The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 4th, 2012   JRM is offline   #113
JRM
Jim, the Auld Phart

Not to put words in Jim's mouth, but my reading of his post was that he was complaining that the New 52 books don't have much variance in tone (i.e. comedy, romance, action, etc.) rather than that the lead characters were not sufficiently diverse.
ddf
Matches View Post
Yeah, you have reading me correctly.

Jim

Uncle Raffe's Private Stock
Contents: lots of Knowledge, Opinions, and Excessive Honesty. May induce a Tendency to Ramble...

The LSH ... RIP
Old June 4th, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #114
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

"I don't know of anybody that doesn't want diversity in comics--with creators and characters--but if creators don't move books--they die."
-Erik Larsen, creator of Savage Dragon and Image co-founder

"You're NOT getting a signal watch!" - Bob Rozakis
Old June 5th, 2012   TJLamb0518 is offline   #115
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

"I don't know of anybody that doesn't want diversity in comics--with creators and characters--but if creators don't move books--they die."
-Erik Larsen, creator of Savage Dragon and Image co-founder
ddf
Scott Mateo View Post
And that's what it realistically comes down to. "The DCU (or Marvel U, it doesn't matter) is TOO white. They're all racists!". DC (or Marvel) puts out books starring African Americans.....and they don't sell. "DC doesn't publish enough books starring women! They're sexist!".....and those books are ussually low sellers.

Comics are a business, not fanfiction.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old June 5th, 2012   Alan is offline   #116
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

That's the bit of this arguement I don't understand. How are DC (and Marvel) to blame when they do put out diverse books which don't sell?

DC seem to be damned for what they do, damned for what they don't and for everything they have no control over.

Old June 5th, 2012   Mackaybear is offline   #117
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

That's the bit of this arguement I don't understand. How are DC (and Marvel) to blame when they do put out diverse books which don't sell?

DC seem to be damned for what they do, damned for what they don't and for everything they have no control over.
ddf
Alan View Post
Now you're gettin' it.....

Modern comics professionals have it rough. IT's a thankless task, with criticism any way you turn, and is a truly thankless task, fraught with peril. Kind of like being TJ's girlfriend would be, I'd imagine

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old June 5th, 2012   TJLamb0518 is offline   #118
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

ddf
Alan View Post
Exactly. And let's be honest, if DC is guilty of ANYthing, it's.......what do you call it when you continue to support something you normally wouldn't because of race/gender? There's a term for that.

Well, back to my point that I just totally took the momentum from, if DC is guilty of anything, it's (insert term for what I described above here) by continuing to publish Wonder Woman when that book rarely sells well enough to warrant the attention it gets from the company.

Old June 5th, 2012   TJLamb0518 is offline   #119
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Now you're gettin' it.....

Modern comics professionals have it rough. IT's a thankless task, with criticism any way you turn, and is a truly thankless task, fraught with peril. Kind of like being TJ's girlfriend would be, I'd imagine
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
The toughest part about being TJ's girlfriend is the constant need for an air pump and a puncture repair kit.

Old June 5th, 2012   Mackaybear is offline   #120
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

Exactly. And let's be honest, if DC is guilty of ANYthing, it's.......what do you call it when you continue to support something you normally wouldn't because of race/gender? There's a term for that.

Well, back to my point that I just totally took the momentum from, if DC is guilty of anything, it's (insert term for what I described above here) by continuing to publish Wonder Woman when that book rarely sells well enough to warrant the attention it gets from the company.
ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I was under the impression that DC had an agreement with Marston and his estate, that if they did not continually publish a WW book they'd lose the copyright?

I may be old and crippled, but I ain't dead yet.
Old June 5th, 2012   chrisbenes is offline   #121
chrisbenes
No Pants Friday EVC

The toughest part about being TJ's girlfriend is the constant need for an air pump and a puncture repair kit.

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
I think I just peed my pants a little

SPOON!!!!

Independent George
Old June 5th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #122
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I was under the impression that DC had an agreement with Marston and his estate, that if they did not continually publish a WW book they'd lose the copyright?
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
That's what I have always heard.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old June 5th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #123
Amentep

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
That's not the case anymore from what I hear; the deal was renegotiated in the 90s with the Marston estate/heirs.

Old June 5th, 2012   TJLamb0518 is offline   #124
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

That's not the case anymore from what I hear; the deal was renegotiated in the 90s with the Marston estate/heirs.
ddf
Amentep View Post
That's how I remember it.

Old June 5th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #125
Amentep

Looks like it was Kurt Busiek who said it.

Old June 5th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #126
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Looks like it was Kurt Busiek who said it.
ddf
Amentep View Post
And now we know.

The Legends of WW mini was really cool, IMO! I'm glad the old arrangement forced them to come up with it as a placeholder.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old July 1st, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #127
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

Aquaman spoilers
SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
The Operative

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!