The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marvel Comics (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Doctor Strange (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97612)

Amentep January 7th, 2016 05:07 PM

Doctor Strange

Its not grabbed me like the best Doctor Strange series, but this new comic has been pretty fun. And while there is an overarching story running, I've liked that they've built it with shorter stories (2 issue intro, this relatively one off).

Feels like they're trying to do a lot of "state of magic in the new universe" exposition here and there too.

starks January 8th, 2016 12:14 PM

Yeah, I don't know how I feel yet with it. It's an interesting title. Will see how it goes.

superfriend January 8th, 2016 03:59 PM

haven't read the latest issue yet (#4) but i'm getting a little bored.

i'm reading Englehart's Dr. Strange run for the first time right now so that might be scratching my Dr. Strange itch.

starks February 4th, 2016 11:41 AM

I think #4 was decent enough, will need to see how #5 goes to see if I stick with it beyond that.

Amentep February 4th, 2016 02:01 PM

Its certainly fast paced and all. I'm curious to where this is all going to end up though, as that will tell a lot about whether I continue (unless I drop it before that point).

starks February 5th, 2016 12:29 PM

I'm thinking #5 has to be the reveal of what exactly is going on.

Amentep February 14th, 2016 10:18 AM

Okay, read the latest issue. Did not like it. The end is a cliffhanger but they tease a new story arc. I can only imagine that the new arc is this arc continuing.

Much like Guardians of the Galaxy, which ended a long fight by starting another fight (resulting in me dropping the title), I have no desire to read this new arc in Dr Strange.

Also, overall, I'm really not enamored with tge MAGIC HAS A PRICE storytelling on dis play here and in Scarlet Witch. The reveal that Wong has a battalion of men paying Dr Strange Magic debt is ridiculous, imo

RoseWilson February 15th, 2016 03:15 PM

While I agree with you on Scarlet Witch I'm still digging this one overall. I do think the magic has a price thing is a little heavy handed but it is sort of a long time concept. Not just with Marvel I have an old DC RPG book and I clearly remember Neil Gaiman stressing in the intro to magic that it has a cost.

If I have any major criticism of this book so far is that the story line feels a little similar to me to what Aaron did with the God Butcher stuff in Thor.

starks March 3rd, 2016 01:15 PM

Read #5, I'm done.

This whole magic costs stuff is just stupid IMO. The not being able to eat normally is grotesque most of the time, and just plain stupid all of the time.

Jason Aaron's take on this character has failed for me. Very disappointed.

superfriend March 8th, 2016 08:58 AM

#5 will be my last as well. no beef with it, it just didn't keep my interest.

so it got dropped for Black Widow.

mmk123 March 8th, 2016 09:03 PM

I am staying with the title. I have been enjoying it and it is a new take on Dr Strange.

I do wonder if the whole "Magic has a price" thing. I am assuming that each person pays a different price for using magic. I believe in Scarlet Witch it said it was aging her soul yet it seems to be more of a physical effect for Dr Strange. Also I got the impression that Wanda can still eat normal food where Dr Strange can only eat weird eyeball casseroles.

RoseWilson March 8th, 2016 10:55 PM

I'm not in love with the magic has a price thing myself but it doesn't bother me enough to not overall enjoy the book. Of course I prefer Vertigo and dark fantasy etc. more than traditional super hero stories. To each their own I thought Black Widow issue one was rather bad myself.