The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Video Games

Video Games woot! America's new favorite pasttime

Old August 5th, 2011   jafabian is offline   #1
jafabian
Eat chocolate!

Arrow The Walking Dead Video Game Preview

From CBR: First Look: "The Walking Dead" Video Game

Easter spells out beauty, the rare beauty of new life.

~S.D. Gordon
Old August 7th, 2011   Saturn Girl is offline   #2
Saturn Girl
Thought Criminal

That shot of the motel is very remniscent of the first level of the Dark Carnival campaign on Left 4 Dead 2, especially the position of the carport in front of the office and the short walls around the premise. Intentional homage, or just a reflection of that common 60's motel layout? L4d2 has lots of zombie shout-outs, l would love to see some L4D refs make it into this game, too!

I am the one who knocks.
Old April 25th, 2012   LastGuardian is offline   #3
LastGuardian
LastGuardian69 on PSN

Default The Walking Dead

A demo dropped yesterday for The Walking Dead game. It's a taste of the first of 5 episodes, the other 4 still to be released. The visuals remind me of Borderlands in that everything has 3d shape but wrapped in what looks like hand-drawn/painted skins. So it aligns itself a little more with comic books with that.
Gameplay isn't just straightforward over-the-shoulder run-&-gun though. Movement through the environment with left stick with a d-pad shaped 'crosshair' for interaction controlled by right stick. An eye shows, you press the coinciding d-pad button to look. A hand shows, you grab. Best comparison I can make is Heavy Rain or boss fights in Resident Evil or God Of War games, where you must press a button as it appears onscreen.
Conversations run similar as you have a short counter of time to decide how to respond. And responses affect what NPCs think of you, by extent affecting story elements. Not sure to what length, but a fun package. Far too short though. And I have to wonder how much there is to each episode. Still, $5 per is reasonable, with a 'Season Pass' getting you all 5 for $20.
Worth a free download.

△○╳□
long live play
Old April 26th, 2012   LastGuardian is offline   #4
LastGuardian
LastGuardian69 on PSN

Found a vid with both a trailer & interview:

up at noon

Trailer starts at about 9:00 with a Robert Kirkman intro, then an interview following a minute after with Greg Whitta, one of the writers of the episodes.

△○╳□
long live play
Old May 3rd, 2012   Devlyn16 is offline   #5
Devlyn16
CODA

Hmm Based on what you described I like the concept of a timer for answers on conversations. In real conversations "things" happen if you wait too long to respond. this added urgency sounds as though it would bring an added urgency to the fun. Though I hope the conversation options are Big enough to read. I find some GGaming companies assume everyone has a 52 inch TV in their living room. IMO text should be readable on a 32 inch TV from 8 feet away

Is it wrong to Quote the Devil if what he is saying is true?
Old May 3rd, 2012   LastGuardian is offline   #6
LastGuardian
LastGuardian69 on PSN

I bought & downloaded it last night. Played through just past the point at which the demo takes place.

Conversation responses are about an inch high on my 46"(white font against dark background).

Try the free demo though & see if it satisfies.

△○╳□
long live play
Old May 6th, 2012   LastGuardian is offline   #7
LastGuardian
LastGuardian69 on PSN

Played through the rest of that first episode & though I didn't time myself it probably did come out to around 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It's kinda like $4 for an interactive movie. Part of the deal is a PS3 theme, with WD icons, a couple sound fx & multiple wallpapers for your PS3. All of those from the game as opposed to the show. They look more like comic art pieces. Screenshots & wallpapers, as well as some basic info over here.

△○╳□
long live play
Old July 2nd, 2012   LastGuardian is offline   #8
LastGuardian
LastGuardian69 on PSN

Episode 2: Starved for Help is up on PSN. Just finished my playthrough at 2 1/2 hours. Man, they do not take it easy on you with your choices. Brutal at times. But that does make it more emotionally engaging, and by extension, satisfying.

△○╳□
long live play
Old December 1st, 2012   jafabian is offline   #9
jafabian
Eat chocolate!

Norman Reedus & Michael Rooker Confirmed for The Walking Dead Video Game

Easter spells out beauty, the rare beauty of new life.

~S.D. Gordon