The Comic Bloc Forums

Go Back   The Comic Bloc Forums > General Talk > DC Comics > Green Lantern

Old June 29th, 2007   Erik Sternberger is offline   #321
Erik Sternberger
Apathetic Revolutionary

My guess:

"If I can't have my universe, no one can have their universe."

I like this corn bread so much, I want to take it behind a middle school and get it pregnant.
Old June 29th, 2007   Ion2814 is offline   #322
Ion2814
Neo Geoffan

But in the Ion series the Guardians told Kyle that they had 'seeded' themselves in him so that he could re-create them if something like ET ever happened again.
ddf
GrendelPrime View Post
They were probably talking about the space whale inside him.

Old June 29th, 2007   Thrillho is offline   #323
Thrillho
Master Geoffan

No need to show Ts&As on every page.
ddf
DC-reader View Post
Nope, just in the backup story.

"You must want another story, is that it?" Yeah that must be it, "we" are hanging around the half-naked chick with the centerfold body because of her storytelling abilities.

(Don't take this as a complaint, Geoff and Dave -- I'm not saying you were going overboard, not at all. A little well-placed hot girl art isn't a bad thing.)

Old June 29th, 2007   General grievous is offline   #324
General grievous
Uber Geoffan

I wanna see the Trade Federation get involved soon,

not the star wars guys!!

DC must have their own Trade federation in the multiverse somewhere.

"There is a Grant, Morrison be thy name!"
Old June 29th, 2007   The Kid Lantern is offline   #325
The Kid Lantern
They call me Mason....

I think a lot of people think of this because when Kyle previously used the name Ion he was a lot more powerful. So now that he is using the Ion name people are thinking of things on that level even though as you said he is just the next evolution of a GL now. So even though he is more powerful then most GLs he is not omnipotent again.
ddf
LastSun View Post
Alan Scott is one of the most powerful beings on Earth due to wielding the Starheart energies, and Kyle has that AND the ring's powers flowing through him. I hate to say this, but I hope Ion/Kyle doesn't play a similar role in the GLU as Alan does in the JSA. Which is hardly any face time unless somebody's getting mind controlled or possesed by some space bug. I'd say Kyle's one of the most powerful beings in the DCU, and I hope his days as Ion are not numbered. Space whale or no, I wanted to see an Ion ongoing based on what Marz laid down in the first half of the Ion maxi.

I wonder, since Kyle absorbed his ring or whatever [not sure exactly if the scene in Ion was real or made up by Mogo] if he also has a link to the AI of the rings? Or a pass to view the book of Oa maybe?

~KL~

I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world....
Old June 29th, 2007   LastSun is offline   #326
LastSun
Master Geoffan

Alan Scott is one of the most powerful beings on Earth due to wielding the Starheart energies, and Kyle has that AND the ring's powers flowing through him. I hate to say this, but I hope Ion/Kyle doesn't play a similar role in the GLU as Alan does in the JSA. Which is hardly any face time unless somebody's getting mind controlled or possesed by some space bug. I'd say Kyle's one of the most powerful beings in the DCU, and I hope his days as Ion are not numbered. Space whale or no, I wanted to see an Ion ongoing based on what Marz laid down in the first half of the Ion maxi
ddf
The Kid Lantern View Post
I am not saying he is not extremely powerful. Just that he is not though that he was at when he was orinally calling himself Ion. Even with the power of the starheart and his internalized powers he was bound to fall to the odds he was facing.

It looks great! The fat one balances the two skinny ones.

Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?
Old June 29th, 2007   GrendelPrime is offline   #327
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

I take offense to this .

Perhaps its you who is short sighted in thinking this is anything more than to knock kyle down another peg or two ? Personaly as I posted previously this isn't one issue , its been 3 years of this stuff happening. If you look closely they build kyle up a bit and then knock him down.
ddf
talesofthecorpse View Post
Isn't this standard story procedure for heroes? Build them up as great, give them adversity that actually CHALLENGES them, and show them coming out the other side heroic?

1) Rebirth , Build him up but ultimately it takes hal to beat sinestro and paralax
ddf
Of course HAL takes down Sinestro. Sinestro is Hal's nemisis, his opposite, not Kyles'. You didn't see Hal take down Nero either. Or Wally West taking down the Joker.
As for Parallax, it took them ALL to imprison it. All Hal did was finally seperate Parallax from himself, and with the help of the Spectre at that.

2) Ran/thangar war .... well honestly this is just so bad I'm not going to comment further
ddf
If you don't/can't express your complaint, then it can't be taken seriously.
I think it was so good that I'm not going to comment further.
See where that get's us? nowhere.

3) Ran /thangar special .... He gets new stronger powers but ...

4) IC kyle has a plan and he has new stronger powers everyone is going to follow him as he leads ... but his plan amounts to hey lets just hit him and see what happens oh btw Firestorm (brand new character) is going to end up being the important one with the real way to end the threat
ddf
Kyle didn't gain mental powers, he gained physical ones. So why is it so odd that his instinct would be to STRIKE at the tear in space to try to close it?

5) GL corps mini . Kyle is the torch bearer , the guardians and other gls respect him but

6) Sinestro corps ... Kyle is now evil and from interviews posted above it seems like number 3 and 5 is no longer valid .
ddf
For some. Just like life. Not everyone likes you.
And if they did, it would get to be boring reading reeeeeal soon, if you ask me.
Sounds like Hal and Kyle will have something in common. It could make them closer friends.

Steping past that , kyle still has no title to call his own , he has been bounced around from event to event since hal came back while slowly seeing his cast of supporting characters destroyed .
ddf
Kyle is a focus of big line shaping events at DC. How are 'monthy adventures' going to fit in with that?
You don't see Jason Todd, or Donna Troy getting a monthly either for the very same reason.

You say short sighted. I look at the direction Geoff has sent kyle and I think I have a pretty good picture . Yea its cool he fought almost all of the Sinestro corps by him self for a few panels but in the end he was brought down ...
ddf
Happens in virually EVERY superhero book ALL the time.
Who would read a book where the hero comes in, defeats the villian by the second page?
Hal's first arc he got beat down by the Manhunters.
Then by Mogul's son.
Then by superpowerless russians.
I don't see anyone saying Geoff's got a mad-on and is dragging Hal through the mud. Ya see, what I mean?

...and once brought down he was turned evil in the course of a few panels. At least in the retcon hals was battered down over years by paralax's connection with his ring .
ddf
Kyle's been getting beat down by life for years.
Girlfriend killed because he accepted being GL.
Kyle's next love (Donna Troy) killed because of superheroing.
Best friend/assistant nearly beat to death because of prejudice, causes Kyle to lose faith in humanity to the point he wants to leave earth.
Kyle loses next girlfriend (Jade) due to duties as GL.
Kyle is led to believe he's lost his mother due to being GL by Major Force.
Kyle last love (Jade) killed due to superheroing.
Kyle's mom killed due to him being GL.
Sounds like this has been building up in him for YEARS, in my opinion.

Kyle is threatened by the death of his loved ones which is who exactly ? Radu ? He is the only one of kyle's supporting characters that has shown up in years . Terry has not been heard from in 3 years . Who is he affraid of loosing ?
ddf
Kyle would be afraid of ANYONE dying because of him. Not just people HE loved. Kyle isn't self-centered that way.

Do the jig!
Old June 29th, 2007   Mark MacMillan is offline   #328
Mark MacMillan
Destroyer of Worlds

My guess:

ddf
Erik Sternberger View Post
Hmm... I was thinking, that since the Anti-Monitor wanted the power of the Multiverse (leaving only the Antimatter Universe remaining) in CoIE, that his goals are probably the same now.

Also, if you remember, at the end of IC, SBP was trying to blow up Oa (the center of the DCU) to cause a "Big Bang" effect in order to create a new universe where he would be the only hero.

So what I think is happening, is the Anti-Monitor wants to destroy the Multiverse, leaving only the Antimatter Universe, and is offering Sinestro to keep it in order, Parallax to keep it in fear, and SBP the opportunity to be it's hero/champion.

Galactus ain't got $#!& on me!

"Gangsta Rap MADE me do it" - Ice Cube
Old June 29th, 2007   RonFarrell is offline   #329
RonFarrell
Geoffan

Awesome book. Kudos to all.

"Superhero comics aren't about rules. They're about flying." - Mark Waid
Old June 29th, 2007   Dan Loayza is offline   #330
Dan Loayza
Whiteside Pawn

My guess:

ddf
Erik Sternberger View Post
Hmm... I was thinking, that since the Anti-Monitor wanted the power of the Multiverse (leaving only the Antimatter Universe remaining) in CoIE, that his goals are probably the same now.

Also, if you remember, at the end of IC, SBP was trying to blow up Oa (the center of the DCU) to cause a "Big Bang" effect in order to create a new universe where he would be the only hero.

So what I think is happening, is the Anti-Monitor wants to destroy the Multiverse, leaving only the Antimatter Universe, and is offering Sinestro to keep it in order, Parallax to keep it in fear, and SBP the opportunity to be it's hero/champion.
ddf
Mark MacMillan View Post
Good theories. It could also be a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation.

#HEEL
Old June 29th, 2007   Jeffrey Neary is offline   #331
Jeffrey Neary
I love it!!!

Just got my shipment from DCBS and just spent the last hour reading only this book.

Wow.

I'm just beside myself with how entertaining it was. With the reveal of Ion. The return of Parallax...and others.

The structure of the Sinestro Corps.

So many questions answered. So many raised. Details provided that link things that I never considered (just as rebirth did).

I only have one gripe.

I want more!!

Old June 29th, 2007   GrendelPrime is offline   #332
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

....I'm going with hal being the star of this .
ddf
Hal BARELY did anything in this special, yet you don't see 'Hal fans' complaining because it was a good story, and thats what they want MOST of all.

I remember when Hal was turned evil for kyle and john was made a darkstar and guy was made warrior , everyone complained that they were doing this to make Kyle the star.

But ever since Rebirth , I feel this is what they are doing for Hal. Kyle has a name change and is no longer a green lantern.
ddf
Not true.
They go WAAAAAAY out of their way to state that he IS a Green Lantern DESPITE the singular name (Ion) and FURTHER attach him by stating, in words, that he is the next 'evolution' of Green Lantern by the Guardians.
However, this IS a case of Kyle having his cake AND eating it too.
He gets to STILL be part of the Green Lantern group, BUT also gets to retain the paradigm that was his signature-the ONLY one, with new powers he doesn't quite understand yet, and no guidance (this is the same Kyle that MOST Kyle fans say was what attracted them to the character).
I find it strange that the complaint is that they made Kyle what Kyle's fans liked best.

Do the jig!
Old June 29th, 2007   John Hays is offline   #333
John Hays
Lovin life!

Um.....dumb question I know, but did anyone (Geoff) explain why ....

SPOILER. Highlight below text to read
Superboy-Prime would be working with or for the guy (Anti-Monitor) who wiped out his entire universe, which he wanted back so desperately that it unhinged him in IC? And please, not just a lame "he's crazy" cop-out. It seems VERY out of place. IMO.

ddf
TJLamb0518 View Post
Well, given that the reveal was on the last page, it's not like there was really any room for further exposition regarding said last page. So, yeah, "wait and see"

"What we've got here is ... failure to communicate." - Cool Hand Luke

3 time consecutive Comicbloc College Basketball Tournament Champion!
Old June 29th, 2007   GrendelPrime is offline   #334
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

Why don't we wait until this thing runs its course and assess what happened to Kyle then.
ddf
Ian Larsen View Post
I think this is an excellent opportunity for Kyle's fans to truly understand how Hal's fans felt after ET.
The difference being this isn't going to last nearly as long, and the reader already understands that this ISN'T Kyle going bad 'for real' (i.e. he's possessed, not conciously going bad the way the MEANT for Hal in the 90's.)

I had hoped that after ReBirth that the Kylefan/Halfan 'war' would be over.
Not so sadly.
Still not enough understanding, I guess.
Again, I hope after this, maybe things will get better. Guess I'm an optimist, but hey, thats one of the points of Green Lantern, isn't it? Looking to the light?

Do the jig!
Old June 29th, 2007   GrendelPrime is offline   #335
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

2.) Geoff's revision of Ion as being an entity similiar to Parallax, but benign (and looks lika a whale wih wings).
ddf
Torch Bearer View Post
I find the 'whale' designation that many are giving it strange.
I thought it looked much more like some aquatic dinosaur, giving it a more ancient feel than a modern whale.

3.) The interaction between the earth Lanterns.
ddf
Torch Bearer View Post
That did rule. The cafeteria scene was one of the best bits in ANY Green Lanternish comic for years.
Love it when they're together, and how well Geoff gets and expresses that they have different individual personalities.

Do the jig!
Old June 29th, 2007   GrendelPrime is offline   #336
GrendelPrime
Geoffan

that was such a hot scene
ddf
Chris Hansbrough View Post

You have got something wrong with you, sir......and I like it.
Please post more double-entredyendo's along this line more often.

Do the jig!