The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Green Lantern (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Will we ever find out Sinestro's name? (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22879)

raw power72 March 19th, 2006 03:19 AM

Will we ever find out Sinestro's name?

My question to the GL creative teams ...Will we ever find out Sinestro's name before he turned against the GL? It doesn't make sense that he was a GL with a name like Sinestro.

The Myst March 19th, 2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raw power72
My question to the GL creative teams ...Will we ever find out Sinestro's name before he turned against the GL? It doesn't make sense that he was a GL with a name like Sinestro.

As hard as it is to believe... Sinestro is his name.

raw power72 March 19th, 2006 03:30 AM

That is obvious. Even when Hal turned sides he changed his name to Parallax.

Ragnell March 19th, 2006 03:49 AM

RAB (I think this is the same guy ) had a great explanation for that in reply to this blog post actually.

Quote:

"EDITOR'S NOTE: Sinestro's real name translates as 'left-handed' in the language of his home planet Korugar -- just as the word 'sinister' means 'left-handed' in English! Hal's ring automatically translates the name into the nearest English equivalent, just as it does for all alien languages he encounters!"
I don't care what future writer says, in my mind that will always be the explanation for Sinestro's name.

raw power72 March 19th, 2006 04:04 AM

Are there back issues that make a reference to this translation.

Ragnell March 19th, 2006 06:08 AM

Quote:

Are there back issues that make a reference to this translation.

No, I think that's a fanwank.

Lord malvolio March 19th, 2006 07:42 AM

Well, you could ask Mr Marz who frequents these boards as he DID write an origin story for Sinestro a few years back. I believe he did give Sinestro a different name BEFORE he had a taste for the rings power.

Old School March 19th, 2006 08:04 AM

i thought his name was paul?

gothamite March 19th, 2006 10:56 AM

Why would any Green Lantern take a code name?

Ion81 March 19th, 2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Spock !

Infernorhythm March 19th, 2006 12:22 PM

I never realized Sinestro was similar to Sinister until recently. I always thought it was Sin-est-row. I like the left handed thing.

holo2 March 19th, 2006 12:28 PM

It's like the ols Star Trek...you know ensign red shirt is going to die... with a name like sinestro, you know he's going bad.

Mark MacMillan March 19th, 2006 12:34 PM

So if "left-handed" is what the ring translates to Hal, what does the name "Hal Jordan" translate into for Sinestro? :confused:

Infernorhythm March 19th, 2006 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark MacMillan
So if this is what the ring translates to Hal, what does the name "Hal Jordan" translate into for Sinestro? :confused:

Drunk pilot?

Danny B March 19th, 2006 01:38 PM

To English speaking humans Sinestro does sound like "sinister". But to Korugarians it's probably just a name in their language. Maybe to them Hal, Guy, Kyle, or John means "sinister".

raw power72 March 19th, 2006 02:09 PM

Sinister doesn't mean good. No matter how you translate it.