The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Geoff's film, television and video games!

Old June 18th, 2013   anthony_lynch15 is offline   #225
anthony_lynch15
aka. Anthony Lynch

I can understand the criticisms of the ending and the other moments that seem to be out of character for Clark and Pa. However, I believe Man of Steel is a very well made film that put these pieces together in a believable way. At least they made me believe them. For the ending they presented an impossible situation- was there really an alternative in that moment for an inexperienced Superman who still doesn't know the extent of his powers? I don't think so. Was he happy about? No. He clearly seemed upset about what he did. SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
And I don't think it's because he destroyed the last Kryptonian besides himself. I think it's because he took a life.

I think it's because he went against what he was taught by Ma and Pa. Thankfully, there was no overt line about it in the film otherwise the ending would've been telegraphed.
ddf
mego joe View Post
As for Pa, I think his words were meant to indicate how much he loved Clark no matter what. I think any parent in that situation would be tempted to say the same thing- your child will always be more important to you than someone else's. However, the parent will be proud of that child if they make that decision, but I don't think a parent would ever tell a child to endanger him or herself. I think in this aspect the film was grounded in reality, I think it approached this particular situation from a perspective of -"what if we didn't know this was Superman." I think the most important lesson Clark learned from Pa was SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
his sacrifice so that Clark would not reveal himself.

If anything that had to be the moment that Clark learned how he should live his life- put others above yourself.
ddf
mego joe View Post
I think Jonathan was great in the film.
He cared deeply for his son.
He taught him the difference between right & wrong and wanted to keep him safe until he was old enough to make the right choices. When he indicated to Clark not to save him it was extremely brave.
I think Clark made a wrong & shocking choice in that scene.
But it was a moment hesitation I'm sure he regretted.

Other stuff- I guess I'm the only one that didn't have a problem with Amy Adams as Lois Lane. SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
I didn't have a problem with her figuring out Clark's identity because it made complete sense with the story and it avoids the classic love triangle for future films which means we won't be retreading what's gone before. It will provide a situation much like the comics post Superman #50 (vol. 2) after he revealed his identity to her. It will also put their relationship on an honest footing.

I like it actually. I also like that it allowed Lois to be clever and not so campy.
ddf
mego joe View Post
Loved Lois in this.
Absolutely loved that she worked out that Clark Kent was Superman (or rather who the superpowered individual was).
It puts her so many levels above any other Lois who couldn't even see Superman standing in front of them. LOL

Old June 18th, 2013   mego joe is offline   #226
mego joe
Geoffan

I think Jonathan was great in the film.
He cared deeply for his son.
He taught him the difference between right & wrong and wanted to keep him safe until he was old enough to make the right choices. When he indicated to Clark not to save him it was extremely brave.
I think Clark made a wrong & shocking choice in that scene.
But it was a moment hesitation I'm sure he regretted.
ddf
anthony_lynch15 View Post
I agree with this. Different from the traditional take but I think it works. And it wasn't carelessness or an unwillingness to act on Clark's part so it did not come off as a Spider-Man riff.
Loved Lois in this.
Absolutely loved that she worked out that Clark Kent was Superman (or rather who the superpowered individual was).
It puts her so many levels above any other Lois who couldn't even see Superman standing in front of them. LOL
ddf
The final scene introducing Clark to the Planet staff was priceless. Their knowing looks were perfect and I am excited about how this sets up their future development. Too bad the DCnU hasn't taken a cue from this.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old June 18th, 2013   5andman is offline   #227
5andman
Master Geoffan

It was a JOKE, puddin'-pop
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Not everyone knows their extensive resume, puddin' ...

Old June 18th, 2013   Mr. Wrong is offline   #228
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Worth the bold, was it?

It was a JOKE, puddin'-pop
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Not everyone knows their extensive resume, puddin' ...
ddf
5andman View Post
Why don't people affectionately refer to one another as "Cream of Wheat", or even better, "Lime Sherbert"? Why does pudding get all the love?

By the way, "Why Does Pudding Get All the Love?" is the name of my soon-to-be-published and questionably-inappropriate children's book.

It is not a direct sequel to "I Thought it Was a Fig", but conceptually it covers much of the same subject matter: Rich, brown, and full of stamina.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 18th, 2013   Scott Mateo is offline   #229
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

In all fairness, 5andman makes some bold statements - literally!

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old June 18th, 2013   Mackaybear is offline   #230
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Better pudding pop, than what he used to call posters. Unless you prefer being called 'a big girl's blouse' ?

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old June 18th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #231
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Better pudding pop, than what he used to call posters. Unless you prefer being called 'a big girl's blouse' ?
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
And how ARE you doing, Lane Bryant?

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 18th, 2013   Terry Sloane is offline   #232
Terry Sloane
Master Geoffan

I want to be Malt-o-Meal or Shredded Wheat.

Old June 18th, 2013   chasm is offline   #233
chasm
Master Geoffan

It seemed like Man of Steel touched a lot of elements from John Byrne's tenure.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read

1. Showing Krypton as a decadent, dying civilization.
2. Kryptonian tinkering with eugenics ultimately doomed them.
3. Reintroducing the Kents as an ongoing factor of Clark's adult life...well, Martha at least.
4. The ultimate fate of Zod and his kill-krew at Superman's hands.

I was also astonished how much the teenage Clark resembled Tom Welling from Smallville. It was spooky!

I really miss the Lois & Clark relationship in the Nu52. I miss the Kents too. It has gutted the soul from Superman's character.

Old June 19th, 2013   Alan is offline   #234
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

The Kents were a modern addition for me, I was used to them only being around in Superboy and not later in his life, and that was the one change Byrne made that never sat right with me, so the current status quo is fine for me.

Lois is still there in most issues, and we all know they will get together at some stage. It took 50-odd years for them to get hitched first time around, so time is on their side. It's an interesting diversion for him to have a super powered relationship (not to mention being more biologically compatable) for a while.

But for the public at large, it will always be Clark and Lois.

Old June 19th, 2013   ronaldj is offline   #235
ronaldj
Supreme Geoffan

35 years ago I went to the big screen and saw a man who could fly……and loved it….today I went for the first time to the big screen again and saw a man who could fly ……..and loved it…

One day I'll be done with this, but for now, once more into the fray. Thom
Old June 19th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #236
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

It seemed like Man of Steel touched a lot of elements from John Byrne's tenure.

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read

1. Showing Krypton as a decadent, dying civilization.
2. Kryptonian tinkering with eugenics ultimately doomed them.
3. Reintroducing the Kents as an ongoing factor of Clark's adult life...well, Martha at least.
4. The ultimate fate of Zod and his kill-krew at Superman's hands.

I was also astonished how much the teenage Clark resembled Tom Welling from Smallville. It was spooky!

I really miss the Lois & Clark relationship in the Nu52. I miss the Kents too. It has gutted the soul from Superman's character.
ddf
chasm View Post
I don't know if the first two were under Byrne or just in the Byrne era....

Old June 19th, 2013   Elias is offline   #237
Elias
Supreme Geoffan

Motion Captured:
3 on 3: Does 'Man Of Steel' effectively set up a shared DC Universe on film? - And what does the mixed critical reaction mean for the series?

Superman Super Site:
Terence Stamp Offers Mixed Feelings on "Man of Steel"

Old June 20th, 2013   Dr_Decipher is offline   #238
Dr_Decipher

I saw the film last night, and my main complaint was Henry Cavill -- he just doesn't understand the character very much. He spends most of the time clearly in love with himself as a drop-dead good-looking male model type, and he possesses none of the self-conscious and awkward introversion that a farmboy misfit would have grown up with. Cavill shows no signs whatsoever of being such a character who had to grow up like that. If anything, he's brimming over with too much confidence and shows no need to break out of a meek and neurotic shell and unleash himself as a hero, whatsoever.

I loved everything about this movie, but Cavill's near-total lack of proper characterization killed what should have been the most compelling part of the film -- the psychological condition of a Dr. jekyll - Mr. Hyde character.

Christopher Reeve understood that dichotomy perfectly and embodied it completely. And that is why his continues to be the definitive portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman.

Why are the shallowest simpletons always the ones in control?
Old June 20th, 2013   darthlucifuge is offline   #239
darthlucifuge
I Walk In Eternity

I saw the film last night, and my main complaint was Henry Cavill -- he just doesn't understand the character very much. He spends most of the time clearly in love with himself as a drop-dead good-looking male model type, and he possesses none of the self-conscious and awkward introversion that a farmboy misfit would have grown up with. Cavill shows no signs whatsoever of being such a character who had to grow up like that. If anything, he's brimming over with too much confidence and shows no need to break out of a meek and neurotic shell and unleash himself as a hero, whatsoever.

I loved everything about this movie, but Cavill's near-total lack of proper characterization killed what should have been the most compelling part of the film -- the psychological condition of a Dr. jekyll - Mr. Hyde character.

Christopher Reeve understood that dichotomy perfectly and embodied it completely. And that is why his continues to be the definitive portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post
You uh...you know goofball neurotic Clark Kent isn't a definitive Superman thing as far as the comics go, right? Geoff Johns may have utilized that in Secret Origin, but that's about it outside the Reeve films. For the most part Clark has always been a nice mild mannered dude who has a strong head on his shoulders. Not a bumbling klutz.

As for him being in love with himself, you seem to have a problem with him being really handsome and full of sex appeal...but that's on you.

"Intelligence without imagination is useless. Creating is harder than knowing." - Franklin Richards
Old June 20th, 2013   TJLamb0518 is offline   #240
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

he possesses none of the self-conscious and awkward introversion that a farmboy misfit would have grown up with. Cavill shows no signs whatsoever of being such a character who had to grow up like that. If anything, he's brimming over with too much confidence and shows no need to break out of a meek and neurotic shell and unleash himself as a hero, whatsoever.
ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post
As was said, meek Clark was an invention. First off, you're stereotyping all farmers as "self-conscious" and awkwardly introspective. Which goes in line with your earlier sweeping generalizations about Pacific Northwesterners. Where are you from, so we may indulge in some sweeping generalizations about you (because specific ones would gets us warned/banned)? Second, he's got the powers of...well...SUPERMAN. Even with Pa Kent constantly telling him to hide his light under a bushel, he knows what he's capable of. That's not a recipe for a lack of confidence.

ddf
Dr_Decipher View Post

Clark Kent, bless him, had the advantage of playing only the two inventions, Clark and Superman. Notice it's neither of them he'splaying in Superman 2 when Lois learns the secret up until he puts the cape back on. THAT'S the true person.

And finally, Reeve's movies are then. This is now. Evolve or die.