PDA

View Full Version : What is Marvel Boy (Noh-Varr) doing on Earth-616?

Brian LaBelle
September 24th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I thought that Grant Morrison created him to be the first character in an all-new unnamed universe which went on to become the ultimate universe.

Now, he's running around Earth-616 in the pages of Civil War: Young Avengers / Runaways and there's no explanation for it.

I'm having difficulty reconciling that story into 616 continuity. Anybody know what the deal is there?

Chris Hansbrough
September 24th, 2006, 06:07 PM
welcome to marvel comics. universal barriers are breached constantly....like a cheap hard taco shell. sure you have to snap it to get through but man it's flimsy and breaks easily

Brian LaBelle
September 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Maybe this is Mad Jim Jaspers' ploy to take over the 616 universe from his home on Earth-238?

:p

Chris Hansbrough
September 24th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Maybe this is Mad Jim Jaspers' ploy to take over the 616 universe from his home on Earth-238?

:p

I hear the tacos there are delicious

new x-man
September 24th, 2006, 06:30 PM
welcome to marvel comics. universal barriers are breached constantly....like a cheap hard taco shell. sure you have to snap it to get through but man it's flimsy and breaks easily

Guess that prime punch is still working it's magick across dcu and into marvel

Old Chum
September 24th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I remember reading about some interdimensional transfer thing involved the supreme intelligence or something.....

I think it was in Wizard maybe...

All this Taco talk is getting me hungry.

Amentep
September 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I thought that Noh-Varr was from another dimension but that the story of Marvel Boy shifted him to 616...am I misremembering?

jafabian
September 24th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Pretty sure he came over to 616 for the Vietnamese sandwiches.

Mmmmm.....vietnamese sandwiches!!!!! Love 'em!

Brian LaBelle
September 24th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I thought that Noh-Varr was from another dimension but that the story of Marvel Boy shifted him to 616...am I misremembering?I thought he was trying to get to the 616 universe, missed it, and found the Ultimate universe by accident?

coiegeek
September 24th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Bringing up Marvels shortcomings about continuity when DC has had to redo there universe, what 3 times now? is really sad on your part. Oh wait I think, why yes it is its Superboy Prime waiting in the shadows once the writers in DC fubar the universe again.

bistmbgxtc
September 24th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I thought he was trying to get to the 616 universe, missed it, and found the Ultimate universe by accident?

Despite what was said Marvel Boy is not in the Ultimate Universe. Anyways hes probably in the 616 universe cause Morrison is writing for DC again and this is their revenge:confused:

Brian LaBelle
September 24th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Bringing up Marvels shortcomings about continuity when DC has had to redo there universe, what 3 times now?I don't think they've HAD TO, they've chosen to because fans have demanded and at some point in the early eight's, may comic fans just forgot how to count or remember their letters. It's not so confusing a concept.

Marvel has a massive multiverse as well but they only choose to go to each parallel universe once and hardly ever label it so that they never have to remember the previous stories that occured there and they can just make new ones up. If we numbered them all, there would be hundreds as opposed to the main dozen or so that DC had.

Despite what was said Marvel Boy is not in the Ultimate Universe. Anyways hes probably in the 616 universe cause Morrison is writing for DC again and this is their revenge:confused:What I thought I read was that it was the first of what would be a line of books of old concepts reimagined in a new universe where only the name was the same. so I thought he was some cockroach DNA infused Captain Marvel for the Ultimate Universe?

daxam
September 25th, 2006, 12:48 AM
From Wikipedia:

"Noh-Varr services as an ensign onboard the Marvel of the 18th Kree Diplomatic Gestalt. An interstellar schooner that transversed millions of alternate dimensions on its way home, the ship is drawn toward Earth-616 and shot down by the forces of Dr. Midas"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh-Varr

Great character that Marvel Boy.

Brian LaBelle
September 25th, 2006, 12:55 AM
From Wikipedia:

"Noh-Varr services as an ensign onboard the Marvel of the 18th Kree Diplomatic Gestalt. An interstellar schooner that transversed millions of alternate dimensions on its way home, the ship is drawn toward Earth-616 and shot down by the forces of Dr. Midas"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh-Varr

Great character that Marvel Boy.Based on that description, I'd say it's resonable to then assume he's from the ultimate universe and was stranded here.

Have the Kree shown up in the Ultimate universe?

If they have and they have pink skin, it certainly paves the way for a 616/Ultimate crossover when the time is right.

married guy
September 25th, 2006, 02:16 AM
I'm still bummed I'm not going to get a second mini series.
Marvel Boy was an AWESOME read.

sonichellboy
September 25th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Based on that description, I'd say it's resonable to then assume he's from the ultimate universe and was stranded here.

If they have and they have pink skin, it certainly paves the way for a 616/Ultimate crossover when the time is right.

The Kree have shown up, and they do not have pink skin as far as I can remember.

coiegeek
September 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Actually based on interviews with Marve Wolfman and Perez both on Crisis DC did indeed have to because they werent getting as many new readers. It was because the continuity of the DC books at that time were to hard for the new readers to understand. Yes you understand them because you were reading them for a while but for the casual and new readers it was to confusing to see all these different versions of the same characters in different universes.

daxam
September 25th, 2006, 03:40 PM
That's just a tale they tell to newbie kids.

Brian LaBelle
September 25th, 2006, 03:45 PM
That's just a tale they tell to newbie kids.Exactly.

I don't see people twisting their brains trying to figure out the differences between Earth-616, the Ultimate universe, the 2099 universe, MC2 universe and others.

The whole Marvel multiverse that encompasses the Spire (explained in X-Man.) is a heck of a lot more confusing to me than a simple, 1, 2, S or X.

And I really don't think somebody is going to go to the comic shop one day and say "Hey, Spider-Man isn't married to Mary-Jane in my comic, this is too confusing for me to keep reading!"

Maybe the problem was that they "dumbed it down" for people a little too much so all they had to keep track of was a single letter of the alphabet. Next time, maybe use a minimum of 2 consenants to help people keep it straight? :p

Jay West
September 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Marvel Boy was never in the Ultimate Universe. It was never stated until this mini that he was in any existing universe. It was hinted by Joe Q at one point that there was an Ultimate U book that predated Ult Spidey and everyone assumed it was Marvel Boy - in fact it probably was, but it was never in continuity what universe the mini took place in.

bistmbgxtc
September 25th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Except marvel Boy's universe had a different Hulk,Cap,etc it wasnt the Ultimate Universe:D

The Krystal Method
September 26th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I'm sure it's going to be explained in YA/Runaways.

Mario
September 26th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Marvel Boy was always in the 616 universe. Dr. Midas showed up in an Iron Man issue, in flashback.

DABEARS
September 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM
His ship finally brought him to the 616 Marvel Universe. His ship could travel between the different Universes and he was trying to get to the Marvel Universe proper.. Maybe he finally did.

Butch Mapa
September 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I'm just glad the character is being used. Hope they don't kill him off in this mini!

Jeff Shabazz
September 27th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Who cares, he kicks butt.

Ugh
September 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Based on that description, I'd say it's resonable to then assume he's from the ultimate universe and was stranded here.

They have shown up and they're brown, scuttly things, captain Marvel also exists in The Ult. universe, he had surgery to pass a human by the kree (cause of a whole plot aginst the humans with Ult. Galactus) but he defected. The guy from the Cube said he was from another dimension anyway: Our boy here was stranded with an army of interdimensional Kree
also: We killed the bloated intelligence, of course Its multi dimensional ideas were far too dangerous
another: He may be from another dimension but he is a Kree all the same.
I rest my case...

Ugh
September 27th, 2006, 02:21 PM
wow... suddenly its all gone quiet... *cricket chirps*