The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics

DC Comics Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Opal City, Smallville and other points East.

Old June 25th, 2008   E-MAC is offline   #49
E-MAC
Advanced Geoffan

I'm trying to figure out how many people defended Amazon's Attack and Countdown, when you could pretty much tell early on both were going nowhere. People really seem defensive about DC events from Countdown to DOTNG, everything is just wait it gets better they have a plan. Then when all hell breaks loose and many angry fans lash out at DC these same people are no where to be found. But hey I guess it really doesn't matter if you spent tons of money getting every issue of Countdown only to be severly disapointed and feeling ripped off after all it's just comics right?. Keep drinking the kool-aid people, because DC has dropped the ball too many times for them to keep getting the benefit of the doubt FC is a mess and it will fail the writting has been on the wall for a while now. But if i'm wrong i'll be the first one to make a thread apologizing to Dan and Grant for my mistake and praise their good judgement. But if FC is officially another failure like Countdown and Amazon's Attack will any of these defenders man up and do the same I doubt it because sure as hell neither will Dan or Grant.

"If at first you don't succeed, try Kyle again!".
Old June 25th, 2008   Jake1823 is offline   #50
Jake1823
The Unbanned Horseman

Blah to the blah with a bit more blah.

No one has to apologize for liking something, even if it's critically and financially a failure.

Where is everybody?
Old June 25th, 2008   SageShinigami is offline   #51
SageShinigami
Master Geoffan

I'm trying to figure out how many people defended Amazon's Attack and Countdown, when you could pretty much tell early on both were going nowhere. People really seem defensive about DC events from Countdown to DOTNG, everything is just wait it gets better they have a plan. Then when all hell breaks loose and many angry fans lash out at DC these same people are no where to be found. But hey I guess it really doesn't matter if you spent tons of money getting every issue of Countdown only to be severly disapointed and feeling ripped off after all it's just comics right?. Keep drinking the kool-aid people, because DC has dropped the ball too many times for them to keep getting the benefit of the doubt FC is a mess and it will fail the writting has been on the wall for a while now. But if i'm wrong i'll be the first one to make a thread apologizing to Dan and Grant for my mistake and praise their good judgement. But if FC is officially another failure like Countdown and Amazon's Attack will any of these defenders man up and do the same I doubt it because sure as hell neither will Dan or Grant.
ddf
E-MAC View Post

Dude, NOBODY defended Amazons Attack. (Well, they may have here, I wasn't around then. But wow would that be insane.) It was awful. First tie-in to have a NEGATIVE effect on books.

Countdown I defended until the last ten issues, not because I thought DC had a plan but because I thought the story was okay. But once they all amazingly went to Apokolips, I lost interest, the story fell apart, and I stopped defending it. Now I don't even defend it even when I can. DC screwed up. It was somewhat necessary, but it could've been done better and that's all there is to it.

Anyway, I liked issue 1 of FC. I'm liking what I see in the preview of issue 2. Can't wait for the full issue. And the solicits for 3 and 4 have me seriously hyped. If you don't like it; fine, whatever.

Old June 25th, 2008   bobcat zoidberg is offline   #52
bobcat zoidberg
12th level intellect

ddf
E-MAC View Post
What makes something "officially" a failure I wonder? Because you didn't like them? What about all of those people that spent tons of money on all the Countdown issues and the tie-ins and actually enjoyed them? Hard for you to believe this, I know, but there are different tastes out there.

I bought DoTNG and loved it. I bought FC #1 and loved it, too. Maybe they don't sync up perfectly, but in my book, they were "officially" a success because I got what I want out of all the comics I buy: great stories and great art. I mean, they're not notarized or anything, so maybe I shouldn't use the word "officially".

I think Jake sums it up best:

No one has to apologize for liking something, even if it's critically and financially a failure.
ddf
Jake1823 View Post
Except for Superbaby stories.
Last edited by bobcat zoidberg; June 25th, 2008 at 03:19 AM. Reason: taking a shot at my brother

"The link between diet and diabetes is a white myth, like Larry Bird, and Colorado"
Old June 25th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #53
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

looks good bring it on!

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old June 25th, 2008   Hellstone is offline   #54
Hellstone
Geoffan

I'm trying to figure out how many people defended Amazon's Attack and Countdown
ddf
E-MAC View Post
Those stunk. Nothing to defend there.

FC is a mess and it will fail
ddf
E-MAC View Post
I don't think so. What I've seen of FC isn't even remotely near the low level of the above mentioned titles.

This preview looks good. Really good. Delicious, even.

Can't wait to get my hands on the issue.

/ola

No longer gone fishin'.
Old June 25th, 2008   Jeff Shabazz is offline   #55
Jeff Shabazz
persona non grata

ddf
E-MAC View Post
You know I'm accustomed to vociferously hurling criticism towards anything I don't like (because I'm f'n sweet what do somethin), but there's no good reason to give readers that enjoy the stuff I don't grief. That's just bad netiquette big E.

Now, as a person that didn't like issue #1, there is a whole lot in these five pages to get excited about as a comics reader - especially if you're into DC lore. Good times man.

Old June 25th, 2008   RJ Squires is offline   #56
RJ Squires
persona non grata

Would any of the nay-sayers like some salt now or later for their words?

Old June 25th, 2008   General grievous is offline   #57
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

Would any of the nay-sayers like some salt now or later for their words?
ddf
RJ Squires View Post
just curious what you mean?

I loved Final Crisis #1 and can't wait for #2. are you saying that the people who did not like issue 1 should feel different now that issue 2 is out/or something different happens in this preview?

just curious

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old June 25th, 2008   Atom is offline   #58
Atom
Gone. Gone. Gone.

I'm trying to figure out how many people defended Amazon's Attack and Countdown...
ddf
E-MAC View Post
Amazon's Attack - bad premise. bad execution. bad timing. just... bad.

Countdown - interesting concept. bad execution. meh timing. too many eclectic ideas and concepts melded into one gigantic pile. Ended up being rather so-so by the end. One key redeeming quality was that Ray Palmer was in it.

Webmaster of the Former Unofficial Homepage of the Atom - all good things must come to an end...
Old June 25th, 2008   ConnorFan is offline   #59
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

Yeah well, the Alpha Lanterns are the Space Cops for the Space Cops. So yeah, he has to take that crap from it. He can't really fight it, after all...it would just drain the energy from his ring Manhunter style and he'd be boned.
ddf
SageShinigami View Post

Ah okay, I didn't know Alpha Lanterns could drain regular GL rings and now I'm a bit confused, are Alpha Lanterns like Internal Affairs or are they just superior officers? What I mean is their primary role to police the other GL's and if so does that mean they are investigating Hal and John or is this more like a police captain getting his or her hands dirty because TPTB want a higher up working the beat on something this important?

Old June 25th, 2008   LastSun is offline   #60
LastSun
Master Geoffan

Preview looks really good. . .think I will be going at lunch for it . . .looking forward to it too much to wait until I get my DCBS shipment on Friday.

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old June 25th, 2008   LastSun is offline   #61
LastSun
Master Geoffan

I suspect that must be it.

J'onn was killed because that was the Human Flame's hearts' desire, that was pretty clear in issue #1.

The Secret Society barely wanted anything to do with the Human Flame, he was only there on Libra's invitation so Libra could prove a point to the group.Yes they did, several of them, to contain the scene and investigate.
ddf
Brian LaBelle View Post

I think this is showing that the heroes do not realize what is going on, they are assuming this is retribution for the Blockbuster thing and are totally oblivious of the fact that Libra is making a power grab.

If this was a last minute addition to the story I think it plays into it very well.

Old June 25th, 2008   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #62
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

Ah okay, I didn't know Alpha Lanterns could drain regular GL rings and now I'm a bit confused, are Alpha Lanterns like Internal Affairs or are they just superior officers? What I mean is their primary role to police the other GL's and if so does that mean they are investigating Hal and John or is this more like a police captain getting his or her hands dirty because TPTB want a higher up working the beat on something this important?
ddf
ConnorFan View Post
I think the problem with making the Alpha Lantern / Internal Affairs comparison is that people look at RL IA and see disparities between their role and the role of the Fictional Alpha Lanterns. I think the comparison on a high level is a good one..but when it gets into the details..some differences exist.

There aren't may appearances by the Alpha Lanterns..so I think what they can and cannot do has to refer to whats going on in the books.

So far..I haven't seen any thing in FC that contradicts what Geoff has done...it merely contradicts what real IA officers are empowered to do.

I hope that makes sense.

You ought to stop making assumptions and thinking the worst about people you don't know, and situations you aren't in a position to understand

-EVS
Old June 25th, 2008   LastSun is offline   #63
LastSun
Master Geoffan

Ryan,
You have to understand.... People determine what they want to based on the Preview. Regardless if is only one quarter of the book.
ddf
RJ Squires View Post
And this is more like 12% of the story only, so there is a lot more that is going to be happening in the book.

Old June 25th, 2008   ConnorFan is offline   #64
ConnorFan
aka Alex Violette

I think the problem with making the Alpha Lantern / Internal Affairs comparison is that people look at RL IA and see disparities between their role and the role of the Fictional Alpha Lanterns. I think the comparison on a high level is a good one..but when it gets into the details..some differences exist.

There aren't may appearances by the Alpha Lanterns..so I think what they can and cannot do has to refer to whats going on in the books.

So far..I haven't seen any thing in FC that contradicts what Geoff has done...it merely contradicts what real IA officers are empowered to do.

I hope that makes sense.
ddf
Jeffrey Neary View Post
I was more wondering about the meaning I should get from there being an alpha lantern being there. Should I be thinking Hal and John might be in trouble, or this is a big case because they assigned an alpha lantern? Or both or neither...

Since I honestly don't know what an Alpha lantern is really about, I was thinking I might be missing some greater importance to it showing up.