PDA

View Full Version : Been re-reading my Flash Companion...

Bagged & Boarded
October 25th, 2010, 11:52 AM
It's such a great book. And no I am not kissing Keith's butt. I just seem to dig it out every so often and start re-reading certain parts. I feel like I do this pretty often. I tend to usually read the Wally West sections along with his creators but last night I read a lot with Cary Bates, Mike Barr and a few other Barry sections. This book is so good. I especially was enjoying the section having to do with the Firestorm and Dr Fate back ups. I hope all the Flash fans on this board picked the book up. It really is a must have.

Keith any chance of a volume 2? There must be tons of material still out there.

Bagged & Boarded
October 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Ya know what I would love to see too...a companion done just for Mark Waids work. I would love a Mark Waid companion that centers on all of his work. I could just listen or read the guy talk about comics all day.

Keith Dallas
October 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
It's such a great book. And no I am not kissing Keith's butt.

Thanks, man! Much appreciated!

I especially was enjoying the section having to do with the Firestorm and Dr Fate back ups.

Yeah, the Mike Barr interview was a pleasant surprise. The people we interviewed for The Flash Companion can be placed in two categories: (1) people who were important Flash creators, and (2) people who worked with important Flash creators. Mike Barr truly falls into the second category. The only reason I interviewed him was because he had worked with Ross Andru, Cary Bates, and Carmine Infantino. Barr only edited The Flash for a year, and while some of the Flash stories published during that year were fun reads, ultimately none of them will be recognized as some of the best Flash stories ever published. So my original reason to interview Barr was to see if he could provide some interesting perspectives/insights on Andru, Bates and Infantino.

Once I finished interviewing him though, I realized I HAD to include a transcript of the entire interview in the book. Barr provided some wonderful anecdotes. It was a joy speaking with him.

Keith any chance of a volume 2? There must be tons of material still out there.

You're right in that there is plenty of material still to be covered, especially now that Barry has returned...

but for the foreseeable future the TwoMorrows Companion line is kaput. The fact of the matter is that DC has significantly raised its licensing fee to the point where it's now cost prohibitive to produce material like this. You never know if DC will subsequently lower their licensing fees, but it's unlikely to happen any time soon. It's a shame because there were several other Companion books in the TwoMorrows pipeline that now won't see the light of day. But what DC is doing is completely within their rights. These are their characters, after all.

Ya know what I would love to see too...a companion done just for Mark Waids work. I would love a Mark Waid companion that centers on all of his work. I could just listen or read the guy talk about comics all day.

Ya, that's a great idea. TwoMorrows has published (and will continue to publish) books about comic book artists, but I don't know why they don't also publish books about comic book writers. I'll have to ask the publisher.

Anyway, thanks again for the compliment! I'm glad you find the book so enjoyable and resourceful!

Bagged & Boarded
October 25th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks, man! Much appreciated!

Yeah, the Mike Barr interview was a pleasant surprise. The people we interviewed for The Flash Companion can be placed in two categories: (1) people who were important Flash creators, and (2) people who worked with important Flash creators. Mike Barr truly falls into the second category. The only reason I interviewed him was because he had worked with Ross Andru, Cary Bates, and Carmine Infantino. Barr only edited The Flash for a year, and while some of the Flash stories published during that year were fun reads, ultimately none of them will be recognized as some of the best Flash stories ever published. So my original reason to interview Barr was to see if he could provide some interesting perspectives/insights on Andru, Bates and Infantino.

Once I finished interviewing him though, I realized I HAD to include a transcript of the entire interview in the book. Barr provided some wonderful anecdotes. It was a joy speaking with him.

You're right in that there is plenty of material still to be covered, especially now that Barry has returned...

but for the foreseeable future the TwoMorrows Companion line is kaput. The fact of the matter is that DC has significantly raised its licensing fee to the point where it's now cost prohibitive to produce material like this. You never know if DC will subsequently lower their licensing fees, but it's unlikely to happen any time soon. It's a shame because there were several other Companion books in the TwoMorrows pipeline that now won't see the light of day. But what DC is doing is completely within their rights. These are their characters, after all.

Ya, that's a great idea. TwoMorrows has published (and will continue to publish) books about comic book artists, but I don't know why they don't also publish books about comic book writers. I'll have to ask the publisher.

Anyway, thanks again for the compliment! I'm glad you find the book so enjoyable and resourceful!

You're welcome man. I appreciate that you put the book together. I have been a Flash fan since before I could read comics...and then it was driven home when I bought Crisis #8. So to be able to read the behind the scenes to the comics I love'd growing up is a real treat.

Tell me something...I don't know much about copyrights and public domain but at some point (I suppose in about 20 years) wouldn't anyone be able to publish their own book about The Flashes? Or Jay at least?

JRM
October 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
You're welcome man. I appreciate that you put the book together. I have been a Flash fan since before I could read comics...and then it was driven home when I bought Crisis #8. So to be able to read the behind the scenes to the comics I love'd growing up is a real treat.

Tell me something...I don't know much about copyrights and public domain but at some point (I suppose in about 20 years) wouldn't anyone be able to publish their own book about The Flashes? Or Jay at least?

Copyright laws have been altered in the US government and the behest of Disney and I believe that they have lengthened the time more than once when "that Mouse" was reaching a time where he would become open domain.
Others here know a fuller answer.

Keith Dallas
October 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Copyright laws have been altered in the US government and the behest of Disney and I believe that they have lengthened the time more than once when "that Mouse" was reaching a time where he would become open domain.
Others here know a fuller answer.

Ya, Jim expressed my understanding of the matter. The copyright laws seem to change every year. Theoretically, yes, at some point ALL properties become public domain. HOWEVER, as long as DC Comics (or Marvel Comics or Dark Horse, etc.) retain lawyers to pursue copyright infringement, then their characters won't become public domain. These properties are obviously very profitable, and the comic book publishers (or their parent companies) aren't simply going to relinquish control of them just because of (what they see as)an antiquated law.

Bagged & Boarded
October 26th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Ya, Jim expressed my understanding of the matter. The copyright laws seem to change every year. Theoretically, yes, at some point ALL properties become public domain. HOWEVER, as long as DC Comics (or Marvel Comics or Dark Horse, etc.) retain lawyers to pursue copyright infringement, then their characters won't become public domain. These properties are obviously very profitable, and the comic book publishers (or their parent companies) aren't simply going to relinquish control of them just because of (what they see as)an antiquated law.

Ahhhh....very interesting. Thanks for the info guys. ;)

zhengwgt
November 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
very interesting:D:D