The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old April 23rd, 2012   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Cap who?

Arrow The Flash issue #8 Preview & Discussion

CBR PREVIEW

The Flash gets pulled into the Speed Force that gives him his super-speed powers…and he learns he's not alone in there! Introducing Turbine, a prisoner of the Speed Force who just wants out – even if it means trading places with The Flash!

Story by
Francis Manapul, Brian Buccellatto
Art by
Francis Manapul
Colors by
Brian Buccellatto
Cover by
Francis Manapul, Brian Buccellatto
Publisher
DC Comics
Cover Price:
$2.99
Release Date
Wed, April 25th, 2012
ddf

Old April 23rd, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #2
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

That looks great! This book is a really beauty to look at. So much fun. Can't wait to pick up my copy Wednesday.

Old April 24th, 2012   FlashEarthOne is offline   #3
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

Looks great... but hasn't it always since September?

Old April 24th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #4
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Looks great... but hasn't it always since September?
ddf
FlashEarthOne View Post
Yup. Book is real eye candy.

Old April 24th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #5
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Only thing that worries me is that comment from Turbine. I hope we don't get any of that source and engine of the speed force nonsense. This book is a lot of fun. Don't start messing it up fellas.

Old April 24th, 2012   FlashEarthOne is offline   #6
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

Only thing that worries me is that comment from Turbine. I hope we don't get any of that source and engine of the speed force nonsense. This book is a lot of fun. Don't start messing it up fellas.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
They said that their explanation of the Speed Force would be simple. The Source of the Speed Force explanation was anything but simple.

Old April 25th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #7
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

They said that their explanation of the Speed Force would be simple. The Source of the Speed Force explanation was anything but simple.
ddf
FlashEarthOne View Post
I agree 100%. Just Turbines comment seems like it might go in the Flash Rebirth direction. I still think the speed force concept shouldn't be explained too much. Let it be mysterious.

Old April 25th, 2012   Thirdflash is offline   #8
Thirdflash
Geoffan

Savitar 2.0 is awesome!

Question: when all those that your opinion differs from are gone, do you get lonely talking to yourself? I guess you wouldn't if you were Mob Rule.
Old April 25th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #9
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Savitar 2.0 is awesome!
ddf
Thirdflash View Post
lol. Was thinking the same thing. Should be fun.

Old April 25th, 2012   FlashEarthOne is offline   #10
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

lol. Was thinking the same thing. Should be fun.
ddf
Bagged & Boarded View Post
It is definitely a fun issue. Turbine is similar to Savitar in a few ways, but he really is a different type of character. I also liked their explanation of the Speed Force. It was both clear and vague.

Old April 25th, 2012   Simon DelMonte is offline   #11
Simon DelMonte
Diehard DCU & Mets Fan

Good art, good ideas, but so-so script. I keep saying this: the book needs either better editing or an established scriptwriter.

Simon DelMonte
Old April 25th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #12
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

I loved it. The book gets better and better. And I like the explanation of the speed force. Like FE1 said it is simple and yet vague. None of that engine nonsense. The art , as always is amazing, and the story is a lot of fun. This is the best Flash stories in years and probably the best Barry Allen stories period. I can’t wait to see where Francis and Brian go with this.

It’s funny….DC has tried to re-launch the book quite a few times…using Bilson/Demeo, Waid and then again Johns. All whom have history with the character and none of them really hit it with fans the last few years. But it took “unknown” writers to get the Flash back on track. Which kinda is a tradition because when Waid and Johns first made their Flash splash they weren’t “it” writers.

Anyway, I love this book and can’t wait for more.

Old April 27th, 2012   Heatwave the Rogue is offline   #13
Heatwave the Rogue
Barry Allen's #1 fan!

The Flash #8 By Francis Manapul & Brian Buccellato
REVIEW with SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!
Review by Heatwave the Rogue

I've quietly been enjoying the new Flash series. Manpul and Buccellato have done a great job keeping me interested in the Flash beyond Geoff Johns departure. Johns wrote a great Flash book (both Wally and Barry eras) and his writing style has always been top notch. I love his Aquaman book and GL remains a top draw for me. I've been reluctant to review this series too extensively for many reasons. One being that I often don't agree with many of the general comments on message boards regarding the Flash, and the other being that I've been generally happy and have not feeling the need to examine the series too closely. That said, I felt inspired to comment on this issue.

The Speed Force.

Honestly I can take it or leave it. When Barry was "dead" I thought maybe he should BE the Speed Force. When Johns declared Barry the "Engine" I was fine with that, but it didn't really make sense overall and felt that it wasn't thought out to the point where there was anywhere else to go with it? The Negative Speed Force is great idea in the same way that matter has anti-matter to contend with, so why not? All good stuff, but the Flash doesn't have to have a Speed Force to be interesting.

Manapul and Buccellato's SPEED FORCE.

In Flash #8, we get a new and different explanation that fits better long term in my opinion. SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
"The Speed Force is like a giant ball of energy that's always moving forward. But as it does, it creates excess energy that builds up and needs to be released." When the Flash uses his powers, he taps into that build-up energy. The Flash is in a sense, the "release valve" for the speed force.

Where this removes a bit of Barry's "King Flash" aspect from him. I understand that that aspect is probably no longer needed. Keep in mind that the other Flash characters don't exist on the same earth as this Flash (except for young Bart). There is no longer a Flash Family. That ship has sailed away and now it's just the hero, a young sidekick, and a lot of potential.

An updated and more relevant Flash.

Manapul and Buccellato have both done a great job updating this character and making him relevant to today's readers. For all intents and purposes, this book has become DC's version of an Ultimate Flash book. It's a retelling of the hero in a more modern and realistic setting. The only difference between the Flash book and a Marvel Ultimate book is that this is a main DC universe character reimagining and not an "Ultimate" character reimagination. Every aspect of the Flash is being updated for today's readers: His relationships given more depth, his costume adjusted, his villians reimagined and updated, his job given more realistic parameters, and the list goes on...

Turbine, aka Roscoe Hynes, is actually a reimagination of a classic Flash villian. And it's probably not the one you are thinking it is?! It's not Savitar. SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Roscoe Hynes is an updated Roscoe Dillan (aka THE TOP!). Let's face it, no kids (or adults for that matter) play with tops anymore. That's a 1950's concept that has died in the 21st century. To have a villian called The Top honors the original series, but doesn't translate to today's reading audience. Turbine is an excellent reimagining of the character and being that he's from 1944, it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up changing his name to the Top eventually. I'm less concerned that he be called the Top. I like the new name of Turbine better.

I look forward to read the Flash every month and this creative team is doing an amazing job carrying the torch that Johns that those that came before him lit. It is really a special time to be a Flash fan and we need to enjoy it while it lasts.

Next issue: We learn more about the Gorilla Grodd of the DCnU!

Grade: A
Art: A
Writing: A-

There's a Flash section here? Where is it? ;-)
Old April 27th, 2012   BarryAllenfan is offline   #14
BarryAllenfan*
Citizen

I always thought there was a very easy explanation for the speed force..when Barry ran his final race all the way to the beginning of time to stop the Monitor, this is when it was created. He ran faster than ever and literally turned into it. This would explain the Speedforce that affected everyone before and after Barry....but..well..the situation occured, I'm surprised they didn't use this expalnation

who says you can't get what you wish for-Barry Allen is the Flash again
Just one of Bash's Seven Samurai
Old April 27th, 2012   Heatwave the Rogue is offline   #15
Heatwave the Rogue
Barry Allen's #1 fan!

I always thought there was a very easy explanation for the speed force..when Barry ran his final race all the way to the beginning of time to stop the Monitor, this is when it was created. He ran faster than ever and literally turned into it. This would explain the Speedforce that affected everyone before and after Barry....but..well..the situation occured, I'm surprised they didn't use this expalnation
ddf
BarryAllenfan View Post
The only reason I can think of is ego. It was a fan created idea (a great one in my opinion) and DC's past writers and management wanted to create something of their own.

There's a Flash section here? Where is it? ;-)
Old April 27th, 2012   FlashEarthOne is offline   #16
FlashEarthOne
Geoffan

ddf
BarryAllenfan View Post
No one is really sure what the altered history of the DCnU is. What happened in COIE in this timeline? I'm not sure that this Barry Allen ever died in this history.