The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 2nd, 2015   Penny Dreadful is offline   #257
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

I don't see why they even feel the need to bother assigning a universe to comics like Prez, Bizarro, Bat-Mite, etc.
What Earth did "'Mazing Man" take place on? Was "Ambush Bug" really supposed to be "in continuity?" I suppose "Angel Love" was on Earth-Vajayjay?

If they want to get out of the continuity weeds, then just get out of them. DC has been half-assing the concept of a shared universe ever since the New 52 launched. "On one hand, everything happened, but on the other hand, none of that ever happened..."

If a rigid continuity makes them feel hamstrung and limited, okay, fine! But this "kinda, but, you know, not really, um, you see, it's like, well, really it's all the readers' fault for asking stupid questions," mess just makes them look foolish, like they're doing some magic card trick and keep guessing the wrong card.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
I really don't think that TPTB have any policy other than "everything is possible/everything happened/yes, even Lex Luthor stealing 40 cakes."

Meanwhile, the little I've read about post-Convergence makes me feel better about dropping DC after said event. Despite the lip service given (on Bleeding Cool) to a handful of more upbeat Bat-books and that JL 3K book nobody reads, it mostly looks to be more of the same old, same old to me. Lip service given to "variety" in books that will receive little fanfare and get canceled after 6-8 months.

No, wait. Superman has a buzz cut. That is a change.

Look on the bright side. If they're really ditching continuity, that means fewer characters as cannon fodder in silly events, right?
Last edited by Penny Dreadful; June 2nd, 2015 at 04:53 PM.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old June 2nd, 2015   Amentep is offline   #258
Amentep

I don't see why they even feel the need to bother assigning a universe to comics like Prez, Bizarro, Bat-Mite, etc.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Blame the readers who only want to read comics "that count" and therefore want to know what universe the story should be counted in.

I've never cared as long as it was good. Oh I could gripe about continuity sure, but a good comic was a good comic.

Old June 2nd, 2015   mmk123 is offline   #259
mmk123
Geoffan

as someone who has been buying comics since 1977, to me the whole matter of continuity always started with the comic book companies-mainly DC. They did the original Crisis to streamline continuity. That is why they did Zero Hour. That is why they did Year One Annuals. That is why Zero Month happened. A new Secret Origins series started. NU52. Fans wanted it because every attempt to do something with continuity in DC Comics just MESSED IT UP.

I do agree, I just want a good story. I do not care if Batman is on Thanagar with the Justice League the same month that the Joker has him imprisoned in an old wine cellar the same month he is teaming up with Batwoman in her book the same month that he is rescuing Commisioner Gordon from Arkham Asylum. If they are all good stories that is all that counts. That is what the Suspension of Disbelief is when it comes to fiction.

Old June 3rd, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #260
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

DC has been insecure about their continuity for a long time. Obviously CoIE was their signal to readers at the time that they were "making sense out of it all." Marvel had a well-defined shared universe, and maybe the people at DC were being told that DC's less consistent continuity was part of the reason more readers bought Marvel comics. Maybe that's completely true, maybe that's just how it translated from the mouths of readers into market research, or maybe it was just a big assumption on DC's part. Personally, I liked the looser continuity that DC had prior to the early '80s. Ever since CoIE, DC has been trying to be Marvel, and it makes them look like they're trying too hard to be cool.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 3rd, 2015   leonmallett is offline   #261
leonmallett
comics fan

I will have to go back and look but when Telos sent Superman and Parallax back to the original Crisis, at what point in the Crisis were they being sent back? I assume that Flash and Supergirl were being sent to their deaths but if Superman and Tellos were being sent back to about that same time when Supergirl and Flash died there were only 5 Earths left in the multiverse-Earth 1, 2, S, X and the Charleston characters Earth (forget what number or letter they were). Since Superman and Parallax helped sway the Crisis to let the multiverse live were they able to cause the rebirth or 47 other Earths to make bring it up to 52 separate Universes (at this point I am still considering Multiversity and the Multiversity Guidebook to be correct) or were they sent back to the beginning of the Crisis and only 52 Earths survived?
ddf
mmk123 View Post
Earth 4 for Charlton IIRC.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old June 4th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #262
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Earth 4 for Charlton IIRC.
ddf
leonmallett View Post
You recall correctly indeed.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 8th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #263
Amentep

Well I got the Justice Society 2-parter. Didn't like it. Kinda bored by the "Old guys complain about being old, get magically youthified and fight and defeat new bad guy then going back to being old guys but less complainy". I dunno, it just felt like it was hitting the expected notes.

Also got the Green Lantern/Parallax comic. Rubish. No character got out of this one looking good.

Plastic Man and the Freedom Fighters #2 - does nothing to change my mind that the first one was a poor effort. Phantom Lady is shown throwing zaps at people in a splash - when did that become one of her powers? I certainly don't recall that being the case from when these characters are supposedly from? Uncle Sam gets no further mention and the Freedom Fighters themselves may have not even existed as the story focuses on Plastic Man (who I'll mention again was dead on Earth-X during the period this is supposed to be taken from) teaming up with Nazi Silver Ghost to try and defeat the bad guys.

Shazam #2 - great, wonderful art, good use of the characters. Can we see a book from this writer and artist team using these versions of the characters please?

Old June 8th, 2015   TJLamb0518 is offline   #264
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Shazam #2 - great, wonderful art, good use of the characters. Can we see a book from this writer and artist team using these versions of the characters please?
ddf
Amentep View Post
I honestly cannot tell you how many people I've heard this from! I am AMAZED that out of all the tie-ins, THIS is the one that got universally praised. And I saw the art....perfection. I'm not even a huge Marvel Family fan, but my goodness this artist GETS his subject matter.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 8th, 2015   Amentep is offline   #265
Amentep

Yup, Evan "Doc" Shaner really captured the Marvels. I think I'd seen his art in...Dynamite's Flash Gordon and mayber Archaia's Jim Henson Storyteller?