The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Geoff Johns Talks Rewriting IC #4 @ WIZARD UNIVERSE (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32413)

4PointOh August 8th, 2006 12:43 PM

Geoff Johns Talks Rewriting IC #4 @ WIZARD UNIVERSE

Enjoy!

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazi.../001293477.cfm

TJLamb0518 August 8th, 2006 12:49 PM

After reading that first draft, it seems like IC #4 went from being a full out snuff film to just being Faces of Death.

I'm hardly squeamish, but really....isn't this a bit excessive?

Bob Francis August 8th, 2006 12:52 PM

Interesting... Very very interesting.

John Hays August 8th, 2006 12:53 PM

Haha, I love how Geoff writes the sound effects as SFX: FWOOSH! :p

Teen Lantern#2 August 8th, 2006 12:54 PM

This really shows why Geoff is one of th top writers right now.

Can1 August 8th, 2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLamb0518
After reading that first draft, it seems like IC #4 went from being a full out snuff film to just being Faces of Death.

I'm hardly squeamish, but really....isn't this a bit excessive?

Isn't this where someone usually says .. kill away?

Matches August 8th, 2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can1
Isn't this where someone usually says .. kill away?

TJ's got a point, though. The first draft was even more gruesome than what we actually got. I agree with Geoff that SBP's actions (particularly the "not anymore" line) didn't feel right the first time around.

4PointOh August 8th, 2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teen Lantern#2
This really shows why Geoff is one of th top writers right now.

Does it really? How so?

Can1 August 8th, 2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matches
TJ's got a point, though. The first draft was even more gruesome than what we actually got. I agree with Geoff that SBP's actions (particularly the "not anymore" line) didn't feel right the first time around.

I think SBP reaction there was enormous to the story .. because it read more like confusion and frustration than just straight out remorse ... if it was simply remorese the story would have probably stopped dead at that point for me

Geoff Johns August 8th, 2006 01:04 PM

I really enjoyed writing this one. Of course the scene is controversial - people die in horrible ways. But it's certainly not a snuff film. It's a tragic moment.

Geoff

Teen Lantern#2 August 8th, 2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4PointOh
Does it really? How so?

It shows how much he strives to put excellence into every issue and every little detail. He put two week sinto two pages, which I thought showed his care towards the characters.

Geoff Johns August 8th, 2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teen Lantern#2
It shows how much he strives to put excellence into every issue and every little detail. He put two week sinto two pages, which I thought showed his care towards the characters.

Thanks, dude.

:)

Geoff

Can1 August 8th, 2006 01:12 PM

Quick .... someone check to see if TeenLantern and Geoff are coming out of the same address :D

Infernorhythm August 8th, 2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
I really enjoyed writing this one. Of course the scene is controversial - people die in horrible ways. But it's certainly not a snuff film. It's a tragic moment.

Geoff

At least Red Star lived...

Great scene by the way. Snuff films have nothing on you.;)

Saturn Girl August 8th, 2006 01:22 PM

Geoff, I really enjoyed your column and your insights into the writing process. I like hearing how much thought you put into Superboy Prime's motivation and state of mind and thought it all came off very well in the finished product. Thanks so much for sharing this kind of background info with the fans - it's just as much fun as a DVD commentary track! :)

RedSoxFan August 8th, 2006 01:35 PM

I love reading about the processes, the script development, and what it takes to make a great story. Geoff is simply the best.