The Comic Bloc Forums

The Comic Bloc Forums (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Comic Announcements, Discussions, News and Rumors (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Digital Comics All-Purpose Discussion Thread (http://www.comicbloc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85744)

Matches July 20th, 2011 01:48 PM

Digital Comics All-Purpose Discussion Thread

Seeing if there's any interest in a one-stop shop to discuss digital comics news, new releases, etc.

The new offerings for this week include the three DC Retro books that shipped today. They're all priced at $4.99, may drop after a few weeks. Also there are some classic Batman and Flash issues offered, including the Denny O'Neil/ Neil Adams "Joker's Five-Way Revenge" from Batman #251.

On another note, is anyone else having hella problems with the Comixology app crashing? Mine is doing so regularly and is causing me no end of annoyance.

Jake1823 July 20th, 2011 03:17 PM

Haven't really checked, myself.

Here's an interesting article from Publisher's Weekly regarding DC's new digital initiative by David Brothers:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...his-fall-.html

I really do think Vertigo needs be included fast.

superfriend July 20th, 2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matches (Post 1715591)
Seeing if there's any interest in a one-stop shop to discuss digital comics news, new releases, etc.

The new offerings for this week include the three DC Retro books that shipped today. They're all priced at $4.99, may drop after a few weeks. Also there are some classic Batman and Flash issues offered, including the Denny O'Neil/ Neil Adams "Joker's Five-Way Revenge" from Batman #251.

On another note, is anyone else having hella problems with the Comixology app crashing? Mine is doing so regularly and is causing me no end of annoyance.

i don't have much interest in digital till i get a product that's mine and not paying for the privilege of a lending library or something heavily-DRMed but i just rolled into Comixology to do the free previews and everything checks out here. been testing it for the last hour and no crashing.

it may be your setup/some kind've conflict. you may want to contact Comixology for solutions/troubleshooting?

Matches July 20th, 2011 03:23 PM

Hmm.. I wonder if David is aware that mobile devices will send push notifications to the user when new titles become available. IOW if you want to just follow, say, "Chew", you can set the device to notify you when a new issue has been posted.

Over July 4th weekend DC did a big Vertigo sales where they added a whole pile of Vertigo issues to their library - some older stuff like Animal Man but also iZombie, Sweet Tooth and American Vampire, among others. They put out new issues of 100 Bullets, Scalped, Fables, and Y each week, so there's definitely a significant Vertigo presence in their digital library. Eventually I think they will go to same-day-digital for Vertigo titles, but in general I think it's less of an issue with those books, since they tend to be less "of the moment". (Something like Y, for example, can be jumped into at any time.)

Jake1823 July 20th, 2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matches (Post 1715658)
Hmm.. I wonder if David is aware that mobile devices will send push notifications to the user when new titles become available. IOW if you want to just follow, say, "Chew", you can set the device to notify you when a new issue has been posted.

Over July 4th weekend DC did a big Vertigo sales where they added a whole pile of Vertigo issues to their library - some older stuff like Animal Man but also iZombie, Sweet Tooth and American Vampire, among others. They put out new issues of 100 Bullets, Scalped, Fables, and Y each week, so there's definitely a significant Vertigo presence in their digital library. Eventually I think they will go to same-day-digital for Vertigo titles, but in general I think it's less of an issue with those books, since they tend to be less "of the moment". (Something like Y, for example, can be jumped into at any time.)

DiDio had a Facebook Q&A with fans yesterday or the day before, and he said that big things were gonna happen for Vertigo at the start of next year. I'm hoping it's that.

I just checked Comixology, and it's working fine for me, btw.

Matches July 21st, 2011 07:25 AM

Turned out to be an iPad issue, I think. Got the latest IOS upgrade and reset the device and so far it's working fine. I guess I'm supposed to actually turn it off occasionally....

LastSun July 21st, 2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matches (Post 1715981)
Turned out to be an iPad issue, I think. Got the latest IOS upgrade and reset the device and so far it's working fine. I guess I'm supposed to actually turn it off occasionally....

I have seen random crashes of the app every once in a while to, and saw some comments either on ComiXology or the App store reviews that talk about similiar problems.

I can't find it now, but I saw a post on the Comixology boards (groups) that said a major release is coming very shortly.

LastSun July 21st, 2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matches (Post 1715658)

I loved the Wonder Woman sale they did a couple of weeks ago. I got the whole New Frontier series for .99 :D

Matches July 21st, 2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastSun (Post 1716004)
I have seen random crashes of the app every once in a while to, and saw some comments either on ComiXology or the App store reviews that talk about similiar problems.

I can't find it now, but I saw a post on the Comixology boards (groups) that said a major release is coming very shortly.

They just did a big refresh of the DC app, so hopefully you're right.

Jake1823 July 21st, 2011 03:30 PM

Marvel Digital Panel

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc...el-110721.html

Spider-man (starting with Spider-Island) and X-Men (in Oct/Nov) titles to go day-and-date. Curious as to what the price point will be. Plus, I'm eager to hear how Bendis reacts.

The rest of this panel seems like filler.

Matches July 21st, 2011 06:04 PM

The rest of Marvel's same-day offerings have been cover price - i.e. $3.99 - and they don't drop. Right now the last 8 issues of Ultimate Spidey are on the Marvel App for $3.99 each.

If that's the deal here, then no thanks.

I am interested to see if/ how they can incorporate MDCU with iOS, though.

rpi July 21st, 2011 06:24 PM

The latest DC app update kinda pissed me off in that I had to download every single issue again. Still, I'm very much looking forward to September. The convenience is extremely appealing, and my LCS is more of a card shop than comic shop at this point, so I'm not gonna feel too bad not going there any more. It'll make traveling much easier as well. I just wish they'd start releasing everything done by a creator. I want all of Morrion's work, all of Rucka's, all of Simone's, etc.

LastSun July 22nd, 2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matches (Post 1716009)
They just did a big refresh of the DC app, so hopefully you're right.

OK I finally found the thread where I saw them talking about an update

this was from 3 weeks ago

Quote:

We're working on getting it out ASAP. It may, by chance really, be about SDCC time.

Devlyn16 July 22nd, 2011 09:59 AM

DC app is loaded into my Phone now.

Question for those more experianced in the Digital format: I have an Android phone and Hope to get an Android tablet by Christmas (Sony S1 or Xoom 2 if it is launched). Am I correct in assuming that issues purchased on my Phone will be readable on my Tablet?

Matches July 22nd, 2011 10:01 AM

The DC stuff works across multiple platforms. You should be fine.

LastSun July 22nd, 2011 11:07 AM

There is also a DC branded app coming soon for Android