The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 26th, 2012   Scott Mateo is offline   #1
Scott Mateo
Answer Man's Pal

Default “Gayness Is Built Into Batman” – Grant Morrison

...In Playboy

"See, that's not at all what I'm irritated about...I'm irritated that you're trying to be an internet 'tough guy' to me." - Jake1823
Old April 26th, 2012   Mackaybear is offline   #2
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I have indeed now heard everything....SIGH....

If Batman really was gay, that Utility Belt would be packed with way different things than it is now....

Where ever you go, there you are.
Old April 26th, 2012   Werehunter is offline   #3
Werehunter
Master Geoffan

Here's the entire quote about Batman, not just the part linked to.

“I got interested in the class element of Batman: He’s a rich man who beats up poor people. It’s quite a bizarre mission to go out at night dressed as a bat and punch the hell out of junkies. And then he goes home and lives in this mansion. There’s an aspirational quality to him—he’s an outlaw and he can buy anything. He has a new Batmobile every movie. He’s very plutonian in the sense that he’s wealthy and also in the sense that he’s sexually deviant. Gayness is built into Batman. I’m not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There’s just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he’s intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. I think that’s why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn’t care—he’s more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid.”
ddf
So not only is he saying Batman is gay, he's saying he's also a sexual deviant who lusts after Robin. Plus that he is a rich man who gets his jollies from beating up the poor. After reading that quote from him, I'm glad I decided against picking up his book when he took over Batman.

Old April 26th, 2012   chasm is offline   #4
chasm
Master Geoffan

I do like Grant Morrison's writing and I am not a follower of Batman books, but you have to wonder how editors would let someone who makes those types of comments anywhere near their property.

Also, I wonder if Morrison actually believes what he stated or if he's trying to say something outrageous to be shocking and draw eyeballs to his writing.

Old April 26th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #5
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I do like Grant Morrison's writing and I am not a follower of Batman books, but you have to wonder how editors would let someone who makes those types of comments anywhere near their property.

Also, I wonder if Morrison actually believes what he stated or if he's trying to say something outrageous to be shocking and draw eyeballs to his writing.
ddf
chasm View Post
I hope he doesn't really believe what he's saying, because I'd rather think of him as a publicity-whore than a moron.

The absence of a prominent female supporting character = "gayness"?
If he really believes that, then he is saying that Wertham was right...

No surprise that he breaks out the class warfare analysis of Batman, either. Some folks see everything through that prism, I suppose...

At least he's consistent. His comments about Wonder Woman suggest that the idea of an island of Amazons was a lesbian fantasy... Maybe it was, but I've never seen any reference to Marston actually claiming it to be so. Maybe Morrison spoke to the ghost of Marston while using the JLA to "practice magic"...

You would think that DC would not appreciate this. But, they might also think it's wonderful. If you think about it, making those kinds of statements in Playboy is like the perfect ad for DC to appeal to readers looking at pics of naked women.

"You feelin' a little pervy? Well, DC Comics might be the place for you. We swear, our books are full of deeply psychological erotica!"

Interesting.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old April 26th, 2012   Alan is offline   #6
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I can't believe anyone is surprised or shocked by the comment. It's Grant Morrison having fun in Playboy. Don't sweat it. It's the sort of conversation lots of people have probably had. And there is a very stong fetish element in comics. Overtly so in most indie books (flicked through a trade of Lady Death and Tarot last week and had a good chuckle), but the likes of Catwoman and Black Canary are Rubber Monthly cover girls in real life.

I would have thought DC would just be pleased that Morrison is getting coverage in a best selling magazine and you never know, he might pull a bit more of the pink dollar into DC's coffers.

So it's all good.

Old April 26th, 2012   Mackaybear is offline   #7
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

I can see it now.

One of the new wave books coming soon.

The Adventures of Bat-Perv and Robin.....

Old April 26th, 2012   Alan is offline   #8
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I can see it now.

One of the new wave books coming soon.

The Adventures of Bat-Perv and Robin.....
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
You didn't read Catwoman#1 then?

Old April 26th, 2012   Mackaybear is offline   #9
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

You didn't read Catwoman#1 then?
ddf
Alan View Post

No, I didn't and I'm not sure I ought to ask....

But then again, there is such a thing as Bisexuality......

Old April 26th, 2012   Alan is offline   #10
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

Well, it certainly started the new 52 with a bang....

Old April 26th, 2012   Mike Murphy is offline   #11
Mike Murphy
Neo Geoffan

I like Grant's writing but, if he is serious, he really does not get the character.

Old April 26th, 2012   mego joe is offline   #12
mego joe
Geoffan

Sorry I looked at this thread.

Rise from the ashes and blaze in everyday glory.- Rush[br]It was so much simpler before the Crisis. -Me
Old April 27th, 2012   Eric Q is offline   #13
Eric Q
THE Casanova Horseman

If Batman really was gay
ddf
Mackaybear View Post
"Obviously as a fictional character he’s intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay." I think he's inferring that the concept has aspects that can be found in common with the gay community.

he's saying he's also a sexual deviant who lusts after Robin.
ddf
"he’s more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid."

Plus that he is a rich man who gets his jollies from beating up the poor.
ddf
"He’s a rich man who beats up poor people."
Last edited by Eric Q; April 27th, 2012 at 02:46 AM.

Eric Q/Jake1823 2016

Will replace free speech w/fee speech. You can still give your 2 cents but you have to pay us $2 each time. U$A, U$A, U$A!
Old April 27th, 2012   irrelephantly is offline   #14
irrelephantly

... assuming he's being serious, you'd never realize that he has a half-decent grasp on the character based on that quote alone.

grant, i love you, but i think we're going to have to give our relationship a break.

Old April 27th, 2012   Astro@work is offline   #15
Astro@work
Slackerville Beer Gymnast

How dare Morrison say what every fanboy I've ever met has jokingly said about Batman! The nerve!

Just don't let the Comics Code Authority catch wind of this or we'll have to go back to that...since this whole idea is what got them started in the first place and why they had to create the 50's Batwoman.

"I slack, therefore I am". www.galaxyheroes.com
Old April 27th, 2012   Mackaybear is offline   #16
Mackaybear
Polar Bear Horseman

How dare Morrison say what every fanboy I've ever met has jokingly said about Batman! The nerve!

Just don't let the Comics Code Authority catch wind of this or we'll have to go back to that...since this whole idea is what got them started in the first place and why they had to create the 50's Batwoman.
ddf
Astro@work View Post
And don't forget the 60's gave us the image of Robin sliding down the Bat-pole....

It was all Robin's fault anyway, he went running around bare legged in tight shorts. Boy wonder was asking for it.....

Forget Lois-Clark-Lana. The really hot 50's and 60's love triangle was Robin-Batman-Catwoman......