The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old February 10th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #1
mego joe
Geoffan

Default Thoughts on Earth 2

As you all know, I've not been thrilled with this Nu Earth 2. However, I've kept up with events through the Bloc and previews etc..... I will say I am becoming more intrigued. The reason may surprise you.

It seems to me that as this book progresses that it becomes less, and less like the true, original Earth-Two. So much so that it becomes easier to separate them. So much so that it seems like it has nothing to do with the original, and even the names seem to be more coincidence than homage.

What seems truly unnerving is that it's taken so long to get to this point. Once again I feel that the decompressed story has limited the opportunity for the writer to acquaint us with the world and characters. It shouldn't take this long. This is a real issue for every book DC publishes. Dear DC, STOP!

With that said, I haven't bought any more issues of Earth 2, but I might be able to at some point because it seems pretty distanced from the true, original Earth-Two.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old February 10th, 2013   leonmallett is offline   #2
leonmallett
comics fan

I disagree about the decompression; I think that is an easy label to bandy about, and honestly, I do not think it applies to Earth 2. I think simple analysis of frequency of action scenes and plot bumps rather than purely character driven moments would bear that out.

The new 52 - probably not for me...
Old February 10th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #3
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I do agree decompression is an easy label to stick on stories. But I dropped Earth 2 for that very reason. It really is decompressed story telling. I don't expect to plow through an issue in 5 minutes and not feel there's very much there.

It's taken this many issues just to set things up, and we've not heard much about this 'coming great evil'

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old February 10th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #4
mego joe
Geoffan

I think it's not just go quickly the plot progresses but also how long it takes to set up this world and characters.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old February 10th, 2013   achilles140 is offline   #5
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

I don't really see many of the classic techniques of decompression here. The story may be a bit slow, but IMO that's more because its all over the place, instead of following a single character or plot. Rather than say the traditional Levitz paradigm.

And it doesn't drag to the extent that the Kingdom Come arc in the previous Justice Society by Johns and Ross did, which was essentially characters walking around and doing little of note for way too long. That was the poster child for a story that went on way too long for what was there.

Personally, I'd go another way if it was me writing E2, focusing more on a core of characters and a few plots in the traditional "A" "B" and "C" fashion. Then gradually revealing the wider world. But I can see doing it in an alternate way. I do think the characters are suffering under this approach, but perhaps that's just me, as a lot of others seem to find this book pretty much perfect.

Try my Blog!

Visit me on Facebook here!
Old February 10th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #6
mego joe
Geoffan

I don't really see many of the classic techniques of decompression here. The story may be a bit slow, but IMO that's more because its all over the place, instead of following a single character or plot. Rather than say the traditional Levitz paradigm.

And it doesn't drag to the extent that the Kingdom Come arc in the previous Justice Society by Johns and Ross did, which was essentially characters walking around and doing little of note for way too long. That was the poster child for a story that went on way too long for what was there.

Personally, I'd go another way if it was me writing E2, focusing more on a core of characters and a few plots in the traditional "A" "B" and "C" fashion. Then gradually revealing the wider world. But I can see doing it in an alternate way. I do think the characters are suffering under this approach, but perhaps that's just me, as a lot of others seem to find this book pretty much perfect.
ddf
achilles140 View Post
That's what I was getting at.

Old February 17th, 2013   Terry Sloane is offline   #7
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

The trouble with the word "decompresed" is that its opposite is "compressed," when really, its opposite is just plain decent story telling with a perceptible beginning, middle, and end, written with an economy of words.

First, ban all two-page splash pages.

Second, if I can read the issue in five minutes and end up feeling like "I guess I'll have to wait til next month for something to actually happen," I get a refund for the cost of the issue.

Story arcs killed story telling. These writers start stories with no real idea of where they'll go - just a hunch about the story 'beats,' which they seem to miss as often as not ("let's end in a splash page of a character in a slightly different costume than people are used to and count is as a denouement." -- the new possibly transgendered Wotan, anyone?)

Write the story out, polish it, make its structure sound once you get to the end (because once you end a story you often need to go back and adjust the beginning and the middle), then ship it to the artist and start your next story with this one well-crafted, finished, and "in the can." Write 2-3 arcs out, don't just have "ideas for cool stuff."
Last edited by Terry Sloane; February 17th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Old February 17th, 2013   Outside_85 is offline   #8
Outside_85
persona non grata

ddf
Terry Sloane View Post
Thats Jim Lee out of a job.

Old February 17th, 2013   Terry Sloane is offline   #9
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

Volthoom!

Old February 18th, 2013   achilles140 is offline   #10
achilles140
Supreme Geoffan

The trouble with the word "decompresed" is that its opposite is "compressed," when really, its opposite is just plain decent story telling with a perceptible beginning, middle, and end, written with an economy of words.

Second, if I can read the issue in five minutes and end up feeling like "I guess I'll have to wait til next month for something to actually happen," I get a refund for the cost of the issue.

Story arcs killed story telling. These writers start stories with no real idea of where they'll go - just a hunch about the story 'beats,' which they seem to miss as often as not ("let's end in a splash page of a character in a slightly different costume than people are used to and count is as a denouement." -- the new possibly transgendered Wotan, anyone?)

Write the story out, polish it, make its structure sound once you get to the end (because once you end a story you often need to go back and adjust the beginning and the middle), then ship it to the artist and start your next story with this one well-crafted, finished, and "in the can." Write 2-3 arcs out, don't just have "ideas for cool stuff."
ddf
Terry Sloane View Post
Heh, I feel that way about so many comic book stories these days! It's fluff, not worth the price I pay for it. Kinda like the literary equivalent of a Twinkie. Now some stories in comic books aren't that way. They do feel like you're reading a real story, and leave you wanting more while still feeling you've already got your money's worth. The problem is, so many writers these days don't seem to know how to do that, or seem to have lest the ability.

As for things like a transgendered Wotan, plus even more new gay characters in the one team, that's really starting to feel like pandering, rather than natural, organic story-telling. If true. I wish that instead of doing something like that, Robinson would try to tell stories that felt like I could reread them and still get something out of it.

Try my Blog!

Visit me on Facebook here!
Old February 18th, 2013   JRM is offline   #11
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

ddf
Terry Sloane View Post
I remember when Grell first started using them on The Warlord, and they were then pretty cool - now due to overuse, it's, well - too (way too) much of a good thing.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old February 18th, 2013   mmk123 is offline   #12
mmk123
Geoffan

I am loving this book. Now I was a JSA fan since 1977when a friend lent me JLA#135-137 and when I picked up All-Star Comics #66. I have been a 35 year fan of the JSA and they have always been my favorite super hero group.

For one thing, I feel that Nicola's art is incredible and this book is such a showcase for her work. I also feel that James' writing is at the level that it was during Starman.

My only gripe is that I would like to see more of Earth 2. Whether every so many issues are 40 page issues or if the book would be bi-weekly for a few months. I think that the annual is a step in the right direction to see more. I guess I just want to see the characters introduced/re-introduced more quickly. I understand that some things need to be done slowly for pacing purposes but that is where I wish that there was more of an outlet for Earth 2 than just one monthly, whether it is one shots or an accompanying mini series or a few double sized issues or a twice monthly status.

Old February 18th, 2013   MikeGelbwasser is offline   #13
MikeGelbwasser
Neo Geoffan

I'm enjoying the characters. And the story in general. But, the Mr. Terrific subplot seems MIA -- despite being very compelling.

This is among my favorite books. A slightly quicker pace would make it even better.

Old February 18th, 2013   PyroTwilight is offline   #14
PyroTwilight
Supreme Geoffan

I've been loving it. It's all over the place but that makes sense given the huge stuff going on it's EARTH 2 not Justice Society which makes a bit of sense. That being said I DO think the story can seem slow because of it. I'd actually prefer each issue to at least be double sized since the pace might be too slow and we're essentially getting one book for an entire planet when the mainline universe needs 50 books just for that.

Old February 19th, 2013   Whealer is offline   #15
Whealer
Multiverse refugee

i like it. For the most part i prefer it to the rebooted main DC universe. The exceptions being Wonder Woman and Batman (by Snyder). i love the art and i am enjoying a true reboot in the stories of the Golden Age characters. i have even ordered the hardcopy collection even though i have all the floppies. i want to support this book as much as i can. i can appreciate where others wanted something different but this suits me, sir.

Don't tase me, bro.
Old March 12th, 2013   BrandonFordDodds is offline   #16
BrandonFordDodds
Geoffan

I broke down and bought the last 4 issues

Haven't read them yet but I hate myself

In new DCU, taco eats you. -Hernandez Didio