The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marvel Comics (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   So....yeah....Secret Wars. (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97383)

TJLamb0518 May 7th, 2015 03:21 PM

So....yeah....Secret Wars.

You know what? After the last year or so of shenanigans in the 616 and Ultimate Universes....I'm actually looking forward to destroying them both. Which, I suspect, was the intention for the last year of muddied, convoluted, boring stories. Let 'em die at this point.

I may take the next couple of months off (doubtful, but possible) and come back when the dust has settled and see if the creator changes (and universe changes) will make the Marvel books fun and readable again. So far, one issue in and I'm reminded more of Secret Wars II than Secret Wars.

If Convergence is ANYthing like this, I cannot imagine how ticked I'd be if I was reading both companies books.

Greg Waite May 8th, 2015 07:37 AM

I got the FCBD issue of Secret Wars #0 and I wasn't impressed at all. With that said, I'm not getting Secret Wars.

I don't want to shell out $4.99 for a series that I'm not that into.

As for what happens after Secret Wars, I'll return and see what books pop out of it and who's on what series.

Then I'll change my entire Marvel pull list.

TJLamb0518 May 8th, 2015 09:02 AM

It just seems so....Superman Returns or Star Trek: Into Darkness to me. "Let's take all the basic elements of something fans loved and turn it on it's head but keep all the key looks of it".

mmk123 May 8th, 2015 09:34 AM

I did get Secret Wars #1 but have not read it yet. It seems that after May, I will be buying only Secret Wars (I figure Captain Marvel, Black Widow and Uncanny Avengers will be wrapped up by then).
I am actually enjoying Convergence but I know that once it is over that I will be buying less DC books as well.

starks May 8th, 2015 12:28 PM

I just wish Marvel had better artists. Any time I'm thinking about picking up a title at the LCS, I open it up & see pretty bad art, & then place it back on the rack. At $3.99 a pop, I want more professional looking art.

Mr. Wrong May 8th, 2015 03:34 PM

Sounds predictably selfish, but if Marvel or DC would reset to an aesthetic (not a particular continuity) that appealed to me, I would be all over the comics.

Something like the mid-to-late '70s through the early to mid-80s.

Yes, that's when I was a kid. Sue me.

Hell, if they would just make half of their regular monthly comics all-ages in the traditional sense of the term, I'd at least buy them for my son.

darthlucifuge May 8th, 2015 09:08 PM

I liked the first issue. Marvel also isn't rebooting as evidenced by the FCBD All-New All-Different Avengers issue.

superfriend May 9th, 2015 11:46 AM

logically i know it's not going to happen but just rooting for the Ultimate Universe to be crushed got me a little invested.

it's hardly a "secret" war though, huh?

the first issue didn't put me off though.

Danny Perkins May 19th, 2015 07:53 AM

If this is marvels first true crisis they are in big trouble. Frankly I feel the avengers (and maybe by extension Hickman?) since marvel now have done significant damage to the marvel universe. Most of the heavy continuity stuff is unreadable. The art has been high quality, but the story makes no sense.

People excited about age of ultron ask me what happened in the comic and I have to tell them that despite reading it I have no idea.

TJLamb0518 May 19th, 2015 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Perkins (Post 1902703)
If this is marvels first true crisis they are in big trouble. Frankly I feel the avengers (and maybe by extension Hickman?) since marvel now have done significant damage to the marvel universe. Most of the heavy continuity stuff is unreadable. The art has been high quality, but the story makes no sense.

People excited about age of ultron ask me what happened in the comic and I have to tell them that despite reading it I have no idea.

They ARE a slog. It's all pseudo-intellectual clap trap ("pseudo-intellectual" because none of it is obviously based on reality but on one man's imagination so he gets to make it sound as important as he wants because it's his to create how he wants.) that all....seems important. It just doesn't (for me) come off as such.

I look to CoIE as the gold standard of how to do this type of event. Everyone has spent 30 years chasing that dragon without ever touching a scale on the tail.

John Casey May 19th, 2015 09:19 AM

I read the first issue, and I was completely underwhelmed.

As for Convergence, I do not see the reason to bring back a multiverse only to kill it off again like it appears to be the plot of this story by creating a "War World"

Mr. Wrong May 19th, 2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 (Post 1902705)
They ARE a slog. It's all pseudo-intellectual clap trap ("pseudo-intellectual" because none of it is obviously based on reality but on one man's imagination so he gets to make it sound as important as he wants because it's his to create how he wants.) that all....seems important. It just doesn't (for me) come off as such.

I look to CoIE as the gold standard of how to do this type of event. Everyone has spent 30 years chasing that dragon without ever touching a scale on the tail.

Do you mean the execution of CoIE as a miniseries/story itself, the way the DCU was affected by it, both, or neither?

WE NEED TO KNOW MORE, T.J.

superfriend May 19th, 2015 10:06 AM

second issue was a better Secret Wars #1, you ask me.

i liked the Judge Dredd vibe with Capt. Britain and a bunch of the other gobbledy-gook with the Thors having the space cops archetype and probably other little nerdy things that i can't remember. this is Earth X level continuity pr0n.

i mean, it's extremely self-important. and it's Hickman on top of that. i just kind of follow Hickman around because of his indy work. i think i prefer his FF work over his Avengers work though. his Avengers run can't end soon enough. but i read Hickman, so here i am.

and like i'm not going to get a seat at Marvel's "1st Crisis"?

as a Secret Wars sequel it's got the slightest hints (employing a Doom/Molecule Man reunion and Battleworld as a thing are the main things that come to mind) but it's not true to the vapid nature of the original maxi-series. i read the old series earlier this year. there's Mike Zeck and then the black costume showing up and maybe Rhodey filling in for Drunk Tony but the rest of it i forgot wasn't that interesting. maybe if you're a Wrecking Crew superfan...?

i'm looking forward to Aaron's Weirdworld stuff. i've read Arkon's first appearance in Avengers 75-76, the Weirdworld stuff and 11 issues of Crystar in recent weeks. tangentially, it's got me rooting around in back issues bins, auctions and digital services. haven't done that in a while.

Esad Ribic is kind've legend here, as well. good visuals on the book.

TJLamb0518 May 19th, 2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wrong (Post 1902711)
Do you mean the execution of CoIE as a miniseries/story itself, the way the DCU was affected by it, both, or neither?

WE NEED TO KNOW MORE, T.J.

I meant the execution. The aftermath and fallout were handled ....well.....ask Hawkman fans.

Mr. Wrong May 19th, 2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 (Post 1902715)
I meant the execution. The aftermath and fallout were handled ....well.....ask Hawkman fans.

I am a Hawkman fan.

To your point... yep.

MattDiCarlo May 19th, 2015 07:44 PM

In case any of you guys are wondering, I loved Secret Wars #2. It's this massive love letter for everything outlandish and BIG about the MU. It's amazing that in less than ten years we went from the most ground level, unfantastic, self-loathing thing that Marvel ever did in Civil War to this. We live in blessed times.