The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 9th, 2015   starks is offline   #145
starks
Geoffan

After Convergence, I'll probably stick with four titles & try out some more on top of that.

I get very little of Marvel nowadays. A story arc here, a story arc there (usually because of a certain character may be appearing).

I'm more into DC's characters and storylines. And more often than not, when I take a look at a Marvel title, the artwork turns me off. IMO a lot of Marvel artwork is substandard and not worth the price.

Old April 10th, 2015   JRM is offline   #146
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

I've gone from 20+ titles down to less than 10. Unless I'm pleasantly surprised, my number of titles will continue to decrease. Maybe it's just my age but DC (and comics in general) isn't offering anything that excites me.
ddf
Mr.G View Post
Yup - been there for a while now.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old April 10th, 2015   BART ALLEN is offline   #147
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Speed Force was fun, I enjoyed it, Just imagine how great it would of been if done by Mark Waid (at person nograta a dc), but still

(the real) Wally and the kids

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old April 10th, 2015   hoyatables is offline   #148
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

Default Convergence Week One Reviews

Week one has come and thus far this is exactly what DC promised. A love letter to those of us who were sad to see our favorites go away. I explained to my wife that this is like discovering your favorite cancelled TV show had one final episode that was lost and found. Some quick thought:

- really loved Superman. This was my Lois and Clark, God I missed them. And I am a sucker for Dan writing them, too.

- Speed Force. "my name is Wally West." Chills. Enjoyable but also a reminder that the kids thing really just doesn't work. Loved seeing Grummetts art though. Wish it had been on Superboy or Robin.

- Nightwing and Oracle. Total badass moment at the end. loved seeing Dick back in blue. (But I forgot, wasn't Dick wearing the Bat costume when Flashpoint hit?)

- Justice League. The premise of an all-female League is intriguing.

- Atom. pure fun. Loved it.

- Batgirl. A little too heavy on the self doubt. Thought we got past that. But great to see the real red robin and of course Steph and Cass.

- Titans. Loved seeing Fabian as the writer and my God he almost redeemed Cry for Justice. Plus, DONNA!!!

- Batman and Robin. Meh,

- Question. Rucka gets to say goodbye. Really enjoyable stuff.

Convergence itself was meh. I have now read worlds end and most of earth 2. Still don't care about the new earth 2.

"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid
Old April 11th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #149
mego joe
Geoffan

Week one has come and thus far this is exactly what DC promised. A love letter to those of us who were sad to see our favorites go away. I explained to my wife that this is like discovering your favorite cancelled TV show had one final episode that was lost and found. Some quick thought:

- really loved Superman. This was my Lois and Clark, God I missed them. And I am a sucker for Dan writing them, too.

- Speed Force. "my name is Wally West." Chills. Enjoyable but also a reminder that the kids thing really just doesn't work. Loved seeing Grummetts art though. Wish it had been on Superboy or Robin.

- Nightwing and Oracle. Total badass moment at the end. loved seeing Dick back in blue. (But I forgot, wasn't Dick wearing the Bat costume when Flashpoint hit?)

- Justice League. The premise of an all-female League is intriguing.

- Atom. pure fun. Loved it.

- Batgirl. A little too heavy on the self doubt. Thought we got past that. But great to see the real red robin and of course Steph and Cass.

- Titans. Loved seeing Fabian as the writer and my God he almost redeemed Cry for Justice. Plus, DONNA!!!

- Batman and Robin. Meh,

Convergence itself was meh. I have now read worlds end and most of earth 2. Still don't care about the new earth 2.
ddf
hoyatables View Post
So many good moments in the books you mentioned- Superman, JL, Nightwing/Oracle, Speed Force, Titans. Just a fun trip. I am appreciating it.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old April 11th, 2015   Whealer is offline   #150
Whealer
Multiverse refugee

Default Boring

Got to say i feel alone in my reaction to this event. I just finished reading the last of the five books i bought this week of the "convergence". I should have saved my money. It is all basically the same story... No, make that the same dull story. I understand why readers are enjoying seeing their old favorites in action again, but it just doesn't churn my butter. First of all the main series has bored me for two issues so i am thru with it. I have only enjoyed "moments" in a couple of books so i am not following up with those next month. In point of fact i am thru with the event completely barring some real change in direction of the event... Which i don't even hope for. Hope u others continue to find the fun in this but u can stick a fork in me.

Don't tase me, bro.
Old April 11th, 2015   darthlucifuge is offline   #151
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

Got to say i feel alone in my reaction to this event. I just finished reading the last of the five books i bought this week of the "convergence". I should have saved my money. It is all basically the same story... No, make that the same dull story. I understand why readers are enjoying seeing their old favorites in action again, but it just doesn't churn my butter. First of all the main series has bored me for two issues so i am thru with it. I have only enjoyed "moments" in a couple of books so i am not following up with those next month. In point of fact i am thru with the event completely barring some real change in direction of the event... Which i don't even hope for. Hope u others continue to find the fun in this but u can stick a fork in me.
ddf
Whealer View Post
I agree with you.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old April 11th, 2015   superfriend is offline   #152
superfriend
laughs at comics

yeah, i read Convergence #0 and Superman and this is clearly not for me...which is ironic because the New 52 wasn't for me either.

i've still got Multiversity for as long as it lasts.

observe everything, admire nothing
Old April 13th, 2015   WeirdoLegionnaire is offline   #153
WeirdoLegionnaire
Yeah, that's the ticket!

I read the main series, plus Speed Force, Atom, and Question.

I dug em! All 3 were from the DC universe I grew up with, the post Zero hour, pre Flashpoint stuff. It was nice seeing Wally West as THE Flash again, although I was pretty quickly reminded why the concept of his kids didn't really work.

Atom was very odd, but not in a bad way. I enjoyed it.

And Question was very good, simple as that.

The main event series didn't grab me as much, but it wasn't bad at all. Good artwork, even if the first issue was just a lot of setup.

For what's basically a placeholder event to cover a coast to coast move, this is pretty dang good.

Old April 13th, 2015   starks is offline   #154
starks
Geoffan

ddf
hoyatables View Post
Didn't even know Rucka was still doing comics.

Old April 15th, 2015   darthlucifuge is offline   #155
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

I tried out Green Lantern/Parallax. Apparently no one actually remembers Pre-Rebirth Green Lantern and how the universe operated.

Kyles ring DID NOT speak to him.
His ring did not display %'s
He was never part of the GLC.
And Hal wasn't being controlled by an entity.

Yet all this John stuff managed to worm its way in.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old April 16th, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #156
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Didn't even know Rucka was still doing comics.
ddf
starks View Post
He has a STUMPTOWN mini being published by Oni (I think) right now, LAZARUS monthly from Image, and very recently a mini called VEIL from Dark Horse. He's been quite busy.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 16th, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #157
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I tried out Green Lantern/Parallax. Apparently no one actually remembers Pre-Rebirth Green Lantern and how the universe operated.

ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
I guess Hal was technically being controlled or influenced by an entity, just no one knew it yet.

As for the rest... DC sloppy with recent continuity? That am unpossible!

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 16th, 2015   Mark MacMillan is offline   #158
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

ddf
darthlucifuge View Post
Heh. Johns never created the idea of the rings speaking or giving off power readings. That was all stuff from before Emerald Twilight.

Johns also never made Kyle a member of the GLC (that was Bedard's New 52 retcon to Kyle)

Johns did reveal that Hal was infected by the Parallax Entity/Yellow Impurity after Sinestro was killed, and Hal had to fight Sinestro's ghost/spirit (that bonded with the Yellow Impurity) inside of the Central Power Battery in GLC #222-224.

So it sounds more like a terrible mash-up of before Emerald Twilight/after Rebirth/New 52 stuff all rolled into one big rehash of a story.

But, should anyone expect anything else from an event meant to rehash a bunch of stuff from different eras of the DCU in the first place?

I mean, I could tell stuff like this was going to happen reading some of the other solicitations (Guy shouldn't be in the pre-CoIE GLC book considering Guy was in a coma before CoIE, Vixen was never a member of JLI, etc,)

I'm glad that people are enjoying comics, but all of the rehashing that goes on in all comics nowadays is the reason that I just can't read comics anymore.

Anyway, you at least gave it a chance (which makes you a better man than me, Darth)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old April 16th, 2015   Scott Mateo is offline   #159
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

The Aquaman and GL books seemed more like a "What If...Metropolis Was Domed Right After Zero Hour?" So far everything's been OK.

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old April 16th, 2015   darthlucifuge is offline   #160
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

But, should anyone expect anything else from an event meant to rehash a bunch of stuff from different eras of the DCU in the first place?
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
I was just hoping that it would actually be representative of the actual era it was trying to highlight.
Instead we get something akin to someone who read a wiki entry and didn't really take in any of the Marz era Green Lantern.

It sucks because I was looking forward to this book so much.
Instead of a Kyle and Parallax story it was more of Hal is great you guys, he's just not himself and I Kyle Rayner must show him that.