. The rest of the speculation is just industry politics. No way this movie doesn't get a sequel.
ddf
Matches
I can't stand politics.

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old July 13th, 2006   mpjedi2 is offline   #50
mpjedi2
Mark Pracht

So far, the movie's at $147 million as of reports on the 11th; another $53 million during the rest of the domestic theatrical run for a film that's been out for two weeks isn't really that much of a stretch
ddf
CmdrJBond
It might be, for a movie that's dropping 50% (or more) each week. assuming that continues, and there's no reason to believe it won't...

(all estimates, of course, are approximate)

Opening Weekend (Holiday& Extra Days) = $108 Mil ($108 Tot)

Past weekend gross = $22 ($142)

Next week total gross = $11 ($160)

Week after = $5.5 ($169)

Week after that = $2.75 ($175)

Week after that = $1.3 ($178)

Week after that = $.75 ($180)

Week after that = $.3 ($181)

Week after that = $.1 ($182)

That gets us to the end of August. I doubt it'll be in many theatres at that point.

(remember, Batman Begins ((to my mind, a superior movie, but we're not gonna go into that here)) just limped over the $200M mark to close around $205 million for the entire run, and this movie is doing a little better business with a longer running time that results in fewer showings per day).
ddf
Batman Begins never had a 50% box office drop.

All in all, I guess that the film will at the very least break even, and probably exceed the budget by 4-5 percent domestically.
ddf
Unlikely. The Budget was over $200 Million, plus $100 million in prints and marketing. Plus, the costs from the aborted attempts over the last decade.

All the international stuff is just gravy (and it hasn't even really opened overseas in larger markets yet), and the DVD sales will be very good (beware the inevitable double-dip here). It won't do $400M like Spider-Man, but all in all, still an OK performance
ddf
Yep...but the movie cost so much, it's destined for the "disappointment in relation to cost" bin.

Old July 13th, 2006   TJLamb0518 is offline   #51
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

But, of course, that opening weekend went from Tuesday through the 4th of July. So, it's opening weekend was actually an opening week. A 50% drop is not that unexpected. Heck, EVERY show I saw it playing at the first weekend was sold out.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old July 13th, 2006   rooboy666 is offline   #52
rooboy666
Free Ostrander Chairman

Of course the problem with that is that a proportionately higher amount of it's income has already been banked than a normal movie as well. (I love games like this )

Though, I'm pretty sure most movies don't continue to post 50% attendance drops - and if it did, it'll be out of theaters long before August. Most movies experience a big drop the first week or two (not usually 50%, but most don't have to contend with POTC2 in their second week either) and then much smaller drops each week after that. For reference, X Men 3 just dropped out of the top 10 this last week.

I have to admit I was pretty impressed that you factored in weekday ticket sales as well - I was getting ready to add up the numbers, sure that you hadn't accounted for that, but you had.

BRING BACK JOHN OSTRANDER!
Old July 13th, 2006   Kelly2020 is offline   #53
Kelly2020

Didn't X-3 have a 60%+ drop-off after the first week?

Old July 14th, 2006   Lion Blade is offline   #54
Lion Blade
Autistic Artist

Didn't X-3 have a 60%+ drop-off after the first week?
ddf
Kelly2020
I don't know, but between domestic sales and foreign sales, X-3 managed to make money back with profit. Anyhow, if the WB decides to make two more sequels instead of one for Superman movies, then they could consider filming both movies at the same time if that helps reduce the production budget cost.

I rather be open-minded than be ignorant. This may sound harsh, but that's what I believe.
Old July 14th, 2006   Teen Lantern#2 is offline   #55
Teen Lantern#2
hot damn

Don't worry Superman will crack $200 million.

And people ask why there is no "Teen Lantern."- Green Lantern John Stewart in Teen Titans #6