The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Back Issues: Geoff Johns (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Booster Gold #9 complaint! (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65251)

K-DoG7p7 October 25th, 2008 05:06 PM

Booster Gold #9 complaint!

Asking for help from the Norse God .... in Jotunheimen? :wtf:

Jotunheimen is the home of the Jotun (Giants), the enemies of the Norse gods:o
I am very disappointed in Geoff and Katz for his MAJOR booboo :p

PS: the DCU needs more Norse gods.. and i have nothing better to do :p

K-DoG7p7 December 1st, 2008 03:05 PM

300 something views and NO replies?

Steve Danger December 1st, 2008 03:11 PM

Doesn't really matter. I mean, Thor was always said to have red hair and beard, yet Marvel's Thor is beardless and has golden blond hair. Maybe in the DCU Norse mythology the giants walked along side the gods. Loki did live in Asgard and was the son of a giant. Maybe in the DCU they pulled a Fourth World Son Swap like Darkseid and Highfather. It's all subjective.

MattDiCarlo December 1st, 2008 03:19 PM

Yeah, seriously. You didn't even come up with an explanation, so we can't give you a no-prize.

Steve Danger December 1st, 2008 03:37 PM

Who? Me or him? He deserves one just for ending every sentence with a smiley face of some sort! (... those are called emoticons aren't they?)

Icefan December 1st, 2008 04:26 PM

It's two different places:

Jötunheimr is the realm of the Frost Giants.

Jotunheimen is in southern Norway, in the realm of Midgard.

Steve Danger December 1st, 2008 04:30 PM

Those very articles you link say they're one in the same, or at least the new name derived from the name of myth.

Jotunheimen:
Quote:

Originally there was no common name for this large mountainous area, but in 1820 the geologist B. M. Keilhau proposed the name Jotunfjeldene "the mountains of the giants" (inspired by the German name Riesengebirge). This was later changed to Jotunheimen by the poet Aasmund Olavsson Vinje in 1862 - and this name/form is directly inspired by the name Jötunheimr in Norse mythology.
Jötunheimr:
Quote:

Gastropnir, home of Menglad, and Þrymheimr, home of Þjazi, were both located in Jotunheim, which was ruled by King Thrym. Glæsisvellir was a location in Jotunheim, where lived the giant Gudmund, father of Höfund.

K-DoG7p7 December 1st, 2008 04:43 PM

Jotunheimen is the modern name for Jötunheimr, it literally mens "Home of the Jotun"

Now i know that the Norse god in the DCU have never really been explored.. in fact the only REAL Norse god we have seen in the DCU is Odin in a recent issue of WW..
All others have later been shown to be fakes.. like the Gods the JSA was fighting alongside..

Icefan December 1st, 2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Danger (Post 1359106)
Those very articles you link say they're one in the same, or at least the new name derived from the name of myth.

Right. They were in Tora's homeland in southern Norway which was named, by humans about two-hundred years ago, after the realm of the Jotuns. It's possible that Tora's people are descendants of the Frost Giants, loyal to the Aesir, like the jotun-goddess Skadi.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._by_Saltza.jpg

Steve Danger December 1st, 2008 06:24 PM

See... I think we're getting our wires crossed here. I'm talkin' history, you're talking comic books (modern mythology, of course). Either way, it's the same place, or else Booster was in another realm... and not reading #9 (my wallet could only tolerate it up to #5, as much as I wanted to go further) I don't know which Booster was in.

Icefan December 1st, 2008 06:57 PM

What I was getting at is that in the DCU, it's likely that there is an extra-dimensional "Home of the Giants", as well as the region of southern Norway by that name. The characters in BG #9 were almost certainly in the later, since it's well established that Tora's homeland is in Norway proper.

Steve Danger December 1st, 2008 07:00 PM

Ah, now I'm picking up what you're putting down, and I have no arguments.

K-DoG7p7 December 1st, 2008 11:08 PM

Given where Tora is from its more logical that she Worships the Vanir
only a small part of the north west coast of Old Norway worshiped the Aesir..
then again.. she could worship both..

Sentinel119 December 2nd, 2008 12:07 PM

It is a comic book, does it really matter?

K-DoG7p7 December 2nd, 2008 01:42 PM

It matters to us nitpickers!

Atom December 4th, 2008 10:44 AM

Perhaps off-panel, Thor has succeeded in conquering the land of the Frost Giants and has made his home there. It's an untold story that we'll explore another day.

I'll take my no-prize in small bills, please. Very small bills. ;)