The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old July 1st, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #1
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

Default Action Comics #890 Discussion Thread (with Preview) - Spoilers!

Paul Cornell (Captain Britain and MI:13) and Pete Woods begin their run on Action Comics on June 30th, starring Lex Luthor!

During Blackest Night, Luthor got his first taste of a power ring and now he wants more!
His search is going to take him across the DCU and face to face with some its biggest villains!

Preview at The Source: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/06...action-comics/

Interview with Cornell on his run: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/06...90-and-beyond/

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old July 1st, 2010   oddballuk is offline   #2
oddballuk
Dapper English Bloke

So what did people think of the issue?

I loved it!

If this is the kind of quality we can expect from Cornell while he's writing for DC (and I was hesitant over what his work at DC would be like) then I'm going to be very pleased.
In one issue I feel like I could happily read a Cornell written Lex Luthor series (yes, I know that is what we're getting here really).

Cornell's Lex was great, just the right balance of mad scientist, ruthless genius and egomaniac.

There was plenty of fun here from the, not-too-surprising, reveal of...

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
...Lois being a droid to Lois-bot unveiling her arsenal and kicking butt to the scenario Lex had his guys produce of what a world under the rule of Lex would look like!

Pete Wood's art was great and, I feel, better than his run on World of New Krypton.
The two-page spread of the constellations was truly beautiful.

I liked how this issue follows up on Blackest Night and builds up the next year of Action Comics and Lex Luthor's role in it and in the DCU as being of major importance.

I'm already excited to see Lex cross paths with Deathstroke and Grodd but this issue also had a great cliffhanger with...

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
...Mr. Mind...

...making me eager to pick up the next issue.

Very good issue!

All things are possible here and I am what madness has made me. Whole and complete and free at last.
- Amadeus Arkham

My Movie Reviews
Old July 1st, 2010   fallentaco is offline   #3
fallentaco
The Lone Gunman

It was a nice solid fun issue. I still love woods' art and I like the idea of Lex Luthor meeting other supervillians.

It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.-Joe Q
Old July 4th, 2010   Andrew72287 is offline   #4
Andrew72287
Neo Geoffan

Paul Cornell didn't let me down with this issue, if this is a good tate of what's to come for him at DC, sign me up.

Old July 4th, 2010   Hierarch555 is offline   #5
Hierarch555
Master Geoffan

Liked it well enough but I would have liked it better had Finch done the interiors. Not a fan of Woods' work in the slightest.

Superman: "You can't predict the outcome of every action. You can't stop every injustice simultaneously. But you have to try, don't you?"
Old July 4th, 2010   handler313 is offline   #6
handler313
Geoffan

I enjoyed it more than I figured I would. Looks like I am re-adding Action to my pull list

Old July 4th, 2010   Astro is offline   #7
Astro
Geoffan

Brilliant book. So clear that Cornell is going to be a HUGE HUGE boon to the DCU.

Old July 5th, 2010   curiouswanderer is offline   #8
curiouswanderer
O'Brian Tallent

Paul did not disappoint with this issue, didn't really expect that he would though. Lex sounded like Lex. Definitely left me hanging on for the next issue.
Pete's art was turned up a notch or four. Much better than what he had been turning out for the New Krypton run...I didn't check to see if there was a different inker.

I was a little hesitant about having a year devoted to Lex, but if the stories keep up this level of quality I'll be a happy camper!

Havenplace Community Youth Center

My curiouswandering Space

Not all who wander are lost. ~JRR Tolkien
Old July 5th, 2010   General grievous is offline   #9
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Loved the sci fi tone to the issue and Pete Wood's art is fantastic in this issue. Much better than previous efforts. I hope Lex holds this title for at least 20 issues.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old July 12th, 2010   5andman is offline   #10
5andman
Master Geoffan

JMS better bring his A+ game for #701!

Cornell's first issue was brilliant and Pete Woods art has really evolved & matured since his last work. He's fine-tuned his linework and I hope DC finds the right inker to match that style if he needs an inker.

Old July 12th, 2010   Neo God is offline   #11
Neo God
Geoffan

Wow DC did good by hiring Paul Cornell. I've always liked his TV work, so I was optimistic, but this was definitely awesome, and Death showing up along the line has me buckled in.

Pull List: Action Comics, The Flash, Green Arrow, Superboy, Superman/Batman
Old July 13th, 2010   Alan is offline   #12
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I can't even get a copy! THe London shops seem to have sold out! I should have gone to Forbidden Planet after finding that Orbital had sold out but thought that leaving it a week wouldn't hurt...its only Action Comics.

Nope. Sold out. Damn!

Old July 14th, 2010   John Babos is offline   #13
John Babos
Neo Geoffan

I was blown away by Paul's first issue. The Lois thing had me perplexed, but the pay off was great. With Deathstroke, Grodd, and others coming up, this should be a great ride. I'm curious about the Jimmy Olsen co-feature that was announced, but seemed to go under the radar ( http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/06...en-co-feature/ ).

- John Babos

Follow me as BabosScribe on Twitter & Facebook.
Please check out my scribbles at the Comics Nexus too. :)
Old August 2nd, 2010   Call Me El is offline   #14
Call Me El
Geoffan

I enjoyed it more than I figured I would. Looks like I am re-adding Action to my pull list
ddf
handler313 View Post
Same here. Not being much of a GL fan, I didn't read Blackest Night but it looks like all I need to know is here.

I guessed the secret about Lois after reading the preview. The similar reveal about Lex during New Krypton pretty much gave it away.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon