View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2006   Chris D. is offline   #40
Chris D.
The Mogolicious Horseman

Well, that's what I'm saying, but one of the things you have to take into consideration is that there are simply more males than females, which, in itself is a hgue problem. I have no problem with killing off any of these characters if we had an equal number of viable replacements. 1 Korugarian woman in a major cast of 6 just doesn't cut it. You need 3 of 6 to be equal.

Another thing that you have to take into account is recovery rate -- Who is still active?

I've never been fond of the fridge method for either side because it doesn't address these concerns.

Yes, indvidual deaths are useful to examine and analyze for symbolism (and that Fridge had amazing Feminist symbolism, as does Jade's death) but if you're arguing the franchise as a whole, there's larger things at work.
ddf
Ragnell

You have to understand that there will always be more males than females. It's the nature of the industry, which is probably about 90-10 male/female readers and creators. That's giving females extra percentage points. DC and Marvel are businesses, if there was a huge female following, they'd go after that market, there isn't. That's why most major characters are male. That's just the reality. Considering that fact, I think as a whole they go above and beyond portraying females positively in comics.

If you want to take in account recovery rate then only 2 female GL's have died. Katma and Jade. Alex was a character created to die. No different than Abin Sur, only she was female so it can spark a reaction of "sexism" or that it was "misogynistic". Marz could have portrayed her negatively, as a ditz or something else, but she was made to be actually more mature than Kyle and iin a better light. Also despite her gruesome demise she was strong and never gave Kyle up. Any points like that are not even thought of bc it's easy to look at the surface and cry foul.

Arisia was never suposed to have "died' in Beau's run, it's just the book got cancelled so her comeback never took place. Even Guy died and was gone for awhile.

So is it tough as a female comics fan just because there are more male leads? I'm sure it is. But to call things sexist and misogynistic gets a little out of control sometimes. Esepcially for the GL franchise in which one main death really blankets more than half a century of stories in a title in which females were actually portrayed in a better light than in other books.