View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2016   Mr. Wrong is offline   #3
Mr. Wrong
Supreme Geoffan

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

However, and I may be the exception and not the rule, the New 52 did something that I wouldn't have expected: By causing me to break off from following their characters, some of which I had followed through thick and thin (Hawkman, the Creeper, Aquaman, Capt. Marvel, Dr. Fate, etc.), I realized that I was fine without them. In fact, I ended up realizing that I was kinda burned out on capes 'n' tights comics in general; ESPECIALLY ones that exist in shared universes with frequent crossovers and references to events outside of a given title's main storylines.

I may be an anomaly in this regard, but unless DC broke out the hard nostalgia stuff - like a visual return to the 1982 style guide, lots of one-and-done stories, way less decompressed storytelling, genuinely all-ages content, and a re-commitment to keeping their prices down in the $2.99-$3.50 range, I just don't see diving back in. Especially when I'm enjoying titles from other publishers that I would have to drop to free up the money.

They *could* rope me back in with some non-spandex genre stuff, if done right (and if sufficiently cordoned off from their big in-universe shenanigans).
Especially Sword & Sorcery, Weird War, and/or Weird Western.

"HEY, KENT! YOU'VE GOT YOUR BIB ON BACKWARDS!"