The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old May 3rd, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Eat chocolate!

Lightbulb Avengers Assemble issue #3 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

• Avengers versus the Zodiac! But who is behind the Zodiac?

• PLUS! The reappearance of a team of characters you’ve been clamoring for!

Story by
Brian Michael Bendis
Art by
Mark Bagley
Cover by
Mark Bagley
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Cover Price:
$3.99
Release Date
Wed, May 9th, 2012
ddf

Easter spells out beauty, the rare beauty of new life.

~S.D. Gordon
Old June 7th, 2012   Matches is offline   #2
Matches
riff-raff

Ugh. Sorry, but just.... no. This started off okay but has tanked badly. I'm surprised to see something this shoddy from this creative team.

Most of the issue is a pointless fight scene between the Avengers and the Zodiac characters, none of whom have any personality at all. The Avengers don't even know why they're fighting. Before the fight starts we're treated to a double-page spread where the Avengers apparently stand around posing while the villains talk amongst themselves for a few minutes. It read like something from an overwritten Roy Thomas comic.

Iron Man eventually finds a clever way to shut down the villains' powers, and does so - so yay. But then Thanos drops from the sky to announce that he is the big reveal for the issue. No clue why Thanos would need to enlist the loser Zodiac villains to fight the Avengers.

I've pre-ordered this through #5 so I'm stuck with another couple of issues, but after that I'm done. This is a really poor comic.

You can find me at my blog or on twitter.
Old June 7th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #3
jafabian
Eat chocolate!

The script doesn't seem as....sophisiticated(?) as the current books. Almost like Marvel is catering the series to a different audience. Either younger or beginner bcause of the movie. I was liking the Zodiac as that I've been wanting them to return as a foe for the team for a long time but other than that not much else is grabbing me on this, except for maybe Bagley's art which I've always been a fan of.

~S.D. Gordon
Old June 7th, 2012   Matches is offline   #4
Matches
riff-raff

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe they are shooting a little younger than my old man demographic.

You can find me at my blog or on twitter.
Old June 7th, 2012   jafabian is offline   #5
jafabian
Eat chocolate!

That's what I'm guessing. It almost reads like DC's adaptations of their animated series and since it came out on the heels of the movie I figured this is their way of hooking that audience to their products.

~S.D. Gordon