The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors

Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors Thoughts, reviews, interview links and rumors

Old April 24th, 2012   Bagged & Boarded is offline   #1
Bagged & Boarded
Make Mine Marvel

Default Questions for people who have made the switch to digital...

I love my ipad and buy some digital comics. But almost always the ones I buy are ones that I already own the physical copies of. I just like to have some favorites on the ipad for travel. Can't help it. Always been a double dipper with comics and now digital comics have given me the chance to be a triple dipper.

I wanted to gage others though. If you have made the switch to digital and buy all of your monthlies that way now do you buy any collected editions anymore? Do you have favorites that you like to own a nice hardcover or trade paperback for?

When it comes to your back issues are you buying them digitally as well and then selling your physical copies?

Or do you only buy digitally?

Just want to get a feel to how people on the boards are enjoying their comics...

Old April 24th, 2012   Alan is offline   #2
Alan
Supreme Geoffan

I'm tending to use the iPad for experimenting. I buy 20-30 comics a week and at the moment will carry on largely like that. But I am certainly using the free stuff on Comixology and the three page previews to check stuff out, so that lots of the indie things I've missed are now on my wants list after reading a free first issue. I also keep tabs of the special offers so I bought the first 16 issues of The Sixth Gun after reading #1 free, the rest were half price and I'm now buying the regular book.

I've bought the odd other cheap run (Return To Wonderland) or GN (Jeff Lemire's Lost Dogs or Dini's Mad Love) but they are all things I haven't read before.

But it is really opening up my eyes to things I otherwise wouldn't have the time or money to take a gamble on.

I don't see any point in buying stuff twice though

Old April 24th, 2012   Matches is offline   #3
Matches
stepping aside

I just get the digital versions. Part of the reason for switching was to avoid accumulating stuff. Defeats the purpose if I then buy the issues.

I buy trades of stuff I want in a more permanent format. My preference these days is for thicker collections though, so most of the stuff I get is older material that's now being packaged in more of a compendium format aka the Marvel Ultimate Collections.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old April 24th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #4
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I try to keep my physical pull list to less than 5 books a month. Cost isn't really an issue (although the fact that digital is cheaper sure is nice). The primary reason for my switch is like matches I got sick of accumulating a short box of comics each year (I know some of you are more than that).

The other plus side is I find I re-read a lot more books on the Ipad as I don't have to search for them and pull them out of the box and then out of their bag and board. It is way easier to just open a book up and read it immediately.

One other plus is that you don't ever have to spend money before you need to. I don't have to outlay cash on wednesday to maybe read the book a week or two later. I buy it when I want to read it. And then if I want the next issue I just buy that too. No hunting for back issues. Now of course they have no collectible value, so it matters what you are trying to get out of the hobby.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old April 25th, 2012   LionKnight is offline   #5
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

I try to keep my physical pull list to less than 5 books a month. Cost isn't really an issue (although the fact that digital is cheaper sure is nice). The primary reason for my switch is like matches I got sick of accumulating a short box of comics each year (I know some of you are more than that).

The other plus side is I find I re-read a lot more books on the Ipad as I don't have to search for them and pull them out of the box and then out of their bag and board. It is way easier to just open a book up and read it immediately.

One other plus is that you don't ever have to spend money before you need to. I don't have to outlay cash on wednesday to maybe read the book a week or two later. I buy it when I want to read it. And then if I want the next issue I just buy that too. No hunting for back issues. Now of course they have no collectible value, so it matters what you are trying to get out of the hobby.
ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
ditto.

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old May 2nd, 2012   freelancer is offline   #6
freelancer
Advanced Geoffan

I'm still buying my mutant titles at the LCD but everything else I'm slowly switching to digital.

Fate cannot be avoided. One day you awake and the universe has conspired to make of you something more. And that day? It is now.~FF
Old May 2nd, 2012   hoyatables is offline   #7
hoyatables
Mild-Mannered Attorney

For new issues, I also made the full switch to digital. I suspect that I *may* buy the occasional hardcover collection of a truly great story or series. But really, I only did that on occasion before, and I expect I'll only do it rarely now.

For back issues, it depends. If I already had a run going, I tend to still look for the floppies (though there's very little left that I need). The price point and convenience of digital is tough to beat -- I tend to look for 99 c sales, however, when I choose to stock up.

Also double/triple dipping on certain stories when the opportunity presents itself. Like the idea of being able to bring classic stories on trips with me.

"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid