The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > The Comic Shop: Greg Rucka > Greg's Novels

Greg's Novels Perfect Dark, Queen & Country, Kodiak, Patriot Acts and more

Old August 25th, 2011   Peter2.0 is offline   #1
Peter2.0

Default Alpha Preview

Now that I checked out the Mulholland Books preview of "Alpha" http://www.mulhollandbooks.com/cc/alpha, a couple of questions came up:

1. Is Jad a shortened version of a longer name? If not, what is the origin of our main character's name?

2. I got the impression from the excerpt that Bell was ex-Special Forces, unless I'm mistaken. So will he be working special missions on a plausible deniability basis?

Those questions aside, I'm looking forward to see where the story goes.

Old August 25th, 2011   Danny Perkins is offline   #2
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Now that I checked out the Mulholland Books preview of "Alpha" http://www.mulhollandbooks.com/cc/alpha, a couple of questions came up:

1. Is Jad a shortened version of a longer name? If not, what is the origin of our main character's name?

2. I got the impression from the excerpt that Bell was ex-Special Forces, unless I'm mistaken. So will he be working special missions on a plausible deniability basis?

Those questions aside, I'm looking forward to see where the story goes.
ddf
Peter2.0 View Post
Greg, I love the cover art!

I didn't see a release date. Is that known yet?

Book rocks btw. You guys are going to love it.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old August 26th, 2011   Danny Perkins is offline   #3
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

I would actually strongly recommend that none of you read this preview unless you have a box of tissues nearby.

Plus it will make you very unhappy that you can't read more.

If you weren't expecting this to be good, then you need to go and read a bunch of Greg Rucka comics. - MattDiCarlo
Old August 28th, 2011   Jared465 is offline   #4
Jared465
Neo Geoffan

I would actually strongly recommend that none of you read this preview unless you have a box of tissues nearby.

Plus it will make you very unhappy that you can't read more.
ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
yeah, i am going to hold off. but man, i also totally dig that cover. its about time he had graphic artist nail one for him. Some have been just terrible. Remember Walking Dead? Ugh. Both HC and SC were just awful...........

Old August 29th, 2011   Danny Perkins is offline   #5
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

yeah, i am going to hold off. but man, i also totally dig that cover. its about time he had graphic artist nail one for him. Some have been just terrible. Remember Walking Dead? Ugh. Both HC and SC were just awful...........
ddf
Jared465 View Post
The Last Run had a nice cover.

I've also always been fond of Keeper.

But I see your point.

Old September 8th, 2011   Jared465 is offline   #6
Jared465
Neo Geoffan

The Last Run had a nice cover.

I've also always been fond of Keeper.

But I see your point.
ddf
Danny Perkins View Post
I always did like the trade dress of the original "er" books. and i'm sure its not that the designer wasn't talented. that stuff always reaks of corporate meddling.

Old November 11th, 2011   Ken Liner is offline   #7
Ken Liner
White Pawn 743 - ONLINE

I just listened to Greg's latest "Debrief" (part 1) on the Word Balloon podcast. In it, he mentioned that Alpha should be published in May 2012.

Old November 13th, 2011   manwithnoname is offline   #8
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

I just listened to Greg's latest "Debrief" (part 1) on the Word Balloon podcast. In it, he mentioned that Alpha should be published in May 2012.
ddf
Ken Liner View Post
listening to it right now. yes, he does mention may 22, 2012!!!!!

i've been jonesing for some rucka prose.

Old November 15th, 2011   Ken Liner is offline   #9
Ken Liner
White Pawn 743 - ONLINE

Here is the listing at Amazon

Old December 19th, 2011   manwithnoname is offline   #10
manwithnoname
Doom reigns supreme!

i've pre-ordered Alpha from Amazon. my sister's in-laws got me a $50 Amazon giftcard couple weeks ago!

salivating for the release date!

Old December 30th, 2011   jthuconn is offline   #11
jthuconn

The UK cover is GREAT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Greg-R...5279189&sr=8-1

Side note- I finally got a the last first edition AK book I needed so I'm reading them for the first time. Got through Finder and Keeper so far. LOVE them.

Old January 4th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #12
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

The UK cover is GREAT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Greg-R...5279189&sr=8-1

Side note- I finally got a the last first edition AK book I needed so I'm reading them for the first time. Got through Finder and Keeper so far. LOVE them.
ddf
jthuconn View Post
I recently rounded out my set as well. Glad to hear you like them. I find Keeper to be the most dated (obviously so) but it still holds up pretty well.

Finder is one of my absolute favorites.

Keep us posted as you go. I'd love to see your take as you read them for the first time. Walking Dead is my favorite Rucka novel to date though Alpha
is moving up the charts.

Old May 10th, 2012   Matches is offline   #13
Matches
stepping aside

Got an email yesterday from Amazon advertising this one - still on track to be released in a few weeks.

Kindle price is $11.99 for those who are interested. I'll definitely be checking it out.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old May 10th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #14
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Got an email yesterday from Amazon advertising this one - still on track to be released in a few weeks.

Kindle price is $11.99 for those who are interested. I'll definitely be checking it out.
ddf
Matches View Post
I would recommend it to those considering. I thought it was very good. Maybe one of Greg's better books.

I'd also highly recommend it for fan's of Greg's comics who are looking to get into Greg's novels but don't want to deal with existing series. Its a whole new group of characters.

My wife and I couldn't put it down.

Have you read Greg's novels before Matches? I would guess yes.

Old May 10th, 2012   Matches is offline   #15
Matches
stepping aside

Yea I've read most of them. Loved the Kodiak and Q&C books but I think I'm ready for a new series. Fistful of Rain is actually my favorite of Greg's novels.

@allstarmatches on Twitter.
Old May 11th, 2012   Danny Perkins is offline   #16
Danny Perkins
Snake Baby Food-Pawn 812

Yea I've read most of them. Loved the Kodiak and Q&C books but I think I'm ready for a new series. Fistful of Rain is actually my favorite of Greg's novels.
ddf
Matches View Post
Fistful is one of the few I've only read once so I don't remember it well. It is on my list of things to get back to. Man is time hard to come by.

Alpha is more like the later Kodiak books and Q&C Novels meshed together. So if you liked those I imagine you'll enjoy it as well.

It is a quick read because it moves fast and also, you wont want to put it down.

However, I may be a little biased on this one so my impartiality is certainly in question.