The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Geoff's film, television and video games! (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Superman vs. the Elite (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89225)

Eric Q February 14th, 2012 12:49 AM

Superman vs. the Elite

Pauley Perrette to play Lois

I don't know about that art style, it has an Incredibles/light hearted vibe to it. I was kind of hoping they'd ape Dough Mahnke's style or at least use the one that's in Justice League: Doom.

Big heck yes on George Newbern!

gardner_guy February 14th, 2012 11:46 PM

Superman looks like he's borrowing the Tick's chin!

jafabian February 15th, 2012 03:33 PM

From CBR: First Look at "Superman vs. The Elite" Animated Film

Eric Q February 16th, 2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jafabian (Post 1758295)

Hopefully a two part DKR will do well enough for the WB head honchos to allow for longer running times or at least more two parts for stories that shouldn't be done under 75 minutes.

Details on Manchester Black

Eric Q March 15th, 2012 04:09 PM

Trailer

This art style doesn't look too bad.

They did a good job casting Black.

jafabian June 11th, 2012 04:54 PM

New Images From Superman vs. The Elite

Scott Mateo June 12th, 2012 10:05 PM

Gonna watch it right now!

jafabian June 13th, 2012 12:22 PM

From Newsarama: Joe Kelly Explores SUPERMAN's Relevance in 'ELITE'

Mr. Wrong June 13th, 2012 12:47 PM

Watched it last night. Another solid DC animated feature. Having never read the story it's based on, I had no expectations other than what I knew of the Elite from their appearances in JLA and as JLElite. It wasn't the greatest animated film DC has released, but it was well worth watching.

PS - I dread the day they start using the Nu-costumes in these releases.

John Casey June 13th, 2012 02:08 PM

It was hard to watch for me....couldn't get past Superman being animated with Jay Leno's chin....

Marky June 16th, 2012 02:41 PM

Really enjoyed this, I hadn't read the original issue either.

The story and theme were great, Newbern as Superman was a welcome return and Pauley Perrette as Lois worked better than I expected as her voice through the animated Lois put me in mind of Margot Kidder with the same sort of huskyness.

I've just read Action 775 and really appreciate how they kept the same tight story but expanded on the Elite's characters (especially Manchester) and I prefered how Superman solved things in the movie too. Obviously Joe Kelly has a bigger canvas with the film whereas the original issue is great as a 'done in one' story.

I agree with Mr. Wrong with dreading the coming of the new 52 in these features. Watching this made me happy seeing a Superman in his classic costume coming home to Lois and talking to Ma and Pa Kent for guidance etc.

Flashpoint is rumoured to be coming after DKR so maybe it's New 52 from there?

But yeh loved this, up with Batman Year One, New Frontier and Under The Red Hood as one of my favourite DC Animated movies. Great choice of story and well adapted by it's author :)

FlashEarthOne June 16th, 2012 09:32 PM

The animation style prevented it from being a classic for me. I consider New Frontier, Justice League: Doom, and Under the Red Hood to be the best of the DC animated movies. If this movie had similar animation to any of those movies it would have been added to that list. It really is an outstanding story with a great theme.

ronaldj June 16th, 2012 10:05 PM

looking forward to seeing it....

Hierarch555 June 16th, 2012 10:41 PM

This was my favorite animated dc movie. I think they were going for a weiringo homage with this. He was drawing adventures of superman around when the comic came out.
The comic that started my dc fandom was an issue of adventures featuring manchester black drawn by ringo. The rendition of black in the toon looks alot like the one in ringo's issue and not at all like mahnke's version.

Eric Q June 17th, 2012 09:27 PM

Some of my thoughts...

I felt like Superman's message was diluted by how his fights with Atomic Skull and the Elite in Metropolis were depicted.

George Newbern's performance as Superman is still solid, it was especially chilling when he "loses" it.

I thought I would have a problem with Pauley Perrette as Lois because of her distinctive voice and her role as Abby on NCIS but I didn't and I would like to see her return for another project.

It was nice to see more of the Lois and Clark relationship in this adaption.

Would have liked them to have shown the background of the other Elite members.

thunderdude June 19th, 2012 12:23 AM

Oh lord. that animation style was horrible. Superman's chin was humongus. I really felt bad for Newbern and Perette who really tried with this thing. The odd thing was the classic Superman cartoons in the credits looked better than the main story.