The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Geoff Johns > Justice League

Old March 28th, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #97
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

I just read it, it was interesting.

Some things on my mind that may be nothing. Is he still in the system for a reason? In Ordway's run, he lived on the streets, this Billy seems like he'd have no problem with doing the same. He goes from foster home to foster home, is it because he's looking for his sister?

The new look, from I what I can make out doesn't look that bad.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old March 28th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #98
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I hope they don't always have Billy wear the red shirt. It needs to go away like Barry's Bow tie and crew cut. Enough.

Looking to trade my single issues for the trade paperbacks. Inbox me if interested. Green Lantern, JSA, Avengers and many DC & Marvel books.
Old March 29th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #99
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

Absolutely, and ditto. And I'm just at the point where we have had had one 12 page episode which is barely enough to make up anyone's mind. This could turn out to be a real turkey, or the best thing since Watchmen, it's too early to say. Sometimes you can tell from one issue that something is appalling (Doc Savage #1 comes to mind as the worst written book I have ever seen, and Mr Terrific #1 as one of those car crashes on all fronts), but this had great art, an intriguing twist and has potential.

I also was never THAT bothered about the character. I remember when DC started publishing the book back in 75/6 on whenever it was being excited for all of about three minutes, and after reading #1 I don't think I read it again till the Don Newton version. I have enjoyed his appearances in things like the JSA or JLI but I have never felt the whole package worked, precisely because it felt too stuck in the 50's. I much preferred the Moore/Gaiman Miracleman take (albeit that is a copy of a copy of a so called copy).
ddf
Alan View Post
That's probably the main reason we feel differently about the character's portrayal. I loved the '70s Captain Marvel revival and would prefer that he be "stuck in the '50s". That was one of the things Ordway did in having the wizard Shazam place a spell on Fawcett City that made it sort of frozen in time, so that it could retain an old-timey look and feel to synch up with the Marvel Family's retro-sensibilities.
I can see why that wouldn't appeal to everyone, though!

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old March 29th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #100
mego joe
Geoffan

But what about the journey of the character? Surely the point of this (as i said on some other incredibly similar thread) is that over time this Billy will discover a sense of family and through this journey become worthy of the mantle of Capta....Shazam! If it just starts off with him being worthy and 'are you Billy? Here is loads of power, use it wisely' it will just be boring, and we don't want that do we now? You have to give Geoff his chance to have his character arc and stuff. Otherwise you can just go back and buy the CC Beck stuff instead. The point of something new is that it is, in fact, new.

Unless you are Green Lantern or Batman of course.
ddf
Alan View Post
No doubt the beck stuff is better so that's not a bad idea. Sometimes you can't wait around for a character arc. Sometimes you only get an issue to hook your audience. Even though these are new takes it doesn't mean reAders can divorce themselves entirely from what's come before. So what's next a deadly serious socially conscious Plastic Man?

GL has hanged though, Sinestro is now a better lead character than Hal. If Hal gets the ring back I might drop the book.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 29th, 2012   Bizarro #98 is offline   #101
Bizarro #98
Supreme Geoffan

So what's next a deadly serious socially conscious Plastic Man?
ddf
mego joe View Post
You joke, but the Wachowski Brothers once wrote a Plastic Man movie script were he's an eco-terrorist.

"Hahahaha! Me am great hero for scaring Bizarros!" - Yellow Lantern, Sinestro of Space Sector 1482
Old March 29th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #102
mego joe
Geoffan

You joke, but the Wachowski Brothers once wrote a Plastic Man movie script were he's an eco-terrorist.
ddf
Bizarro #98 View Post
That would have been ridiculous.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old March 29th, 2012   avathar476 is offline   #103
avathar476
Vagabond

I'm so loving this. Glad that GJ is writing this story arc.

It feels good to be back!

" For every season there's a reason."
Old April 24th, 2012   Marvelman ver.02 is offline   #104
Marvelman ver.02
Neo Geoffan

Just wanted to confirm everything in the spoiler box above. Read the SHAZAM backup at the LCS over lunch (they don't mind, and I don't make a habit of doing that kind of thing), and there is no exaggeration at all in what GeraldKeefer says. In fact, it was even worse than he characterized it.

Billy is a complete d-bag; 100% unlikeable; Manipulative little brat. Sivana is indistinguishable from Luthor. Pathetic. Insulting. WRONG.
ddf
Guys, Geoff is abviously setting up a character arc for Billy. I think it's wrong to to jump on this without you giving it a chance to see where it goes.

Old April 24th, 2012   Amentep is offline   #105
Amentep

Guys, Geoff is abviously setting up a character arc for Billy. I think it's wrong to to jump on this without you giving it a chance to see where it goes.
ddf
Marvelman ver.02 View Post
Creating a dis-likable protagonist is a gamble; you have to hope that you can turn the audience to liking the character before the fact that the character is dis-likable turns the audience away.

I think it if fair to complain about the treatment of a character and to turn away if you think its wrongheaded - regardless of whether the character is "transformed" at some later date.

Buying a comic you don't like in the hopes it "turns around" is a hopeless game, IMO.

Old April 24th, 2012   TJLamb0518 is online now   #106
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

Creating a dis-likable protagonist is a gamble; you have to hope that you can turn the audience to liking the character before the fact that the character is dis-likable turns the audience away.

I think it if fair to complain about the treatment of a character and to turn away if you think its wrongheaded - regardless of whether the character is "transformed" at some later date.

Buying a comic you don't like in the hopes it "turns around" is a hopeless game, IMO.
ddf
Amentep View Post
And it sends a false message to the bean counters. If people keep buying what they don't like out of habit or in a hope that it'll turn around....the sales still count, so the people behind the scene think it's a success.

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old April 24th, 2012   thunderdude is offline   #107
thunderdude
Prince of Pizza!

I'm willing to give this a few more issues, but sales don't tell the full story here. People could just be buying it for Justice League. I want Shazam to be a success, but I'm not really sure about this version.

I love it when a plan comes together in the Multiverse!
Old April 25th, 2012   shazam69 is offline   #108
shazam69
Neo Geoffan

ddf
Marvelman ver.02 View Post
I agree, we have only seen 2 small stories. Geoff is setting things up. SUre, I would love for this to go faster, but I can see the setup and the need for it. Just give it some time. I think Billy eventually changes his attitude and becomes the Billy we all love, and that is not the whinny Billy, but the self assured kid that can get things done, but loves others too. I say lets give this some time and see where it goes. It is starting to get interesting.

Mike

BBBOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!
Old April 27th, 2012   clarkent1982 is offline   #109
clarkent1982*
Citizen

Read the Shazam feature. I can't even believe this is the same Geoff Johns that got me picking up comics again. It's almost like not even the same writer. I wonder if DC is using his name and a ghost writer at this point. Spoilers ahead if anyone wants to read them

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read

Dr Sivana is now an EXACT REPLICA of Lex Luthor. He's big and ripped and only wears glasses in 1 panel before taking them off. He's studying the 37 people who have been "abducted" by lightning. He says his family needs a magical cure and that science has failed him. He says it's all tied to the myth of Black Adam.'

No more Fawcett City! Billy lives in an orphanage in Philadelphia in the nuDC. And guess what? He's getting adopted by a family with 4 other kids! WOW DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING. At least in Flashpoint Captain Thunder was a cool name.

Oh yeah and Billy? A complete, little ****. He is completely ungrateful for the opportunity and has been in and out of foster homes since he is such a bad kid. Running out of foster homes to put him in they say. "The most unpleasant boy I know" says the foster home caretaker while Billy relishes in it. So we get angry, young Billy now.

And that's it. Some preview panels and an image of "Hoodie" Shazam. I don't know why they even are keeping Billy Batson and Dr. Sivana names. Just create a new character instead of ruining one.

I was willing to give this a chance but definitely not off to a good start. Gotta love DC changing everything you love about a character. Including the name.
ddf
GeraldKeefer View Post
As at Books A Million and read the issue and glad that I did and didn't waste my money. I totally hate this new character. NOTHING like what what the characters remotely like.

DC has untruly failed me.

Newsarama journalists ask these questions to Joe Q and Dan Buckley: Why place a $3.99 price tag for only 22 page of materiel?
Old May 7th, 2012   John Babos is offline   #110
John Babos
Neo Geoffan

The FCBD issue reveals a lot about the new Shazam lore. I thought the kids were going to be the only diverse components in the lore now we have an international cabal of wizards or gods in a Shazam pact replacing the Greek and Roman gods.

The good thing is that its seems Shazam wizardy is an integral part of the New 52. Seems like the Shazam "sponsors" as seen in FCBD have replaced The Quintessence?

Fun times ahead!

- John Babos

Follow me as BabosScribe on Twitter & Facebook.
Please check out my scribbles at the Comics Nexus too. :)
Old May 16th, 2012   Series5Ranger is offline   #111
Series5Ranger

The good thing is that its seems Shazam wizardy is an integral part of the New 52. Seems like the Shazam "sponsors" as seen in FCBD have replaced The Quintessence?

Fun times ahead!
ddf
John Babos View Post
It's a nod back to the old TV series with the Elders, who were basically the beings who gave Billy his powers

"His last thought is wry. Not bad for a dead man." Moon Knight Vol. 1 #1 (1980)
Old May 16th, 2012   Falloutboy is offline   #112
Falloutboy
Homesick at space camp

I found it an interesting read, but I just wanna smack Billy up.