The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Back Issues: Greg Rucka (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Gotham Central (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62556)

oddballuk August 19th, 2008 10:58 AM

Gotham Central

The best Batman related series ever in my opinion and Batman barely qualified as a supporting character in it.

I loved this series, loved it.

Even when it involved actual established Bat-villains, Rucka and Bru used them in interesting new ways. The Two-Face/Montaya arc and the Joker/sniper storylines being good examples of this.

I only wish DC would collect the remaining issues of this series so I can have them all in TPB form. The upcoming Omnibus collection looks like they'll be complete but throw the rest of us a bone DC!

Still... a brilliant series!

Jake1823 August 19th, 2008 11:27 AM

It's probably my favorite Bat-series of all time. Morrison's stuff now is coming close, but yeah, this was awesome.

>>Riz! October 16th, 2008 03:05 AM

I read the first HC collecting the first ten issues. It was soooooooooooooooooooo awesome. I can't wait for the other HCs to come out. I was thinking about getting the TPBs now, just to know how the stories continue, but I don't want to have the stories double as soon as the next HC comes out... Oh man, that's a hard decision...
However - Gotham Central is imo the best comic I've read in a while. I love how Batman is a part of the book, but he isn't always in the spotlight. I love how the characters interact with each other. I loved to see Renee and Chrispus, to see how they were before becoming what they are today. And this makes the characters even better when I read the actual stories with them.
A wonderful book and I can't wait for the next HC.
Mr Rucka, you and Mr Brubacker did a fantastic job with this book.

Aziz Bawany October 16th, 2008 01:30 PM

Wait for the HC even if it's a longer time because they look to collect all the issues, where the trades omitted a few.

TheRay October 16th, 2008 05:54 PM

I only ever had the first trade and a few scattered issues here and there, so I don't mind starting over with the HCs.

Fantastic series though.

manwithnoname October 17th, 2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aziz Bawany (Post 1331171)
Wait for the HC even if it's a longer time because they look to collect all the issues, where the trades omitted a few.

Very true.

I have all of the individual issues, but I'm still getting all of the GC hardcovers because it's just that good. This series is quality and deserves a quality package.

>>Riz! October 19th, 2008 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aziz Bawany (Post 1331171)

Alright, I'll do that. Thanks. :)

pchan126 October 21st, 2008 09:49 PM

Any word when the 2nd volume is coming out?

Ken Liner April 1st, 2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pchan126 (Post 1334747)
Any word when the 2nd volume is coming out?

I just saw Gotham Central Vol. 2: Jokers and Madmen HC (Hardcover) on Amazon. It looks like Vol. 2 will be released around September 8. There aren't any details about which issues are in this volume.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...xL._SS500_.jpg

The solicitation says it collects 2 separate cases, which are probably Soft Targets (#12-15) and Life is Full of Disappointments (#16-18). Hopefully it contains the stand-alone #11, as well, since people who bought the trades never saw this terrific story.

The solicitation also states that this volume has 288 pages (Vol. 1 had 240). Maybe this volume will also have Unresolved (#19-22). 12 issues at 24 pages each = 288 pages total.

It's possible then that Vol. 3 could contain Corrigan (#23-24), the stand-alone #25, On the Freak Beat (#26-27), Keystone Kops (#28-31), the stand-alone #32. This would be 10 issues.

Vol. 4 could then finish up with Dead Robin (#33-36), the stand-alone #37, and Corrigan II (#38-40). This is 8 issues.

Issue #32 could possibly go in Vol. 4 to make them both 9 issues each.

Matches April 1st, 2009 12:49 PM

I think you've got it about right. I'd include #32 with v. 4 just to balance out the volumes a little.

Holiday April 8th, 2009 11:12 PM

I read that Volume 2 contains issues 11-22 which would go along with the number of pages in the solicit. Ken, you are correct again.

oddballuk April 21st, 2009 03:40 AM

Well the second HC has been officially solicited and officially confirms that it collects issues #11 - 22!

Great news! :)

Quote:

GOTHAM CENTRAL VOL. 2: JOKERS AND MADMEN
Written by Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker;
Art by Michael Lark, Greg Scott, Brian Hurt and Stefano Gaudiano;
Cover by Michael Lark

Witness the gritty side of the Gotham City Police Department from their perspective, as they take on criminals like The Joker and grudgingly look to the Dark Knight
for help.

This volume collects two cases of the Gotham Special Crimes Unit, from the pages of GOTHAM CENTRAL #11-22. First, The Joker terrorizes the city at Christmastime when he begins randomly executing people with a rifle, and no one from the Mayor on down is safe. Then, disgraced detective Harvey Bullock must settle some unfinished business...

Batman 288pg. Color Hardcover $29.99 US

On Sale September 9, 2009

Deathstroke May 10th, 2009 09:45 AM

You can count me in as someone who was a huge fan of Gotham Central.

I know the sales weren't there, but it was a very disappointing thing to lose the book.

Falloutboy May 10th, 2009 12:52 PM

I miss this series! Gotham Central is a book that made me want to try my hand at writing.

manwithnoname July 7th, 2010 03:50 PM

Finally getting Gotham Central HC volume 3 through Mile High Comics sale. Ordered it yesterday.

Matt Olsen July 7th, 2010 04:35 PM

Good move! I recently read it and those are some great stories. It's been my first time reading the series and I'm hooked. It looks like the final volume is out in February 2011.