PDA

View Full Version : Mindless detail: How tall is Wonder Woman, really?

Stheno
November 10th, 2005, 11:19 PM
This came up briefly during the discussion of actresses to play her in the movie, and I think it's worth thinking about. Wonder Woman, as drawn in the early part of Rucka's run (drawn by Drew Johnson, if I recall correctly) stands about half a head to a full head taller than the average American male, and looks about eye to eye with Superman (she's slightly shorter, I think). This would put her at about 6'3" or so, roughly Batman's height. This height remains more or less consistent throughout her solo book, and there was a throwaway comment in the issue of The Flash that she appeared in about her being rather tall.

Someone mentioned, however, that her "official" height is 5'11"....clearly much shorter than she is currently drawn as. But if you look at, say, old Superfriends episodes (or screenshots, which are easy to come by on the Internet), you can see that she's about up to Batman's shoulder, which puts her at about 5'11".

Let's look at a third source: Justice League Unlimited. Check out this picture: http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/images/050109/justiceleagueunlimited.jpg

Now, she might appear to be shoulder height to Superman, but don't let that fool you; that's just perspective. Superman is closer to the "camera". They're in a phalanx formation, so presumably she's about the same distance from Superman as Batman is. And she appears to be the same size as Batman. The only problem here is that judging by the picture, everyone in the Justice League is about the same height; Supergirl and Aquaman look to be about the same height, which doesn't sound right to me (the picture also begs the question of how Green Arrow is flying, but that's a whole 'nother matter).

Here is another picture that looks fairly recent. Wonder Woman looks to be about shoulder height to Superman, which puts her closer to 5'11" http://www.kryptoys.com/picsfolder/jlagroup.jpg

And this Alex Ross portrait seems to agree: http://www.emeralddawn.com/images2/JLASO.jpg , though she looks taller than she does in the previous picture, she's still a bit shorter than Batman, and just over shoulder height to Superman.

Confused? Probably not...it's a pretty mundane topic. But size and scale tends to vary greatly for a lot of characters...Luke Cage is a similar case. He appeared in two comics this week: Friendly Neighborhood Superman (his shoulders and arms are huge, his shoulder width is greater than Captain America's), and The Pulse (he appears to have a more athletic frame; his physique is smaller than Captain America's). Now even if we account for the difference between the drawing styles of Michael Gaydos and Mike Wiernigo, there's still a serious difference in scale. And I can think of a lot more examples (Spiderman goes from 5'8" and built like a swimmer to 5'11" and built like a decathalete)

Bog
November 10th, 2005, 11:41 PM
WW's secret power is the ability to change height at will.

avathar476
November 10th, 2005, 11:42 PM
5'11, unless they've changed it again somewhat.

Bog
November 10th, 2005, 11:43 PM
My version was so much easier.

Stheno
November 10th, 2005, 11:46 PM
When was the last time she was 5'11"? Personally I thought the 6'3" Wonder Woman worked better, since it kind of sets her apart from people, which is, ironically, the exact opposite of what she wants. 5'11" is pretty common...most fashion models are that tall. 6'3" is like professional athlete height.

But again, this is all kind of hard to nail down. For the record, I like Johnson's Wonder Woman (obviously Rags is doing a great job too), Romita Jr.'s Spiderman, and I'm still deciding about Luke Cage.

John Hays
November 10th, 2005, 11:53 PM
I'd have to say 6'3"

One, she's an Amazon..they're supposed to be big.

Two, I'm 6'3" and I am particularly attracted to beautiful, tall women so naturally I'm biased! :p

Stheno
November 11th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I think 6'3" is the modern Wonder Woman, which makes sense. Back in the 60's/70's, 5'11" was "amazonian" height for a woman. Yes, there were taller woman, but not in the mainstream. Fashion models weren't near that tall back then.

Now, 5'11" is like a minimum height for fashion models (I hear it's harder for shorter women to get jobs in that industry), and we can turn on TV and see 6'2"+ women playing basketball and soccer.

avathar476
November 11th, 2005, 04:20 AM
I'd have to say 6'3"

One, she's an Amazon..they're supposed to be big.

Two, I'm 6'3" and I am particularly attracted to beautiful, tall women so naturally I'm biased! :p

6'3"? So that makes Clark & Bruce like what? 6'6""? :p

avathar476
November 11th, 2005, 04:20 AM
When was the last time she was 5'11"? Personally I thought the 6'3" Wonder Woman worked better, since it kind of sets her apart from people, which is, ironically, the exact opposite of what she wants. 5'11" is pretty common...most fashion models are that tall. 6'3" is like professional athlete height.

But again, this is all kind of hard to nail down. For the record, I like Johnson's Wonder Woman (obviously Rags is doing a great job too), Romita Jr.'s Spiderman, and I'm still deciding about Luke Cage.

She's just a tall woman, **** it! :p

avathar476
November 11th, 2005, 04:22 AM
I think 6'3" is the modern Wonder Woman, which makes sense. Back in the 60's/70's, 5'11" was "amazonian" height for a woman. Yes, there were taller woman, but not in the mainstream. Fashion models weren't near that tall back then.

Now, 5'11" is like a minimum height for fashion models (I hear it's harder for shorter women to get jobs in that industry), and we can turn on TV and see 6'2"+ women playing basketball and soccer.

If that were the case then that makes Clark & Bruce over 6'5". Interesting but i just don't buy it.

Stheno
November 11th, 2005, 04:35 AM
6'3"? So that makes Clark & Bruce like what? 6'6""? :p

No...see, I was using them as the measuring stick. I assume Batman is 6'4"'; so in a picture where Wonder Woman is looking at him eye to eye, more or less, I figure she's about 6'3". I usually place Superman about 6'5" or 6'6". Again, all of them were probably shorter during the Silver/Gold Age, when average height was shorter.

Superfriends Wonder Woman looks to be about 5'8" without the heels. Standard female height, not really tall. JLU Wonder Woman has very long legs, but doesn't look much taller. Kingdom Come Wonder Woman, despite the poster, looks much closer to Batman's height, though to be fair, he's bent with age by that point.

Stheno
November 11th, 2005, 04:39 AM
She's just a tall woman, **** it! :p

Eh, 5'11" doesn't really qualify as "tall woman" anymore. It's slightly above average, but far from Amazonian. I imagine Barbara Gordon was about 5'10" before she was put in a wheelchair. 5'11" is probably about Storm's size.

And again, there's scale to think about. Look back at an issue of Wonder Woman...she is, on average, about half a head taller than the average male in the book. Average male height for Americans is about 5'10" or so...at the least, that puts her around 6'2".

pimpernel
November 11th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Do we really care exactly how tall she is?

Stheno
November 11th, 2005, 06:26 AM
That's why the topic is called "mindless detail". It's an interesting question, I think. If you look at older comics and cartoons, she's visibly shorter than Batman and Superman, always. Looking at more modern comics...for example, I have a single issue of Teen Titans (#7, the issue where Diana tries to drag Cassie out of the Teen Titans, and gets into a fight with Starfire over the issue), Diana is basically the same height as Superman.

Was this a post-crisis thing? Or something more recent than that? Maybe we can differentiate Silver Age Wonder Woman by calling her "Little Diana" now, and the current one will be "Big Diana". :)

dclover
November 11th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I know that according to dccomics.com she is 5'11" but she sure isn't drawn as being that height. I agree that she should be or at least is 6' 3". :D

4PointOh
November 11th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I think that right before his run hit the newsstands, Greg Rucka, in WIZARD, was quoted as saying that his Diana was about 6'2", 6'3". DC's official stance, however, hasn't changed. She's still thought of as about 5'11".

Mick Fury
November 11th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Wildcat is the anti-Wonder Woman with regard to height. He's been listed at 6'6" in JSA Secret Files (by comparison Hawkman is at 6'1") yet he's always drawn shorter than the other guys(and Power Girl). I think these numbers in Secret Files and Who's Whos are just thrown out there without a whole lot of thought.

Mike

pimpernel
November 11th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I found it pretty funny that Darwyn Cooke's Diana was a clear three or four inches bigger than Superman... which put her at around 6'7" or 6'8" at least.

rooboy666
November 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I believe she's about 6'0" in height. My wife is 6'0" tall, and that's actually pretty tall for a woman.

lilyha
November 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I believe she's about 6'0" in height. My wife is 6'0" tall, and that's actually pretty tall for a woman.

it's extremely tall for a woman. the average american woman's height is 5'4". everyone's always remarking on how tall my mom is, and she's only 5'7"... but then again, it could be because my dad's 5'2" :p

Stheno
November 11th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I wasn't speaking of average American height, I was referring to what people are going to think of as "Amazonian". 5'11", while tall, is fashion model height. I wouldn't say it's extremely tall for a woman. I'm a guy, and about 5'10" (average american male height). I meet girls roughly my height all the time. It's not really exotically tall. Once you pass 6'0" you start getting into pro athlete height. There's no question in my mind that Wonder Woman is currently, at the least, about 6'2". And it's not just in Rucka's books, though it may have been as recent as the past two years or so.

Really, the thing that interests me about this is how much height varies for so many characters. Wolverine goes from average male height to being shorter than Spiderman.

avathar476
November 11th, 2005, 08:50 PM
She's just a really tall woman, Stheno.

Stheno
November 11th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I thought you said she was 5'11", Avathar? :)

I guess what I'm really curious about is if anyone thinks there is a reason why height and build vary so much with certain characters. I mean, Daredevil always looks like Daredevil. Superman remains pretty much static. So why do only certain characters vary so much? Is it an artist thing, or is it written into the script?

Flying Saucers Over Oz
November 12th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Let's compromise: She's 5'10, 6'3 in heels. :)

krhorneman
November 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I think very, very few characters don't experience a lot of variation in height, simply because height isn't a defining characteristic for any but a handful of characters, and no one cares to make it consistent, nor is there a well established physical height for most characters. I nearly laughed out loud when I read the recent TT SF&O and saw Superboy listed at 5'7", 160.

Stheno
November 12th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Let's compromise: She's 5'10, 6'3 in heels. :)

LOL, she hasn't worn heels in years.

WonderWatcher
November 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
my two penneth;

The 'official' height is 5'11" : http://www.dccomics.com/secret_files/dc_character.php?sc_dc_itemCode=wonderwoman

I am reliably informed that Greg / Drew 'grew' her to 6'2" at the start of their run.

As an aside, 5'11" is still pretty tall for a woman. I live in Holland, the Dutch happen to be on average the worlds tallest population, I think the average for women here is 5'8" which is pretty tall. Even so I don't see that many girls over 5'11" without heels. So I'd say 5'11" is still tall enough for an Amazon.

Stheno
November 13th, 2005, 04:04 PM
5'11" is tall for a woman. But it isn't Amazonian. You don't even start hearing a woman referred to as "Amazonian" until she breaks 6'0".

To put it another way, I would be disappointed if she "shrunk". :)

WonderWatcher
November 13th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I never heard of a 6' rule before.

Stheno
November 13th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Just going by personal experience. When I see a woman that's 5'11", I don't think "wow, that's a tall woman". When I run into a woman who's taller than I am, that's when I think she's tall. Most guys I know are the same way. We take 5'11" for granted now, since all fashion models and a lot of movie stars are that tall.

Maplecroft
November 13th, 2005, 06:09 PM
After infinite crisis she'll be 6 feet under

Stheno
November 13th, 2005, 06:22 PM
*da-boom-KSHHHH!*

Thank you folks, she'll be here all week! :)

Seriously, I find it more likely they'll re-kill Donna Troy, or maybe Supergirl. Diana is in lockdown at the Hague right now, not fighting at the center of the Universe.

avathar476
November 14th, 2005, 12:52 AM

;) :D :D

WonderWatcher
November 14th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I LOL'd ;)

WonderWatcher
November 14th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Just going by personal experience. When I see a woman that's 5'11", I don't think "wow, that's a tall woman". When I run into a woman who's taller than I am, that's when I think she's tall. Most guys I know are the same way. We take 5'11" for granted now, since all fashion models and a lot of movie stars are that tall.

Ahh it's not a six foot rule, it's a 'taller than Stheno' rule :o ,in that case I am even more in the dark. Can you send me a lifesize cardoard cutout I can use to gauge the next tall woman I come across, woudn't want to call anyone 5'11" tall by mistake. :)

Thank god they grew her to 6'2" and we don't have to argue, that is tall!.

Stheno
November 14th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I'm just saying...people naturally judge relative things (like height) based on themselves. A person shorter than me will never be "tall" in my mind. Most men are the same way.

WonderWatcher
November 14th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I know what you meant Stheno, I'm just kidding with you.... :D

avathar476
November 15th, 2005, 03:01 AM
DC still lists her at 5'11" Stheno.

Stheno
November 15th, 2005, 03:09 AM
Yes, we know. But DC hasn't drawn her as 5'11" in a couple of years.

avathar476
November 15th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Yes, we know. But DC hasn't drawn her as 5'11" in a couple of years.

Is it really 5"11 or 6'3"? ;)

krhorneman
November 15th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Rolling eyes. It isn't "really" either, it's subject to artist interpretation same as anything else. Height is even worse, in that the only real way to judge it is compared to other people they're standing next to which means a) you have the artists interpretation of 2 or more people's heights, not just WW's and b) you have to worry about the perspective from which the scene is drawn, which at best is at least a little ambiguous.

pimpernel
November 15th, 2005, 09:43 AM
DC still lists her at 5'11" Stheno.

No they don't. (http://www.dccomics.com/secret_files/)

avathar476
November 15th, 2005, 10:28 PM

6 feet? Hmmm......okey then. ;)

Stheno
November 15th, 2005, 10:40 PM
it's a difference of an inch, really. The difference I was talking about is in scale; she went from significantly shorter than Batman/Superman to being about as tall as Batman.

WonderWatcher
November 16th, 2005, 03:20 AM

yes they do.... http://www.dccomics.com/secret_file...ode=wonderwoman :confused:

LOL!.

Can we end this thread now?.

She's just tall, right ? :)

but with reference to your link pimpernel, I just can't believe DC want to do away with all that, despite all the rumours.

UltimateStanlos
November 21st, 2005, 11:09 PM
I think that right before his run hit the newsstands, Greg Rucka, in WIZARD, was quoted as saying that his Diana was about 6'2", 6'3". DC's official stance, however, hasn't changed. She's still thought of as about 5'11".

6'2" or 6'3" makes sense to me. She should be larger than life. I loved that about Drew's work on the book!

Stheno
November 21st, 2005, 11:34 PM
Amen. Drew is probably my favorite Wonder Woman artist.

avathar476
November 22nd, 2005, 12:28 AM
Can't believe this thread is still here.

UltimateStanlos
November 22nd, 2005, 03:43 PM
Is there a "let's give props to the outgoing team" thread?