The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old December 23rd, 2014   Mr. Wrong is offline   #81
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I'm hoping that DC will relaunch some of the characters from Convergence but if this is closure for the old DCU... then I'm done! I'll be culling my DC titles to zero.
ddf
Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
I think *eventually* we will see some comics, either one-shots or OGNs, mini-series, etc., that are either set in the old DCU, or at least feature versions of characters that are approximations of "iconic" takes. Either DC will become secure enough in the New 52 that they feel they can do that kind of thing without appearing to invalidate or devalue the New 52, or they will become INsecure enough in it that they will start testing the waters more and more to see if that kind of thing generates sales boosts.

Honestly, I'd be happier with minis, one-shots, OGNs, etc. by top talent featuring "classic" takes on the characters than ongoing monthlies mired in old continuity. The combination of creative freedom and classic or iconic versions of their characters would result in better stories in the long run, IMO.
For example, say Darwyn Cooke or Mike Allred want to do a classic JSA story, but aren't really looking to commit to an ongoing. Maybe Steve Rude has a Superman story he's been wanting to do. Howard Chaykin on a Green Arrow/Black Canary mini? More timeless Batman stories by Matt Wagner? Francacilla's 1970s Batman that he was producing designs and art pieces of?

DC could easily do any of those types of things under a "Multiversity" banner, or just call them "Elseworlds" if they're too anal about exceeding their arbitrary limit of 52 universes.

I really think those kind of things would sell, especially if they are selective and creative about the talent they utilize to produce them.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old January 15th, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #82
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I'm noticing an emerging possibility:

-The band aid month is giving a lot more "air time" to the pre-Crisis Earth-2 than I would have expected.
-The New 52 Earth-2 appears to be facing destruction, and the most recent solicits mention multiple casualties among the New 52 Earth-2 heroes.
-The current Earth-2 series is being cancelled at the end of Convergence.

Is it possible that the pre-Crisis Earth-2 will exist going forward, either as another number or as Earth-2 in place of the New 52 one post-destruction?
Maybe Geoff Johns' plans to play around with this idea following Infinite Crisis are being resurrected? The whole Justice Society Infinity bit, or something similar? DC has a lot of slots open following all of the cancellations after Convergence... And IF it's something Johns is really pushing for...

I think there is a slim, SLIM chance (SLIM, I SAY!!!) that we might actually see a series set on the pre-Crisis Earth-2. All I can say is, I would buy the crap out of it unless they "New 52" it up with more awful costume redesigns and stupid changes... If they play it right by delivering what the people who would be most likely to read such a comic actually want in terms of tone and aesthetics, I really think they could have a chance at a series that would at least sell at the top of the mid-selling title-heap. "Bring back the JSA" seems to be the #1 demand that I see expressed across the interwebs. (I know, not an accurate metric of readership, but still...)

Anyone else think there's a chance in hell of this?

Old January 15th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #83
mego joe
Geoffan

I'm noticing an emerging possibility:

-The band aid month is giving a lot more "air time" to the pre-Crisis Earth-2 than I would have expected.
-The New 52 Earth-2 appears to be facing destruction, and the most recent solicits mention multiple casualties among the New 52 Earth-2 heroes.
-The current Earth-2 series is being cancelled at the end of Convergence.

Is it possible that the pre-Crisis Earth-2 will exist going forward, either as another number or as Earth-2 in place of the New 52 one post-destruction?
Maybe Geoff Johns' plans to play around with this idea following Infinite Crisis are being resurrected? The whole Justice Society Infinity bit, or something similar? DC has a lot of slots open following all of the cancellations after Convergence... And IF it's something Johns is really pushing for...

I think there is a slim, SLIM chance (SLIM, I SAY!!!) that we might actually see a series set on the pre-Crisis Earth-2. All I can say is, I would buy the crap out of it unless they "New 52" it up with more awful costume redesigns and stupid changes... If they play it right by delivering what the people who would be most likely to read such a comic actually want in terms of tone and aesthetics, I really think they could have a chance at a series that would at least sell at the top of the mid-selling title-heap. "Bring back the JSA" seems to be the #1 demand that I see expressed across the interwebs. (I know, not an accurate metric of readership, but still...)

Anyone else think there's a chance in hell of this?
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
Yes, but maybe that's just me hoping...

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old January 20th, 2015   starks is offline   #84
starks
Geoffan

I'll see what comes out of this, as I'm skipping DC for those two months. It just sucks, in that I've been enjoying the heck out of Aquaman, Aquaman & The Others and Deathstroke.

Old January 22nd, 2015   Scott Mateo is offline   #85
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

The Big Difference Between Secret Wars And Convergence, Courtesy Of Dan DiDio

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old January 22nd, 2015   Call Me El is offline   #86
Call Me El
Geoffan

I don't really care if it "matters" but I do hope it becomes a chance at a new life for (and I admit it) my own preferred versions of the characters.

"I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again" - Carly Simon
Old January 23rd, 2015   mego joe is offline   #87
mego joe
Geoffan

I don't really care if it "matters" but I do hope it becomes a chance at a new life for (and I admit it) my own preferred versions of the characters.
ddf
Call Me El View Post
I find it interesting that when I look at the solicits to decide what I'm gonna get, it isn't relegated to a single era. Although, I do have my absolute favorites, I still want to get all 3 different takes on Superman- Golden Age, Silver Age and post-Crisis.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old January 23rd, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #88
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

Based on the solicits I feel like a kid in a candy store...

Earth X Freedom Fighters book
Earth 5 Shazam book
Earth 4 Charlton book
Multiple Earth 2 books Including Infinity Inc!!!!

I'm chuckling a bit about some of the 90's books...but love that they are embracing somewhat the sheer audacity of some of the 90's ideas.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 24th, 2015   mego joe is offline   #89
mego joe
Geoffan

Based on the solicits I feel like a kid in a candy store...

Earth X Freedom Fighters book
Earth 5 Shazam book
Earth 4 Charlton book
Multiple Earth 2 books Including Infinity Inc!!!!

I'm chuckling a bit about some of the 90's books...but love that they are embracing somewhat the sheer audacity of some of the 90's ideas.
ddf
Yeah, it's going to be an expensive month. I'm staying away from most of the nineties stuff. So stoked about the Earth-Two books!

Old January 26th, 2015   Penny Dreadful is offline   #90
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

ddf
Call Me El View Post
I'm just picking up Multiversity and Convergence and that's it for me. I honestly don't think DC Comics has much time left as a comic book publisher. I could see WB crunching the numbers, deciding the comic sales don't justify keeping he comics division, and shutting it down. If they want to keep IP/trademarks, they have other ways to keep them going. They can also license rights for comics to other publishers, like IDW or Dynamite. To be honest, I'd be okay with that.

As a Flash fan, I can say the TV series is miles above the comics. It's the first Flash-related project I've really liked in years

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old January 27th, 2015   JRM is offline   #91
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Pretty much lost interest in the medium. The DC52 killed a lot of it; but the death of my Comic Guy - did much of the rest. Rob was a great retailer to shop from for over 25 years. With his shop closing, and little that holds my interest or loyalty, just not caring. I'll check out an other shop, and likely keep going on a few titles, but that's that I guess.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old January 28th, 2015   Mr. Wrong is offline   #92
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Pretty much lost interest in the medium. The DC52 killed a lot of it; but the death of my Comic Guy - did much of the rest. Rob was a great retailer to shop from for over 25 years. With his shop closing, and little that holds my interest or loyalty, just not caring. I'll check out an other shop, and likely keep going on a few titles, but that's that I guess.

Jim
ddf
JRM View Post
If my LCS ever closes down, I will probably leave the medium for the most part. I'll have to keep up with a few sword & sorcery titles like the Conan & related comics, but beyond that I'd probably move on. I'm back to reading more and more prose these days anyway.

Old January 28th, 2015   Penny Dreadful is offline   #93
Penny Dreadful

I'm downloading comics to my iPhone these days...which saves space. I'm surrounded by comic shops anyway.

Old January 29th, 2015   Astro@work is offline   #94
[email protected]
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

If my LCS were to go out of business, I'd most likely convert to online...and probably downsize as well.

I've got my regular pull list, but also get enticed by something on the shelves because I'm standing there. That's how a few titles like Inhumanity and Invaders have crept into my reading.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old January 31st, 2015   BART ALLEN is offline   #95
BART ALLEN
pre 52 and proud of it

Wally and the Kids in Speed Force, even if it is not written by Mark Waid (not ranting on Mark Waid and dc here), I am still excited about it.

It is the baggage of Linda, the kids, trying to live up to Barry. ect that Make Wally... Wally. other wise it is just some random character named Wally

Looking for the light in a land of forever night
Old February 5th, 2015   Penny Dreadful is offline   #96
Penny Dreadful

I'm also curious about the Ray Palmer/Ryan Choi Atom issue.

With the Multiverse coming into play (dig that Multiversity guidebook!), DC has opportunities opening up if it recognizes them. And if it continues to exist as a publisher (I have my doubts there).

Oh, and drop "new 52" already, since it isn't new anymore.