The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Television, Movies and Animation (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Let's Talk Hitchcock! (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92362)

Jake1823 October 25th, 2012 09:11 PM

Let's Talk Hitchcock!

Favorite movie(s)? Favorite female and male leads? Favorite scene? General memories or thoughts? Do you dislike his movies, or think him overrated?

I just saw Notorious yesterday, and it's so good. The shot where the camera zooms in on the key in Bergman's hand is amazing, and the closing shot with Claude Rains' Alexander Sebastian (who is the star of this movie, imo) ascending the steps is so well-done. You almost feel for the guy. Almost.

Anyway, I haven't seen enough Hitchcock (can you believe I haven't seen Psycho or The Birds?), but my favorite is Rear Window, followed by Vertigo, North by Northwest, Notorious, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Dial M for Murder. So far, that's all of his movies I've seen.

As you can see, I love me some James Stewart. In fact, I'd call him my favorite actor of all time. He's magnificent in Rear Window, Vertigo, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. Especially Vertigo, he played the obsession so well.

But yeah, give your thoughts! Let this thread be without structure; talk about whatever pertaining to Hitchcock.

Scott Mateo October 25th, 2012 09:19 PM

I watch Alfred Hitchcock Presents all the time on HULU.

Eric Q October 26th, 2012 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake1823 (Post 1794472)
Favorite movie(s)? Favorite female and male leads? Favorite scene? General memories or thoughts? Do you dislike his movies, or think him overrated?

I just saw Notorious yesterday, and it's so good. The shot where the camera zooms in on the key in Bergman's hand is amazing, and the closing shot with Claude Rains' Alexander Sebastian (who is the star of this movie, imo) ascending the steps is so well-done. You almost feel for the guy. Almost.

Anyway, I haven't seen enough Hitchcock (can you believe I haven't seen Psycho or The Birds?), but my favorite is Rear Window, followed by Vertigo, North by Northwest, Notorious, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Dial M for Murder. So far, that's all of his movies I've seen.

As you can see, I love me some James Stewart. In fact, I'd call him my favorite actor of all time. He's magnificent in Rear Window, Vertigo, and The Man Who Knew Too Much. Especially Vertigo, he played the obsession so well.

But yeah, give your thoughts! Let this thread be without structure; talk about whatever pertaining to Hitchcock.

I haven't seen many of his films but my favorite film and only one I've seen is North by Northwest.

Hitchcock trailer: starring Anthony Hopkins

Matt Olsen October 26th, 2012 01:39 PM

It's pretty slow by today's tastes, but I liked Rebecca.

If you like black comedy, The Trouble with Harry is good.

Jake1823 October 26th, 2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Q (Post 1794515)
I haven't seen many of his films but my favorite film and only one I've seen is North by Northwest.

Hitchcock trailer: starring Anthony Hopkins

Have you seen the other movie starring Sienna Miller as Tippi Hedren? It gets into Hitch's treatment of Hedren in the The Birds. The dude was strange, to say the least. Vertigo is pretty much the culmination of his feelings toward women.

TripleX October 27th, 2012 03:17 PM

I had a substitute teacher in high school that showed us "Rebecca" and "Strangers On A Train" because he didn't have a lesson plan. I want to thank that dude, he was the coolest! At that point I'd already seen "Psycho" and "the Birds" but those were the movies that cemented my love for Hitchcock's films.

"Vertigo", "Suspicion", "Spellbound" and "Notorious" are boring compared to my personal favorite..."Frenzy". It's the most graphic, has the scariest villain and the most black comedy.

While channel surfing as a kid I came across the potato truck scene where the bad guy tries to recover his missing tie pin from the hand of his latest victim. Comically it seems as if the corpse and the loose potatoes rolling all over the truck's bed are intent on thwarting him. He finally corners the body but rigor mortis has set in, he has to break her fingers to get it back and there's a sickening cracking sound of bones snapping. That scene scared me half to death. I hadn't seen levity mixed with horror before and the fact it was funny somehow made it all the more chilling. There's also a running gag of the police inspector's wife making him disgusting dishes she's partially learned how to prepare in a cooking class she's taking, that's hilarious.

What makes the movie so good though is until the final scene it looks as if the killer will be successful in raping and murdering women that have spurned his advances by framing his innocent friend for his crimes. It has all the thrills and suspense of any of the best Hitchcock films, but everything is turned up a couple notches enabling it to stand apart as something more.

1. Frenzy
2. Strangers On A Train
3. Rear Window
4. Rope
5. Rebecca
6. Psycho
7. Lifeboat
8. the Birds
9. North By Northwest
10. To Catch A Thief

There are still several I haven't seen though. Just saw a review for "Shadow of Doubt" and hope to see that one next. Joseph Cotton plays the bad guy and he's one of my favorite parts of "Citizen Kane".

Elias March 5th, 2016 02:07 AM

Alfred Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW

AICN:
Behold the amazing Alfred Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW in Time Lapse! Amazing!

Amentep March 7th, 2016 11:35 AM

Not sure where I was in 2012 to not answer this thread, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleX (Post 1794954)
There are still several I haven't seen though. Just saw a review for "Shadow of Doubt" and hope to see that one next. Joseph Cotton plays the bad guy and he's one of my favorite parts of "Citizen Kane".

Shadow of a Doubt is my favorite (and Hitch's professed favorite, if I recall correctly).

I'd put North by Northwest, The Trouble with Harry, Young and Innocent, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Frenzy, Psycho, The Birds, The Family Plot as really strong films.

But I like most of his films with a few notable exceptions (The Paradine Case and The Wrong Man).

mego joe March 26th, 2016 01:13 AM

Rear Window, North By Northwest, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint

ronaldj March 26th, 2016 05:17 AM

I have not seen many of his movies but, Rear Window was or is my favorite