The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 27th, 2012   Steve Chung is offline   #17
Steve Chung
Advanced Geoffan

My mother got me reading at an early age in 1974 through Dr. Seuss, DC, Marvel, and Mad Magazine, 100 Page Spectaculars, and Treasury Editions. I've cut back a bit, mostly back issues, and I hope to be able to continue reading comics till the end of my days.

"Free Steve Chung!"
Old April 27th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #18
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I never completely quit buying comics, but in '93 my parents retired and moved away, and I stayed behind and worked the kind of crappy jobs that a young person with no college degree (I didn't go to college until I was in my 30's) works. So, for a year or so, I had almost no extra money to spend on comics. The only things I kept up with were whatever Frank Miller or Keith Giffen were doing. It was made easier by the fact that I didn't like the looks of a lot of what DC or Marvel were doing around that time...

So, around the time Zero Hour was wrapping up, my money situation improved, and I was able to ease back into weekly comic store visits.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 9th, 2012   Penny Dreadful is offline   #19
Penny Dreadful
At times dark, never grim

I seriously considered dropping comics again...then I remembered there are a handful of Marvel titles I'm enjoying, so I'm sticking with it.

On a long, extended break from massive comic-book events.
Old May 9th, 2012   Hannah is offline   #20
Hannah*
Floyd Girl

I got out of comics due to family financial difficulties but after things started looking up I was able to dive back in and eventually buy a pretty massive collection fairly cheap at auction. Now I have more comics than I care to look at, lol.

`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Old May 9th, 2012   ADGood is offline   #21
ADGood
I meant it in a good way

I, too, never left once I started in earnest. Hell, I never even dropped DC (I just...you know...haven't picked it up in the last year. At all. But that's not the same as consciously dropping it, right?). Anyway, the quantity and content of what I've read has experienced a large degree of variation, but I've never been outright gone.

Looking over the responses, it seems like it might be comparatively rare for companies to coax back readers who have simply grown apart from comics. Were I an adviser to one of those companies, I would be tempted to tell them that, if their main concern is the bottom line, they should think about writing off older fans who are starting to drift away, and focus on coming up with whatever splashy gimmick they can to attract the new crop of tweens and teens. Maybe start everything over at #1 and ditch the fat characters. Unless they've got a movie coming up really soon; those franchises you should probably leave alone. ...What do you think? Sound business strategy?

Old May 10th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #22
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I, too, never left once I started in earnest. Hell, I never even dropped DC (I just...you know...haven't picked it up in the last year. At all. But that's not the same as consciously dropping it, right?). Anyway, the quantity and content of what I've read has experienced a large degree of variation, but I've never been outright gone.

Looking over the responses, it seems like it might be comparatively rare for companies to coax back readers who have simply grown apart from comics. Were I an adviser to one of those companies, I would be tempted to tell them that, if their main concern is the bottom line, they should think about writing off older fans who are starting to drift away, and focus on coming up with whatever splashy gimmick they can to attract the new crop of tweens and teens. Maybe start everything over at #1 and ditch the fat characters. Unless they've got a movie coming up really soon; those franchises you should probably leave alone. ...What do you think? Sound business strategy?
ddf
ADGood View Post
Ingenious!

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old May 10th, 2012   TJLamb0518 is offline   #23
TJLamb0518
Klinton Spilsbury 4Ever

So it was directly Geoff John's responsibility that I came back, so I owe him one!
ddf
Alan View Post
Geoff giveth and he taketh away......

Writing Reality Checks with my mouth that my body can't cash....

In new DCU, book drops you. - Yakov Didio
Old May 20th, 2012   Bobbsw is offline   #24
Bobbsw

I started reading comics in 1966, and except for three months in 1984 where I had no money I have never stopped.
(I did get caught up with the three months of books after a couple months.
Hmm, 1996-2012... Maybe I should get a hobby!)

In comic books and soap operas, Death is not always Fatal!