The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Justice League (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Aquaman's Best Friend in the JLA (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4302)

StarmanVII May 13th, 2005 04:03 PM

Aquaman's Best Friend in the JLA

Who is Aquaman's Best Friend in the League?

Diana - Arthur and Diana seem to flirt alot. They have alot in common.

Hal - In Aquaman#7(Vol 2) he says that Hal was his best friend after J'onn, I never noticed that they were that close. Maybe because they rather play on Hal's friendship with Ollie or Barry.

J'onn - Its been noted a few times that J'onn and Arthur are close. But with Aquaman#29(vol 4), they don't seem that close. Actually J'onn acts like a ass. And in Aquaman#16 and #27(Vol 3), they seem at odds, not really friendly at all. But Identity Crisis they seem to have alot in common.

Catar - Are they close? They seem like they will get along?

I'll like these relationships to be explored. I like Arthur to have a bigger role in the League. Especially know that his not involved with Atlantis. I like to see Aquaman title have a crossover with Hawkman, Green Lantern or WW, if nothing is explored in JLA.

Any thoughts?

crawfordcrow May 13th, 2005 04:17 PM

I, too, would like to see Arthur resume a position of note within the League. He seems to be getting brushed aside too much lately, in spite of hints that the Progene stuff in his title will figure into the big Crisis-to-Crisis picture.

As for his friends, I've always gotten the impression that it was J'Onn first, Hal or Diana second, maybe Barry would have been next or Hawkman, but it gets hard to say from there.

StarmanVII May 13th, 2005 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawfordcrow
I, too, would like to see Arthur resume a position of note within the League. He seems to be getting brushed aside too much lately, in spite of hints that the Progene stuff in his title will figure into the big Crisis-to-Crisis picture.

As for his friends, I've always gotten the impression that it was J'Onn first, Hal or Diana second, maybe Barry would have been next or Hawkman, but it gets hard to say from there.

I don't remember Hal and Arthur being close? Can you name any issues, I can check out? I have to reread JLA Year one, but I remember them not geting along?

Eric Moreno May 13th, 2005 04:54 PM

Arthur + Diana = BF 4EVR!

crawfordcrow May 13th, 2005 04:57 PM

Now that you mention it, I did forget that there was the Year One tension between them, but of course that was also "Year One", so there was a lot of time after that during their long League tenure to smooth things over. By the time they were the old guard in post-Breakdowns JLI, they seemed rather on the same page (I don't recall any friction, but it's been awhile since I've read those - I could be wrong).

Plus, there's the statement from Aquaman #7 that you mentioned - since we know how much time they spent together in the classic League and the JLI, it doesn't seem like that big of a stretch to accept, even if we haven't seen it in explicit detail.

Although, honestly, I get the feeling that he's closer to Diana than Hal. Certainly now, at least (Aquaman #7 was pre-Morrison JLA, after all).

Zero Conner May 13th, 2005 05:46 PM

Wonder women but in IC he is shown hanging with MM talking about there childeren who had passed on.

Astroape2000 May 14th, 2005 11:33 AM

Aquaman likes the ladies. Nothing new there. If you were him would you rather hang out with a martian or Wonder Woman?

bgztl May 15th, 2005 01:15 AM

You know I don't think he's "close" to Wonder Woman so much as they simply understand each other's perspectives.

I'd like to make a pitch for Aquaman's best friend in the League being either the Atom or Elongated Man. Oddly enough, I think Arthur is drawn to the outcasts and underdogs. I think E-Man and Sue were probably the people in the league he loved the most. Atom I think he trusts.

StarmanVII May 15th, 2005 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawfordcrow
Now that you mention it, I did forget that there was the Year One tension between them, but of course that was also "Year One", so there was a lot of time after that during their long League tenure to smooth things over. By the time they were the old guard in post-Breakdowns JLI, they seemed rather on the same page (I don't recall any friction, but it's been awhile since I've read those - I could be wrong).

I never read any JLE or the actually Breakdowns storyline. Would you recommend me as a Aquaman fan to check those out. I've flicked through a few back issues at the comic store but didn't see Arthur in it much. Did Arthur really date Powergirl in that time or did they just flirt? Anyway, I'll apprieciate any information! Thanks! :)

StarmanVII May 15th, 2005 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgztl
You know I don't think he's "close" to Wonder Woman so much as they simply understand each other's perspectives.

I'd like to make a pitch for Aquaman's best friend in the League being either the Atom or Elongated Man. Oddly enough, I think Arthur is drawn to the outcasts and underdogs. I think E-Man and Sue were probably the people in the league he loved the most. Atom I think he trusts.

An interesting thought, but I don't think anything like that has been shown.

I liked Arthur have a relationship like Hawkman/Atom, Superman/Batman or Green Lantern/Green Arrow. See Arthur hang out with someone, and go for advice without being jerked around. But who will be a good match for a friendship to be explored?

crawfordcrow May 15th, 2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarmanVII
I never read any JLE or the actually Breakdowns storyline. Would you recommend me as a Aquaman fan to check those out. I've flicked through a few back issues at the comic store but didn't see Arthur in it much. Did Arthur really date Powergirl in that time or did they just flirt? Anyway, I'll apprieciate any information! Thanks! :)

He wasn't in Breakdowns, but in the JLE team that began right after that arc (starting in the Justice League Spectacular special, when both teams "rebooted", with Superman heading up the American team and Hal heading up the European team). If you're an Aquaman completist, I'd say they're worth checking out - I don't remember how long he lasted on the team, so start with the roster change and work/read your way up issue by issue until he leaves the team.

I haven't read those issues in years, so my memory's a little shaky, but I don't think Arthur and Power Girl fully hooked up, but I'm not sure. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Sokkratez May 15th, 2005 05:08 PM

I would say J'onn.

Brendon Carlson May 15th, 2005 05:36 PM

I would say Diana, and J'onn would be a close 2nd especially after Aquaman 29.

Old School May 15th, 2005 08:05 PM

i would say jonn too. dont forget these two bonded back in the detroit jla days

avathar476 May 15th, 2005 09:57 PM

J'onn then Diana.

DarqueGuy May 15th, 2005 10:44 PM

I know its too late these days, but I'd like to see some kinda flashback story showing Aquaman and Barry Allen as friends. After all, in the Time And Tide mini (which I think is still in continuity), Barry was the one who really first discovered Arthur and helped to assimilate him to the surface culture. It would've been great to have seen that relationship carried out through their years together on the JLA.