The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Back Issues: Geoff Johns (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Wave Rider (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70858)

AFan2 May 7th, 2009 08:02 AM

Wave Rider

I didn't know where to put this thread so thought this the best place seeing as Johns wrote 52 and Wave Rider seems to have died there.

Anyway my question is....Is Wave Rider dead??

Last time I saw him was in 52 when the evil Skeets was trying to find out who Rip Hunter was. Was his fate ever explained.

I used to love the character and would love to see him again.

Also another quick question about the ol Flame head....

I never got what happened to him in Zero Hour, he seemed to be absorbed by Extant...and then he was back again...Did the other Mathew Ryder become a new Wave Rider??

Also what is Extant up to these days?

If anybody can answer these questions I would really appriciate it.

Fightgar May 7th, 2009 06:54 PM

i miss wave rider too....i hope he gets used somewhere

BrianT May 7th, 2009 08:08 PM

I'm pretty sure Matthew Ryder became Waverider in Zero Hour.

I also believe Extant was killed early in the JSA series.

PyroTwilight May 7th, 2009 09:20 PM

Yep the other Matthew Ryder became the second Waverider who was killed by Mr. MindSkeets.

Presumably that's the last of him but who knows.

Wanderer May 11th, 2009 06:45 AM

Didn't skeets use his armor? I think I remember something about that. To me that implied he was dead

ggiandonato May 11th, 2009 01:39 PM

Evil Skeets killed Waverider and used his 'skin' to build his new shell. This enabled Evil Skeets to time travel as seen in 52.

PyroTwilight May 11th, 2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggiandonato (Post 1455784)
Evil Skeets killed Waverider and used his 'skin' to build his new shell. This enabled Evil Skeets to time travel as seen in 52.

I don't think so. Mr. Skeets said that Wave Rider's skin was what was used to actually create Skeets in the first place via paradox and such. He didn't make a new skin out of it. Thus he killed Wave Rider, placed his body somewhere and in the 25th century it was rfound and used to make Skeets' shell.

Sentinel119 May 11th, 2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyroTwilight (Post 1455829)
I don't think so. Mr. Skeets said that Wave Rider's skin was what was used to actually create Skeets in the first place via paradox and such. He didn't make a new skin out of it. Thus he killed Wave Rider, placed his body somewhere and in the 25th century it was rfound and used to make Skeets' shell.

That's the way I read it.

ggiandonato May 11th, 2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyroTwilight (Post 1455829)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel119 (Post 1455955)
That's the way I read it.

I can see why you both read it that way. I did too at first, but then I thought - Why would a security robot need 'waverider skin' as a shell? This lead me to believe that Mr. Skeets upgraded the shell at a later date.

Plus, didn't Mr. Skeets look different at that point?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4...5point2xq2.png

PyroTwilight May 11th, 2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggiandonato (Post 1456014)
I can see why you both read it that way. I did too at first, but then I thought - Why would a security robot need 'waverider skin' as a shell? This lead me to believe that Mr. Skeets upgraded the shell at a later date.

Plus, didn't Mr. Skeets look different at that point?

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4...5point2xq2.png

Eh not really, it's more of an artistic license. It was also a big explanation for why Mr. Mind COULD control Skeets. He could only control living beings and Skeets was made of formerly living skin metal or somesuch. Plus Skeets was ALREADY time traveling at that point considering it's how he got to Waverider.

ggiandonato May 11th, 2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyroTwilight (Post 1456015)
Eh not really, it's more of an artistic license.

Skeets did look different throughout 52. Some of it was artistic license, but, other times, I thought it was plot driven (i.e. the pix above.)

Quote:

It was also a big explanation for why Mr. Mind COULD control Skeets. He could only control living beings and Skeets was made of formerly living skin metal or somesuch.
I don't remember that at all (not saying it didn't happen.) I thought Mr. Mind reprogrammed Skeets from the inside out.

Quote:

Plus Skeets was ALREADY time traveling at that point considering it's how he got to Waverider.
I hate time travel. :D

PyroTwilight May 11th, 2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggiandonato (Post 1456032)
Skeets did look different throughout 52. Some of it was artistic license, but, other times, I thought it was plot driven (i.e. the pix above.)

I don't remember that at all (not saying it didn't happen.) I thought Mr. Mind reprogrammed Skeets from the inside out.

I hate time travel. :D

Yes, he did reprogram his from inside out but Mr. Mind's only been shown to have been able to do so for living beings and stuff and Wave Rider's former living skin made it possible enough to control, or so I presumed since it's been referred to as an organic shell.

Time travel can be a heck of a brain ache.

Wally West888 May 12th, 2009 04:55 AM

Make Waverider a Black Lantern and see what happens them, lol.

diablo May 12th, 2009 12:07 PM

How do you kill a time traveler?

Waverider is still usable. Sure, maybe he was killed in 52 but who is to say that a version of him from before that time couldn't show up?

Tar-Ik June 7th, 2009 06:29 PM

Waverider is a great concept would be great if he poped up again in Booster Gold!

Scott Mateo June 7th, 2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo (Post 1456271)
How do you kill a time traveler?

Ask Gabriel Walker ;)