The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Aquaman

Old March 8th, 2012   imarriedsatanII is offline   #17
imarriedsatanII
Horseman of the Calypso

Yeah, Aquaman is, IMO, one of the few books DC got right. I look forward to reading it each month. And Mego Joe, I agree with you regarding this book being light on words. I can get thru an issue in like 5 minutes.
Also glad to hear about Mera retaining exclusivity with her power set.

"Something profound" - Me
Old March 12th, 2012   E-MAC is offline   #18
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

Count me in on the Aquaman rocks bandwagon. I just recently picked up the first 6 issues and was blown away by it. While i've been extra hard on Johns ever since GL volume 4 ended, I love what he's doing in this book. And i'll be buying it on a monthly basis from now until he leaves, this is seriously one of the best books i've read in a long time.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".
Old March 14th, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #19
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I just couldn't get all the way into it. 4 issues of setup so Aquaman and Mera could stop a bunch of evil piranha with a cave-in? Aquaman incessantly portrayed as a joke to the people whose lives, world, and universe he's helped to save time and time again? A comic that takes me 5 minutes or less to read each month? Not for me.

This book was one of the least awful comics in the Nu52, but by issue 5 I realized I'd rather re-read almost any Aquaman comic published in the past. I'd rather pick up the Erik Larsen run that I dropped in between Peter David's stellar run and Dan Jurgens very solid and enjoyable run.

Jut my opinion, but... meh.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"
Old March 14th, 2012   Mark MacMillan is offline   #20
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

i honestly believe Morrison could've made something interesting happen regardless of the start point DC serviced him with.

i also believe the inflated order numbers are a result of the renumbering. the fact the comic is unreadable is a testament to that. one could only have gone up from Grounded.
ddf
superfriend View Post
Well, in all fairness, Morrison's current Action run is based off of a pitch him and Waid made to DC during the late 90's-early 00's (Waid's been geekin' out about it and providing the source material that Morrison's been using/reincorporating on his Twitter account)

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old March 22nd, 2012   married guy is offline   #21
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

I dropped Aquaman shortly after it became 'Conan Underwater'.

Loved David's, Jurgens' and Pfieffer's runs and was bummed with the change in direction.

This relaunch has been great. Aquaman is once more at the bottom of my reading list every month. (best for last)

Geoff Johns is doing a wonderful job with Arthur & Mera. Hell, he gave us Aquadog!! What more could you want??

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old March 22nd, 2012   married guy is offline   #22
married guy
The 3 Legged Horseman

I'd rather pick up the Erik Larsen run that I dropped in between Peter David's stellar run and Dan Jurgens very solid and enjoyable run.

Jut my opinion, but... meh.
ddf
Mr. Wrong View Post
That's a big statement!! Erik Larsen's run is pretty much universally loathed.
It is nice to see someone other than myself enjoyed Jurgens' take though.

'My name is Wally West. I'm the Flash!'
I'm in a very abusive relationship with DC, and I just keep coming back for more. - Fastest
Old March 22nd, 2012   Mr. Wrong is offline   #23
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

That's a big statement!! Erik Larsen's run is pretty much universally loathed.
It is nice to see someone other than myself enjoyed Jurgens' take though.
ddf
married guy View Post
Jurgens' run was probably my favorite thing that he's ever written. I thought it was a great balance of superhero action and the fantasy elements that Peter David amplified during his run.

I never read a single issue of Larsen's run, but I gotta have my Aquaman fix, and I'd rather pay $2 a piece for comics that I can't read from cover to cover in the time it takes me to pee.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"