The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old May 3rd, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Cap who?

Arrow Robinson discusses the changes to the Earth 2 landscape

From CBR: Robinson Leaves A Big Hole in "Earth 2"

Warning: Spoilers for the first issue are here.

Old May 3rd, 2012   greenlflash 2184 is offline   #2
greenlflash 2184
Master Geoffan

Looking forward to seeing Jay's origin, the first issue was my read of the week.

Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
Old May 3rd, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #3
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

A lot of GREAT comics came out this week...and yeah...this was my favorite too. I'm so surprised.

Old May 3rd, 2012   chasm is offline   #4
chasm
Master Geoffan

So the question is, will Hawkgirl be Sheira or Kendra?

Old May 4th, 2012   Alan is offline   #5
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

If he's going for the originals it has to be Shiera doesn't it?

Old May 6th, 2012   mmk123 is offline   #6
mmk123
Geoffan

well, I listened to the podcast last night and it is very interesting and informative. There was alot that James could not say but this is what I remember him saying

Potential Spoilers

-The 1st arc is 5 issues with some single issue stories and then the 2nd arc begins
-Wonder Woman was not the last Amazon and there will be another one around in a few issues (James was very excited about this character)
-Hawkgirl will be on the cover of #4 and both of the interviewers liked her look (he brought a copy of the cover for them to see)
-James was asked about Dr Fate-he said he liked the character alot but could not comment (he also could not comment on Ted Knight-Starman or Terry SLoane-Mr Terrific)
-speaking of Mr Terrific, the current one-Michael Holt-will travel to Earth 2 in #2 and due to the way he travelled there he will somehow change and will not be able to go back to Earth 1
-there was a question about the Quality Characters (Freedom Fighters) and he said that he to use them except for the Ray since he is on Earth 1.
-Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Robin were the only heroes on Earth 2 and Supes, Bats and WW have been around for about 9 years
-Catwoman is Robin/The Huntress's mother
-James does not like Power Girl's new costume
-a core group of heroes will be established and there would be other heroes that will be on Earth 2 but will not join the core group-James would not say how many heroes would establish "the core group"
-there will be stories that will be told about Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman before there final battle (and James did empasize that THEY ARE DEAD!!!!)
-his arcs aren't going to be very long. He said he feels that he made that mistake on his JLA run and that even though he is enjoying some of the new 52 books that alot of the first arcs ran too long
-Jack Knight-Starman is not a part of the new 52
-The Shade series will only be collected in a trade paperback, not a hardback due to sales

Old May 6th, 2012   mmk123 is offline   #7
mmk123
Geoffan

oh, a few other things

-James said he is already talking to Geoff Johns about a meeting between the two Earths
-Hawkman is his favorite character but he hates the current interpretation of him. He was given the Hawkman book but it was taken away from him
-in the He Man and the Masters of the Universe mini series he is writing, Skeletor will be much darker than he has ever been portrayed before
-he could not comment of any of the Star Spangled Kid's, Gimmix or Sanderson Hawkins

Old May 6th, 2012   Werehunter is offline   #8
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

well, I listened to the podcast last night and it is very interesting and informative. There was alot that James could not say but this is what I remember him saying

Potential Spoilers

-speaking of Mr Terrific, the current one-Michael Holt-will travel to Earth 2 in #2 and due to the way he travelled there he will somehow change and will not be able to go back to Earth 1
ddf
mmk123 View Post
Consider the quality of the Mr Terrific book, that can only be a good thing.

Old May 7th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #9
mego joe
Geoffan

I am so disgusted with DC 's approach to Earth 2 that there is nothing to post that will not be a complaint. I enjoyed the book in the moment, but as for what comes next I only want the return of the real Earth 2. I honestly don't want anything new, just a return to the old that honors DC's history. I'm sorry.

It's a shame that Swamp Thing can have his history intact, but DC's most storied characters have to be reinvented.

Push it forward don't reinvent. Aaargh!!!!!

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old May 7th, 2012   Lady Obie is offline   #10
Lady Obie
Supreme Geoffan

I am so disgusted with DC 's approach to Earth 2 that there is nothing to post that will not be a complaint. I enjoyed the book in the moment, but as for what comes next I only want the return of the real Earth 2. I honestly don't want anything new, just a return to the old that honors DC's history. I'm sorry.

It's a shame that Swamp Thing can have his history intact, but DC's most storied characters have to be reinvented.

Push it forward don't reinvent. Aaargh!!!!!
ddf
mego joe View Post
There only seem to be a handful of books and franchises that have kept some or all of their pre-relaunch histories intact post-relaunch.

Like you I rather enjoyed Earth 2 but would hesitate to call it one of the best comics I've ever read

Jade: I'll take care of it for you, Obie.

Atom: Obie!? You call a thing like that--OBIE??

-- All-Star Squadron #25
Old May 7th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #11
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

-Hawkman is his favorite character but he hates the current interpretation of him. He was given the Hawkman book but it was taken away from him
ddf
mmk123 View Post
THIS annoys the crap outta me. lol. REALLY? James writing Hawkman would have been awesome and what do we get instead? Some times I really don't understand the higher ups at DC. Hopefully James can use Hawkman in Earth 2.

Old May 7th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #12
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

THIS annoys the crap outta me. lol. REALLY? James writing Hawkman would have been awesome and what do we get instead? Some times I really don't understand the higher ups at DC. Hopefully James can use Hawkman in Earth 2.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
Reading Robinson's statement that you are responding to was just plain painful. My favorite character... could have been great, or AT LEAST READABLE... instead...

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 7th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #13
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Reading Robinson's statement that you are responding to was just plain painful. My favorite character... could have been great, or AT LEAST READABLE... instead...
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
lol. Yes readable would have been nice.

Old May 7th, 2012   mmk123 is offline   #14
mmk123
Geoffan

I dropped Savage Hawkman after 4 issues. I just did not want to bother with yet another Hawkman reboot.

Old May 7th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #15
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I dropped Savage Hawkman after 4 issues. I just did not want to bother with yet another Hawkman reboot.
ddf
mmk123 View Post
It was just plain awful, IMO. I was more than willing to deal with YET ANOTHER reboot of Hawkman, even though I thought he was in perfect shape after Johns & Robinson wrapped up their run on his ongoing, but YE GODS what a just plain awful comic THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN turned out to be, IMO.

I stuck with it through issue 5 because I just didn't want to give up hope. Since then, where comics are concerned, I have learned to give up hope.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 7th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #16
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

The thing with the current Hawkman book...it has nothing to do with the concept. It's just very hard to follow. The delivery is awful.
Last edited by jafabian; May 7th, 2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Quote refers to spam post.