The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old June 29th, 2007   sui_generis is offline   #337
sui_generis

Default my guesses for where this is heading...

In Blackest Day, In Brightest Night...

"Good morning. I'm herrrrreeeee." - Pee Wee Herman

Geoff
ddf
Geoff Johns View Post

Geoff and Ethan, this was the best single issue of the year so far. Congrats.

Based on his return and events in Crisis 1 and 2, I'm guessing that we'll find out the Anti-Monitor hitched a ride out of his last appearance inside Superboy-prime's body.

This would explains three things, among others:

1) Superboy-prime's personality change;

2) Superboy-prime's (previously silly) ability to disrupt reality by punching dimensional walls (the A-M could at one time after all, EAT positive universes); and

3) Superboy-prime coming back out of the speed-force with the Anti-monitor's armor. Even if you buy some peoples' explanations that he "designed it himself to collect solar energy," the question is, WHY would he ever make it look like that? And where did he get the knowledge to do so.

Yeah, I think the anti-monitor's been inside him all along, since the end of the first Crisis.

I really have to commend the Sinestro Corps team and the rest of DC if this is the way they play it. Well done!

Can't wait for the conclusion...I have no idea how our heroes are going to beat this group of ultra-powerful baddies -- unless perhaps Kyle and/or Superboy-Prime are turned against the others.

I'm also anxious to see what the other colors and emotions are for the other Corps. Are the Darkstars involved? Effigy? The Amazons' purple healing ray?! (okay, mostly kidding on the last one...) No wait...don't tell me!

Thanks again for a great story!

Old June 29th, 2007   E2Brutus is offline   #338
E2Brutus
The Obsidian Horseman

I only have one gripe.

I want more!!
ddf
Jeffrey Neary View Post
QFT!

Old June 29th, 2007   carmine007 is offline   #339
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

I think I know who may have to stop Superboy Prime.....

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

Sodam Yat.

~KL~
ddf
The Kid Lantern View Post

hmm I never even thought of that. makes alot of sense though.

Also I too liked the "skinny chemo with skulls" sinestro corps guy. Probably my favorite design (I just wished the group shot had some easter eggs like evil Elvis sinestro corps guy)

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions
Old June 29th, 2007   carmine007 is offline   #340
carmine007
Advanced Geoffan

they are going to have to change superboy primes name. First of all they cant use the name superboy (I guess) and plus having the name Prime without bringing up the fact that its our actual universe and that he's a real person traped in a comicbbook is sorta weird. Why go out of your way by calling him superboy prime but never bring up what Earth Prime was?

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions
Old June 29th, 2007   Sideshow is offline   #341
Sideshow

I think a great deal of this Kyle thing is being blown way out of proportion. I don't think Kyle needs to spend 10 years as Parallax for Kyle fans "to feel what Hal fans have felt," nor do I think that will solve anything. An eye for an eye was a few millenia ago. I also don't think that this is what it is. Kyle becoming Parallax is a beat in this story, not a lasting change. Hell, Hal became Parallax again right in the middle of Rebirth, did he not? And Guy, John, and Kilowog became evil. What makes you think this is anything more than that?

I think GL fans are somewhat damaged goods in the scheme of things. Everyone's so afraid that their #1 GL is going to somehow get the shaft and they'll suffer 10+ years of his absence/mistreatment at the hands of some crazy misguided editor. It's not events that have kept this Hal/Kyle bickering alive, it's insecurity. People need to understand that's not what GL is about. It seems quite ironic that GL fans are utterly consumed by fear that it's almost laughable. The universe is proving to be big enough for everyone and when they're being shown every character is shown in a great light. These guys are bigger than the biggest heroes of the DCU. Their powers are cooler, their problems are larger, and their battles are epic. What's the problem, here?

Without leaving my house, I know the whole universe.
Old June 29th, 2007   Lukecash is offline   #342
Lukecash
Singing Cowboy

I think this is an excellent opportunity for Kyle's fans to truly understand how Hal's fans felt after ET.
ddf
GrendelPrime View Post
You know, as a Kyle fan, I find that comment troubling. It seems like you want a "payback" for what happen to Hal. In fact, one of the favorites taunts to us was "Wait till it happens to Kyle" So we are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The difference being this isn't going to last nearly as long, and the reader already understands that this ISN'T Kyle going bad 'for real' (i.e. he's possessed, not conciously going bad the way the MEANT for Hal in the 90's.)
ddf
I never saw Hal as going "bad" I saw him as going mad, driven insane by tragic events. For us who hadn't read his book for years, loosing your city should affect a hero greatly. And it hit us deeper because we knew that once he was a great hero.

But that wasn't acceptable that a character goes bad. So they had him die heroicly-making up for any "sins".

That wan't good enough. So they brought him back from the dead (In Geoff Johns FIRST major work for DC) and made him a part of the most powerful hero in the DC universe Spectre.

Not good enough.

So there was only one option: Make everything that happened not Hals fault and bring him back. So I lost the great tragic hero who did terrible things and was trying to redeem himself.-It wasn't his fault.

Let's face it since Hal's been back, he's been selling books BIG TIME. More than Kyle. So DC knows that the problem with Hal wasn't the character-but the writer.

I had hoped that after ReBirth that the Kylefan/Halfan 'war' would be over.
Not so sadly.
Still not enough understanding, I guess.
Again, I hope after this, maybe things will get better. Guess I'm an optimist, but hey, thats one of the points of Green Lantern, isn't it? Looking to the light?
ddf
I think there is an uncertianty on behalf of Kyle fans. DC has been killing of popular characters left and right. Not the "Icons" mind you, but the fan-favorites. His numbers are not anywhere near Hals in terms of fans.

We were promised that he would have a place in the DC universe-and yet he seems to be shuffled around as if they don't know what to do with him. I think more than anyting Kyle fans have been waiting for him to be a part of the GLC and have a few "Silver Age" moments of life where he kicks *** and takes name.

Klye had always paid dearly for whatever power the Ring gave him. A few years of "Hal" like happy go lucky adventures are what we are looking for.

Old June 29th, 2007   talesofthecorpse is offline   #343
talesofthecorpse

Isn't this standard story procedure for heroes? Build them up as great, give them adversity that actually CHALLENGES them, and show them coming out the other side heroic?
ddf
GrendelPrime View Post
it only works if they over come them , not someone else coming into the story and over coming those problems for the character

Of course HAL takes down Sinestro. Sinestro is Hal's nemisis, his opposite, not Kyles'. You didn't see Hal take down Nero either. Or Wally West taking down the Joker.
As for Parallax, it took them ALL to imprison it. All Hal did was finally seperate Parallax from himself, and with the help of the Spectre at that.
ddf
1) reread rebirth you missed the ending

2) if Sinestro is Hal's nemisis this means once again kyle wont overcome anything he will need Hal jorden to come save the day. Which means all that happened was kyle was nocked down a peg .

If you don't/can't express your complaint, then it can't be taken seriously.
I think it was so good that I'm not going to comment further.
See where that get's us? nowhere.

Kyle didn't gain mental powers, he gained physical ones. So why is it so odd that his instinct would be to STRIKE at the tear in space to try to close it?

For some. Just like life. Not everyone likes you.
And if they did, it would get to be boring reading reeeeeal soon, if you ask me.
Sounds like Hal and Kyle will have something in common. It could make them closer friends.

Kyle is a focus of big line shaping events at DC. How are 'monthy adventures' going to fit in with that?
You don't see Jason Todd, or Donna Troy getting a monthly either for the very same reason.
ddf
Kyle has been the focus of events for the last 3 years and when each event is finished Kyle a) hasn't grown b) was knocked down in status / there to make someone look better c) useless in the story d) just thrown into another event

Happens in virually EVERY superhero book ALL the time.
Who would read a book where the hero comes in, defeats the villian by the second page?
Hal's first arc he got beat down by the Manhunters.
Then by Mogul's son.
Then by superpowerless russians.
I don't see anyone saying Geoff's got a mad-on and is dragging Hal through the mud. Ya see, what I mean?
ddf
Yes show me the panel in one of those storys where Hal was crying and then became evil . I want to see that one.

I have no problem with kyle being defeated but being defeated by something that was beaten into us as something he could defeat in rebirth is just friggen silly .

Kyle's been getting beat down by life for years.
Girlfriend killed because he accepted being GL.
Kyle's next love (Donna Troy) killed because of superheroing.
Best friend/assistant nearly beat to death because of prejudice, causes Kyle to lose faith in humanity to the point he wants to leave earth.
Kyle loses next girlfriend (Jade) due to duties as GL.
Kyle is led to believe he's lost his mother due to being GL by Major Force.
Kyle last love (Jade) killed due to superheroing.
Kyle's mom killed due to him being GL.
Sounds like this has been building up in him for YEARS, in my opinion.

Kyle would be afraid of ANYONE dying because of him. Not just people HE loved. Kyle isn't self-centered that way.
ddf
Kyle wouldn't just lie down and die . Kyle would have kept fighting . If its a crow bar to the back of Hal as paralax , if its pushing a gl tomb onto hal as paralax or fighting sinestro in half dead state saving GA . Or hey even mistakingly giving Major Force his ring and still laying into him with whatever he could find near by .

This thing that Geoff wrote isn't kyle . its not how kyle acts at all . That is whats Insulting to kyle fans . Just in the way that ET was insulting to hal fans .

Old June 29th, 2007   imnosuperman is offline   #344
imnosuperman
Master Geoffan

I have a feeling Parallex will be getting expelled shortly...Kyle's been tied to Countdown, and plus, Ron's hopefully hinted at another mini/ongoing next year once Countdown is done with him.

And I have a question, why is Kyle in green armor? It's not like he's absorbed the power of the CPB like Hal had done, and we saw Sinestro remove his, uh, "Starheart"...so shouldn't Parallex be his own color?

And for the love of god Ethan, stop drawing the Jim Lee logo and use the Banks one! That one is much cooler.
ddf
Ion2814 View Post
He's in green armor because Parallax is mocking the Oans, kinda like "I've got your Ultimate Lantern! What now b*tches?!" But in a more evil/insect voice.

Will Work For Comics

Like RPing? Then check this forum out: http://z13.invisionfree.com/DC_The_New_Heroes
Old June 29th, 2007   talesofthecorpse is offline   #345
talesofthecorpse

I think this is an excellent opportunity for Kyle's fans to truly understand how Hal's fans felt after ET.
The difference being this isn't going to last nearly as long, and the reader already understands that this ISN'T Kyle going bad 'for real' (i.e. he's possessed, not conciously going bad the way the MEANT for Hal in the 90's.)

I had hoped that after ReBirth that the Kylefan/Halfan 'war' would be over.
Not so sadly.
Still not enough understanding, I guess.
Again, I hope after this, maybe things will get better. Guess I'm an optimist, but hey, thats one of the points of Green Lantern, isn't it? Looking to the light?
ddf
Lol your proving me right. Oh this is a great chance for kyle fans to get dumped on and have their character dragged through the mud so they can feel as bad as hal fans felt over a decade ago .

I mean wtf is the logic in that . Yea one set of fans was screwed but hey lets not lear nfrom that , lets screw another set of fans that had nothing to do with the original story .

I wasn't a kyle fan during ET because there was no kyle . But kyle came after ET and I became a fan. I don't need to learn how it feels to be a Hal fan . There isn't a need to because I know what its like not being able to read my fav characters. I'm a 90s fan . There isn't much left at dc for me .

I don't see how this will end any war you speak of , if anything it will just make kyle fans resent hal / geoff / Didio even more so .

Old June 29th, 2007   Human Bong is offline   #346
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

Where's the dumping on the fans.......

A character is shown 'mind controlled' in a single panel, how is this disrespectful to fans when it's the first step in a storyline. We've already been told this continues into GL 21-26 (I think) and a few GL Corps issues. I bet it will all be resolved (awesomely) by the end of the storyline in GL 26. It's the start of a storyline, lets try to enjoy the ride, just don't stick anything out the window.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old June 29th, 2007   talesofthecorpse is offline   #347
talesofthecorpse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where's the dumping on the fans.

A character is shown 'mind controlled' in a single panel, how this disrespectful to fans when it's the first step in a storyline. We've already been told this continues into GL 21-26 (I think) and a few GL Corps issues. I bet it will all be resolved (awesomely) by the end of the storyline in GL 26.
ddf
The dumping is the character not acting in character and willing become infected by paralax and willingly become evil .

Personaly if i found out who killed my mother i would go off the wall and kick and claw trying to get to the guy and kill him. I wouldn't join up with him .

I wouldn't have minded them holding down kyle and shoving paralax into him some how , its the willingness to become paralax that doesn't sit right to me , esp when we have seen him resist it many times before.
Last edited by talesofthecorpse; June 29th, 2007 at 09:15 PM.

Old June 29th, 2007   LionKnight is offline   #348
LionKnight
Bloc Fighter!

My guess:

Jack T. Chance will come in at the end and save the day. YOWSA!

One fist of iron, the other of steel
If the right one don't getcha, then the left one will
Old June 29th, 2007   Human Bong is offline   #349
Human Bong
Pay Attention 2 Me

The dumping is the character not acting in character and willing become infected by paralax and willingly become evil .
Personaly if i found out who killed my mother i would go off the wall and kick and claw trying to get to the guy and kill him. I wouldn't join up with him .
I wouldn't have minded them holding down kyle and shoving paralax into him some how , its the willingness to become paralax that doesn't sit right to me , esp when we have seen him resist it many times before.
ddf
talesofthecorpse View Post

I interpreted it completely differently. Someone just found out their mother was actually murdered, only a few days after thinking their mother died of natural causes. Sure, they'd be angry, but for a tiny bit of time before that they'd be in shock over the big bomb that was just dropped. Those few seconds were all it would take (I'd think) for Parallax to take control. I didn't see it as Kyle giving up at all, I saw it as him having no time to respond to anything (even emotionally). He didn't walk in willingly, he even told the thing to back away, it appeared to me that he was being pulled towards the creature.

I just really enjoyed the story and I'm excited for what's coming up after these revelations. I started as a Kyle GL fan in the 90s, and I'm still a fan now, but I freely admit that Geoff made me a bigger Hal fan thru Day of Judgement and Rebirth. Different strokes for different folks.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old June 29th, 2007   TheRay is offline   #350
TheRay
Supreme Geoffan

ddf
He willingly became infected by Parallax? Did we read the same comic?
Looks to me like Kyle got the emotional crap beat out of him with all the terrible mentionings of losing Alex and his mother. And on top of that how his mother was lost. He was caught at an extremely weak point mentally in which that was the only way Parallax took hold. To me that shows great strength of character that it took that much of a emotional beating for Kyle to fall prey to something like Parallax. And not only that, but Kyle "floated" towards Parallax without any power, which just shows me he was pretty much "shoved" in that direction. I think this was well in his character, and would've gone down with just about any "human" character.

Now, I'm not going to try and compare comics to real life, but considering many times that fiction reflects real life, when you lose someone close to you, like a parent, to circumstances out of your control, the initial feelings aren't of revenge or anger, they're almost always of despair, depression, and disbelief.

Perhaps I'm biased though, I lost my father 6 months ago in a car accident. The cause of the car accident? 4 teenagers screwing around. I'm just looking at this from my perspective at this point in my life.

http://www.facebook.com/daniel.penland
Xbox Live ID: TrumpetDan
Playstation Network ID: TheRay3
Steam: TrumpetDan
Old June 29th, 2007   Dan Loayza is offline   #351
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

ddf
How is being emotionally broken, "willingness"?

#HEEL
Old June 29th, 2007   TheRay is offline   #352
TheRay
Supreme Geoffan

Sorry, shouldn't have brought my private life into the discussion. That was unfair of me and I apologize.

Still, I think it's fair to say that the emotions you most often go through after losing a close loved one are disbelief, depression, and despair.

http://www.facebook.com/daniel.penland
Xbox Live ID: TrumpetDan
Playstation Network ID: TheRay3
Steam: TrumpetDan